PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh GX5050n

Justin
27-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Just about to buy one of these for sublimation. Heard great things about them so I have high hopes. So fed up with bulk systems and refil. cart's! Don't even talk to me about Epson head cleans!

Will post again when I get the printer/inks and have a chance to test it all out.

Anyone else using the Ricoh's yet?

Justin :-)

Karen.
29-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Just to let you know I had an email yesterday from hometogifts - they have theirs reduced at the moment if you havn't already decided where to by from.

I have been watching any reviews for them with great interest as we looked into getting one a while back, but decided against it at the time as was not sure how ecconomical it would work out. Still watching out for reviews though.

Justin
29-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, Home2Gifts reduced the GX7000 to £399+vat but I found it for £348+vat, they couldn't price match I'm afraid.

I've ordered a GX5050n, decided that seeing as I very rarely need anything other than A4 size prints I may as well go for the cheaper option. I believe the 5050 is a quicker printer as well. Ordered the inks from Xpres as I value their support, would have got these from BMS but not been getting any response from Martin to my emails recently.

I'm intrigued to find out how well the inks last. I assume it must put less ink down on the paper to be so economical....time will tell! Not having to head clean all the while should make a diffference as well.

I considered getting abother bulk system for my new 1400 but wanted to get away from that if possible. I've been experimenting with 'other' inks recently and have had mixed results. On the whole I was very pleased but getting the profile right was proving tricky.

Fingers crossed printer and inks will arrive this week :) I will keep the post updated.

Justin

Stitch Up
01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I bought the GX7000 a couple of months back but not donre a lot with it yet.

We had a main sewer pipe burst and wipe out our garage so we've seixed the opportunity to set it up for our embroidery and printing business. I'll post some pics when it's half-tidy!!

John

Justin
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Hi John,

Let us know how you get on with the GX7000, my GX5050 is arriveing tomorrow soI'll hopefully be posting again soon.

It would be great to see some pics of your new 'premises'! maybe we should set up a gallery?

Cheers,

PS Welcome into the forum John, nice to have you here!

Stitch Up
01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
I'm really stitch-up but can't get into the forum using that ID. I tried setting it up again but no joy :(

Justin
02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Way Hay! It's arrived!................but the subli inks havn't :-(

All unpacked ready to go but I havn't had my inks from Xpres, really wanted to get it up and running this weekend. Oh well, have to be a bit more patient.

Justin
10-10-2009, 10:12 PM
OK, had the GX5050N for a few days now, using SubliR inks from Xpres.

First impressions, decent build quality, nice to get away from the Epson at last. Inks load into the front, no mess, no hassle. Unit is quite large for an A4 printer.

Print speed is as expected, rapid. It throws detailed prints out in seconds, the claimed 12 seconds to print compared to over a minute on the Epson 1400 would appear to be true. Quality wise it isn't on a par with the 1400 for finer detail but it's close enough, let's not forget that sublimation isn't intended for fine art reproduction! I've just managed to get the 5050 to print something for a customer, previously the print was done on a very expensive Epson 4800 8 colour, took minutes to print. The 5050 is producing a much more realistic print.

Overall I'm very pleased. Too early to talk about ink usage. A large amount goes into the pipes when it first charges so the graphs go down rapidly initially but havn't moved since and I've done a fair few prints.

Fingers crossed this is the major leap forward many have been waiting for. Finally we ca get rid of Epson head cleaning!!!

michc
17-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi

I changed to the GX5050n a couple of months ago, had lots of colour problems when I tried to use it with a mac but since I've changed to using it with a pc it's working fine - really quick, great quality and ink doesn't seem to be going down.

Michele

Justin
17-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi Michele,

I've just done a decent size run on mine and I agree the ink doesn't seem to go down! Can you believe the speed? I ran off 10 A4 sheets in less than 90 seconds, detailed image, almost full coverage. That would have taken up to 2 minutes a page on my Epson!

Interesting to hear you had problems on the Mac. I know nothing about Macs but wonder if it was just a profile problem? Not many folk use the Mac for sublimation so it would be difficult to get you any advice. if you can stick to the PC that should make life easier for you.

