PDA

View Full Version : Banner type advertising on this forum

John G
01-12-2009, 01:07 AM
Just opened the site to be greated with a banner type add, at the top of the screen, that said i had 1 new message. On clicking this its opened up an advert for a trading company :shock: not a new message at all. :evil: It only appeared when I wasn't logged on - don't think this is a very good idea to be on the front page of a site wanting new users.

Cheers John

purpledragon
01-12-2009, 10:07 AM
it nearly had me too i8 suspect that its a side effect of a free forum i doubt admin have a choice of what adverts can be displayed, best bet is beware of ads like thyese and make sure you are logged in
Brett

AJLA
01-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I had it too from Matalan!

John G
01-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi Purpledragon, It doesn't really matter if its a free site to join, surely admin or whoever uploads the site has to approve site content. I know that to make this site work money needs to be generated somehow - I just think sneakely place adds like this don't belong here and would scare off potential members.

Just my humble opinion though

Paul
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
hi. you all right about it. its not nice to have snicky adds like this. but belive me. justin, john or me have nothing to do with it. those adverts a showing only to unloged people and they out of our control. we have no rights to aprove or skip adds. this skript is run by google. this happen when you chose free forum engine... but dont worry. we already thinking about moving this to normal, private hosting fully run by us.

JSR
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
What browser are you guys using?

I'm using Seamonkey with NoScript and AdBlock+ and see no adverts (even when logged out). If you're using Firefox or a variant, I suggest you install those plugins and kill the ads.

I know a free site needs advertising to sustain itself but when the ads resort to sneaky tricks to get you to click, then it's time to give them the big elbow.

John G
01-12-2009, 02:23 PM
opologies, didn't realise that google had control of this site. :shock:

Paul
01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
opologies, didn't realise that google had control of this site. :shock: no need for appology mate. google is not runing this site. but company who own forums portal stick them there. jsr is right. is preety simple to block them all.

Justin
01-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Currently the forum is run on a free platform, this means that unregistered users get the adverts, registered users don't.

You will only receive personal messages when you are logged in.

I am currently looking into other platforms/solutions but please appreciate that the forum is still in its early stages and generates no revenue whatsoever.

I do believe that this platform has given us an excellent spring board that I will improve just as soon as I have the time (and funds) to do so.

Appreciate that the ads are annoying, I just saw them myself before I logged in and I hate them. Please bear with us, I do appreciate all of your feedback though.

Justin :-)

John G
01-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi all, I didn't appreciate the fact that this site was run on a free platform, now that it's been explained I can understand where the adds come from.

Still don't agree with them though :lol:

Cheers John

Paul
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Still don't agree with them though :lol:

Cheers John

me too ;)

Justin
01-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Just had a look into the adverts situation, I hadn't realised by paying for a small upgrade I could get rid of them for both guests and registered users.

I've now made this upgrade and the adverts are gone.

Appreciate the feedback John, hope you agree that this has made the forum more inviting.

Justin :-)

Flash
01-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Hooray http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_cheers.png I got done by the Matalan one too!

Phil

Justin
01-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Matalan is no more......on here that is!
J :-)