Justin http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_jokercolor.png

michc
17-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Justin

yes, support for the mac s thin on the ground. i don't mind using the pc but I've not got the same amount of software :( I like the look of coreldraw but it's expensive and I'd need to learn how to use it but it might be worth it :D

Michele

Justin
17-10-2009, 11:16 PM
You can pick up older version of CorelDraw quite cheap. I tend to use X3 (v13) but v12 is very good. Some folk have problems with X4 and sublimation, I couldn't get on with it so went back a version.

I love CorelDraw, been using it for years. I started to use the Adobe suite at my last company but I find it very overcomplicated (not being a designer!) Corel does pretty much everything I need.

Justin http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_jokercolor.png

michc
17-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks Justin, I'll have a look for version 12 or 13

Michele

accdave
29-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Any update on the performance of these printers ?

I keep looking at the 7000 ( and recounting my pennies for when I can afford it :D ) .

bms
29-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't believe the GX5050 is available anymore as it has been discontinued by Ricoh (already!). All feedback I hear is positive for the Ricoh printers.

accdave
29-10-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't believe the GX5050 is available anymore as it has been discontinued by Ricoh (already!).

Blimey are Ricoh trying to be Epson :D

Whats available now then ?

Justin
29-10-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm getting on OK with the 5050. I still notice that the print is nowhere near as crisp as on my Epson 1400 but results are more than acceptable.

Bit worried about ink usage. A lot of ink is drawn into the pipes so it's a little difficult to get an exact idea but magenta and cyan appear very low and I've not printed all that many sheets. It will need to last a fair bit longer to convince me that it's that muche better than the Epson with a CIS.

Justin

bms
29-10-2009, 09:09 PM
On the Ricoh supported sublimation printers, it's just the GX7000 at the moment. Ricoh pushed the price of this machine up by £120 +vat to the trade in September - my cynical mind thinks they can make a few more £££ now the printer is getting good reviews from the sublimation printing community.

Justin
29-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I half expected costs to increase on the Ricohs. Surprised to hear the 5050 has been stopped though. I guess most folk buy A3 but if you do very little work larger than A4 it's a great deal more on your initial purchase price.

Stock of the 5050 will be running low soon then.

Justin

bms
29-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Stock of the 5050 will be running low soon then.

Yes it will. I presume Sawgrass had notice of this when they launched the inks for this range as the GX5050 only has icc profile support rather than the PowerDriver software (which comes with the GX7000). Word was that Sawgrass wouldn't devote the time to get PowerDriver to work with the GX5050 because of it's short life before being replaced with ... (watch this space)

JSR
29-10-2009, 11:09 PM
You would have thought that with all the money Sawgrass make from us dye-subbers the world over, they'd invest in manufacturing their own printer rather than adapting everyone else's.

I can't be the only one who's fed up with this rapid revolving-door policy of printers being discontinued every two minutes.

Makes me wonder why there is still no serious alternative to these printers. All these years dye-sub has been around, and we're still squirting ink down tubes that weren't designed for these inks in the first place. Progress is just something that happens to other people, isn't it?

GoldRapt
01-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes it will. I presume Sawgrass had notice of this when they launched the inks for this range as the GX5050 only has icc profile support rather than the PowerDriver software (which comes with the GX7000). Word was that Sawgrass wouldn't devote the time to get PowerDriver to work with the GX5050 because of it's short life before being replaced with ... (watch this space)
Are you sure powerdriver wont work with the 5050 please as I have been told that it will?
TIA

Justin
01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
I've heard that the 5050 is better just using profiles rather than the Powerdriver. I've I used Powerdriver on a 4800 in my last job and found it a pain in the bum, much happier working with just a profile personally.

Justin

Stitch Up
01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I had problems with the Powerdriver on the GX7000 in that the printable area is less than that available using an ICC profile.

I downloaded and tried using the templates from Xpres BUT, the coaters template for example had 6 square coasters - wouldn't print using the Powerdriver - chopped the bottom off 2!.

Justin
01-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes, that was what I had heard. TBH I never really saw much use in the Powerdriver but maybe it was just that particular installation.

Justin

Justin
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm hearing great things about the Ricoh printers but I have to say personally having lived with this one for a few weeks now, I am really disappointed with the print quality. Maybe I need to try different paper or something but my images are nowhere near as crisp as they were with any of my Epson printers, even the D88 and D120. For what I've paid to set this thing up I expected something better :-(

I'll have to look at everything again, maybe get my paper/inks supplier to print off a test sheet for me.

Stitch Up
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
As you know, we have the GX7000 from Ricoh. We've not done a great deal with it but, what we have done has been really impressive.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the GX5050 and the GX7000, other than the paper handling, but we're really happy with ours.

John

Stitch Up
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
One thing I must add, we're far more critical about the stuff we produce than our customers are!

Justin
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Me too, most customers wouldn't notice any difference I guess. But when you're looking at every detail day in day out!

7000 and 5050 should print the same I believe, only difference is paper size handling. I;ve been through the setup in maintenance as suggested by someone on another forum but everything's still the same.

I've emailed Xpres who's paper I use to see if they will print one out and send it to me for side by side comparison.

Stitch Up
08-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Xpres are usually quite helpful I find, so good luck.

John

Justin
08-11-2009, 10:35 PM
Anyone with either a 5050 or 7000 printer be able to print me an A4 test sheet of my image please? Send me a PM if you can help.

Thanks,

GoldRapt
08-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Once Ive bought and received the inks mate I will.

Justin
18-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Well, I'm back to the Epson D120. Getting far better prints on that than the 5050 :-(

I've started to read reviews that the 5050 just isn't up to standard now. It's being said that it prints too quickly to get a decent image quality, something that I'm deffo finding.

Oh well, you live and learn. Wish I'd taken the time to look at the Ricohs more before I re-mortgaged!

Justin :-(

bms
18-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Are you sure powerdriver wont work with the 5050 please as I have been told that it will?

Sorry I missed this question. Pretty sure the GX5050 won't support PowerDriver software.

Justin
18-11-2009, 11:57 PM
I think there's a problem with the print area if you use the Powerdriver. I used to use this on an Epson 4800 and had didn't rate it against just using a profile.

Justin

bms
19-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Is this because the profile is set to American page settings rather than A4?

Justin
19-11-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure, it's not something I've tried personally, just read it many times.

GoldRapt
19-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I'm back to the Epson D120. Getting far better prints on that than the 5050 :-(

I've started to read reviews that the 5050 just isn't up to standard now. It's being said that it prints too quickly to get a decent image quality, something that I'm deffo finding.

Oh well, you live and learn. Wish I'd taken the time to look at the Ricohs more before I re-mortgaged!

Very odd mate,
I have an friend who runs a dye sub business using a ricoh with inks supplied by martin and he says both rock.

Justin
19-11-2009, 10:06 PM
This is what several users have told me and what I based the purchase on but now I'm being told that the image cannot compete with a good Epson.

:-(

DaveM
20-11-2009, 08:05 AM
I have a 7000 that is my first dye-sub printer so a bit hard for me to do direct comparisons.

I am a complete fussy git, and have had nothing but praise I could say so far with the printer
and inks.

Dave

Justin
20-11-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder if the 7000 is a better printer for sublimation because it is slower than the 5050?

Justin

Justin
21-11-2009, 11:00 PM
"Sawgrass PartnerPlus comprehensive support program is included for the total product solution - with free technical support on-line through a dedicated call centre."

...and I quote. Does this mean Ricoh WILL support the printers despite sublimation ink being installed? I know Epson would frown on it from a warranty point of view. Still waiting for a response from Ricoh anyway...very dissapointing that I've not heard a thing :-(

Justin

bms
22-11-2009, 10:13 AM
I would have expected Sawgrass to offer the
comprehensive support program.I know when they first launched the white ink in the Epson printers and had problems with head blocking that Sawgrass were picking up the support cost of replacing printheads/ printers.

GoldRapt
22-11-2009, 11:07 AM
white ink for inkjets.......

bms
22-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Yes this is the Direct to Garment printing process. The system uses/ used an Epson printer with 8 cartridges - 4 of them were white ink and the other 4 were CMYK. The printer puts down the image in white ink first and then lays colour on top of this (in a nutshell). Systems are/ were several thousand pounds, but the principle is/ was excellent. There are other systems on the market that have this technology.

GoldRapt
22-11-2009, 04:07 PM
any in the sub 500£ market please?

bms
22-11-2009, 04:34 PM
The only option you have for white ink type printing in the sub £500 market is the Magic Touch WOW7.1 papers but this is starting to go off topic. Might be worth a new thread if we're talking possibilities of printing onto dark garments. :D

Calypso Bay
29-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Justin,

Ebay seem to have a company advertising the RICOH GX5050N for £60.00 plus delivery. Brand New. Should I go for it. I'm down the road from them and so can save £15.00 for delivery charges. Please can you check the item and let me know mate. I can go down tomorrow. Its hard to believe but they are saying its unused and comes with ink and a years warranty. Names is printraders and item number is 170413679549.

Cheers mate,

Calypso

GoldRapt
29-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I bought mine from them , despite warnings I found it to be OEM with warranty and Me and one or two others are happy:D

Justin
29-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Same here, £60, brand new. Found them just after I paid £250 for one to use for Subli :-( Guess how I feel?
Justin

Calypso Bay
29-11-2009, 11:30 PM
can anyone tell me how i get a CISS system to attach? to the printers???

Justin
29-11-2009, 11:36 PM
The Ricoh use cartridges not CIS. The carts will set you back £60 a piece (£240!) Personally I wish I hadn't dived in and set a Ricoh up as my D120 is putting out better images at the moment!

No choice in the Ricoh though, it's a Gelsprinter so needs the Artainium.

Justin

John G
29-11-2009, 11:47 PM
Bought mine from them too - was that impressed i've bought another as a spare for any future problems, none so far, touch wood. :D

Calypso Bay
03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Hi Again All!

Just touching base again. I decided to chance it with the Ricoh GX5050N and went down to print traders in Stockport. My God! It was a printers scrap yard, I kid you not! It was massive and I was dazed for a few moments just looking at the number of printers they had. They are based in an old mill, and occupy one of the floors whch would be the size of a large Tesco's. There were printers everywhere! They've bought out the remaining stock of the GX5050n's and have plenty in stock if anyone wants one.

Whilst on the subject, where do you guys get your sublimation cartridges for them and what are you paying, if you dont mind me asking.

Cheers.

bms
03-12-2009, 10:17 PM
The cartridges are £59/£60 +vat each or you can get a full set of 4 for £235+vat. You will need to download the ICC profile from the Sawgrass webiste for the GX5050.

Calypso Bay
03-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks Martin,

I am hoping to get the DF1 from you soon aswell mate.

Justin
03-12-2009, 10:29 PM
You can have my 5050 I'm about to put it in the bin. Xpres have been no help whatsoever which is a shame as I've been buying from them for many years.
Ricoh Support ignore all emails. Only option I have is to send the printer back under warranty but I'll lose the subli ink in there which as we know is the expensive bit :-(

Justin

Calypso Bay
03-12-2009, 10:33 PM
Sorry to learn you've had problems Justin. I hope mine turns out okay. What actually happened to it? Perhaps a member can advise?
What have you got in mind next for a printer, then or are you sticking with the D120?

Justin
03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm getting very thin lines across the image which transfer into the print, tried all the usual cleaning/flushing, even reset to factory standards in case I'd changed the head alignment incorrectly but the lines remain.
I find the image quality nowhere near as good as any of my Epsons, D120, 1400, even the D88 was better.
I've now been told on 3 seperate occasions (including a major supplier) that the 5050 cannot come close to a 1400 on image quality.

I've ben using my D120 which is working a treat with refillable carts. had to ditch the 1400 due to a blocked head so I'm weary but would like to return to this printer one day.

bms
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM
No choice in the Ricoh though, it's a Gelsprinter so needs the Artainium.

The Ricoh doesn't use Artainium ink, but rather Subli-Jet ink. Sawgrass have 3 brands of ink which are slighly different - (1) Subli-Jet (mainly sold in the US but also available from a couple of suppliers in the UK) and this generally uses the PowerDriver Software, (2) Artainium which is mostly sold in the UK and (3) Rotech following the acquisition of Rotech in Europe by Sawgrass.

The Ricoh uses inks branded as Subli-JetR which effectively allows the distributors of Artainium ink sell Subli-JetR inks (normally an Artainium dealer could not sell Subli-Jet inks due to the agreement signed with Sawgrass).

Justin - I would expect Xpres to support the problem you're reporting, or at least contact Sawgrass on your behalf.

Justin
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
My apologies for this oversight, I have Artainium on the brain!

The inks were from Xpres but the printer was sourced elsewhere as I was unable to get the package together. Otherwise I would ask Xpres to compensate me for the ink.

Justin

Justin
17-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Quick update......

Can't find the time to call Ricoh I'm afraid right now. Not had the printer running for a couple of weeks so i thought I'd have a quick go.

Turned it on, took ages to start up. Now telling me that 2 of the cart's are close to replacement! Can't believe how quickly these have gone. Not sure how many prints I've done in total but it really seems to have gone quickly.

Couple of test prints, colours seem ok but still getting a line which is noticable across solid areas, about 1.5cm wide. I'm pretty sure this is due to a head alignment problem, been through setting that up but no improvment.

Seriously unhappy with how this first go with the Ricoh has been. I was looking at going A3, either the GX7000 or maybe a 1400, I have my doubts both ways.

Oh well, hopefully find some time to call Ricoh

Calypso Bay
17-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Hi Justin,

Ive had mine sitting in the front room. I was going to use the garage but its too cold in there at the moment. Im going to have to set up in the bedroom until the winter passes. Ordered the corel draw book and hoping to get the software and the ink as the money comes in.

Fingers crossed with the Ricoh!!!

Justin
17-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Everything crossed! My D120 has now decided to play up. Very strange, just did a run of prints that contained high level of magenta and now the magenta has become blocked. This is exactly what happened with my last 1400, same job, same number of prints, magenta gets blocked and can't be cleared.

Uhm.....

JSR
18-12-2009, 12:19 AM
Everything crossed! My D120 has now decided to play up. Very strange, just did a run of prints that contained high level of magenta and now the magenta has become blocked. This is exactly what happened with my last 1400, same job, same number of prints, magenta gets blocked and can't be cleared.

Uhm.....

I had a similar thing with the Cyan on Monday. Looked pretty terminal. But I (kind of) followed the advice of BMS on another thread and stuffed a syringe up the underside of the Cyan cartridge, yanked a bunch of ink through it, and it's been working fine ever since! :lol: In fact it's better than before because the black-only option is working without spraying ink all over the place. Gawd knows how fixing the Cyan also fixed the Black but I'm not looking that gift horse in its cakebox... :D

My refillables for my 1290S arrived today so I'll be playing about with them over Christmas.

The Phoenix
19-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi - I to have a GX5050N and I'm absolutely amazed at the speed at which it prints. I also have an Epson, which appears to have clogged heads on the black. Colours are ok, but alas .... The Epson gave beautiful quality images, but in less than 3 weeks of non use the black printheads seemed to have clogged. I tried cleaning them without success. I took the cartridge head out (CIS system) to check they were full of ink and they were. Replacing the cartridge unit allowed me to do one test print then seized up again. As yet I cannot complain of the quality of print from the Ricoh.

John G
24-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi All, Quick update on my ricoh - I too am amazed at the speed and quality on the 5050n - also just sold the standard ink carts (quick sale on fleebay) that came with my backup 5050n so the printers themselves have only cost me a grand total of £33.00 each :D

Any problems so far:
Cyan was printing a bit funny but cleared after one nozzle clean.
Cyan and Magenta are nearly empty after printing just over 100 sheets. This would be due to filling the tubes/pipes when new, as it splits these colours to make light versions, and also because I was printing very, very blocky/bold magenta/cyan text. The ink empty hasn't flashed up yet but the display looks close to the bottom of the readout.

Cheers John

Calypso Bay
24-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Hi John/ Justin et al,

I bought the GX5050N and looking for the best place for purchasing the sublimation ink cartridges. Please can you tell me:

(i) Would I be okay to set up the printer with the ordinary print cartridges to get the printer going and making sure it works fine and then replace the cartridges with dye sub ones, or would this create a complication?
(ii) I hope to experiment first with black ink on mugs, so should I just go for a black dye sub cartridge first, or would I need to install the complete set of four

(iii) Best place to buy due sub cartridges?

Cheers.

Mike

John G
24-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Mike,
DON'T put the standard ink carts in for testing, I read somewhere on a US site that once the standard inks have been in its very hard to change the Ricohs to work with sublimation ink.

There's not much difference in price across the net regarding the sublijet carts. Set of 4 at Xpres is £240.00 + carriage + vat and at BMS I think it was £235 + delivery + vat - or if bought seperately £60.00 per colour.

Not quite sure about only running one colour - not sure whether the printer would run.

Cheers John

Calypso Bay
24-12-2009, 01:44 PM
John,

Cheers mate. I might sell the cartridges on ebay then and bite the bullet with the dye sub cartridges. Bloody expensive those!!!

John G
24-12-2009, 02:34 PM
If you list the standard ink carts on ebay, and can wait a while, you might be able to get the same price for the ink carts as what you paid for the printer. :D making the printer free.

I couldn't wait and needed them sold fast, to pay for sublimation inks and supplies for xmas, so accepted a best offer of £40 for the full set. Second lot i've sold for this price but a few people are wanting a hell of a lot more.

Good luck. John

Calypso Bay
24-12-2009, 03:44 PM
OK mate,

I'll bear that in mind. Cheers

24-12-2009, 04:32 PM
It's not just me that's critical then? 20 years ago I worked in a print shop where we did screen printing, off-set litho printing, business cards on an Adana, and thermo something (I forget the name of the process now). I mainly worked on the A & M 1750 and 1850 offsets. Obviously, checking for set-off, colour registration, print sharpness, not to mention spelling and typos, etc., I still cast a critical eye over printed work. Consequently, some of my own print jobs I am more critical about than the recipients are. Old habits die hard. :evil:

I recently bought the Ricoh GX5050N. I am amazed at how fast it prints. Regarding print quality I cannot complain following one particular printout of heather flowers. :D

Mal

The Phoenix
24-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Previous post is from 'The Phoenix' not a guest

Mal

Justin
02-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Well, here's the latest update.......

I've had a bit of Technical support from a US based company which helped a little.
Long story short, I've changed the paper setting to glossy to slow the printer down and the prints I'm getting are very good. Most prints on inket paper setting are acceptable but for skin tones/gradients etc. it has to be glossy.
The inkjet paper setting is x10 faster than the glossy so this is a drawback.

I'm speaking to Sawgrass/Ricoh/Xpres about the whole thing. I've been told that Ricoh honour the warranty if SublijetR inks have been used and Sawgrass should compensate with 2 cart's of ink.

On some prints I'm still getting very fine banding lines but changing up to glossy paper seems to cure this. It's not a solution more a workaround.

I assume that changing the paper setting to glossy simply slows it down to allow for more drying time? I'm concerned that it's putting more ink down, maybe at a higher resolution? In which case this isn't acceptable.

The printer may still have to go back for replacement but I'm sticking with it.

Three of the carts (CMY) have almost gone. 200 colour pages not much to show for it so far.

Justin
04-01-2010, 08:03 PM
Another update........

Further test prints proved that the problem hasn't gone away :-(

Sawgrass emailed me today. Raising the paper quality to glossy does increase the ink usage and seems to be overcompensating rather than curing the problem. They also told me that they ONLY recommend Truepix paper through the 5050! First time I've heard this.

I have to post them some test prints that I managed to get out of the printer before the CMY inks ran out! 200 sheets.

The printer will no doubt need to be replaced by Ricoh but I'm waiting to hear about ink compensation and feedback on the print outs.

purpledragon
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
aghhhhh i just ordered a gx5050 i hope i have more luck with it than you are having
Brett

Justin
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
At least if you do have any problems I've probably covered them! Where are you getting printer & inks from? What paper 'did' you intend to use?

Keep us updated, be very interested to see how well you get on. I think I'm in the minority so you should be fine ;-)

purpledragon
05-01-2010, 12:40 AM
i use trupix paper normally so going on what sawgrass have told you i should be ok fingers crossed i'll keep you updated
Brett

Stitch Up
05-01-2010, 07:13 AM
What paper does Xpres sell, it's what we use and no problems - yet

Justin
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
The Xpres paper is branded by themselves. I've always sworn by it, never let me down and great price compared to others.
Maybe not so good through the Ricoh though :-(

Justin
07-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Ready for the next instalment?!

I've changed over to Truepix paper and the results so far have been far better than with the Xpres paper through the 5050. Colours are far more vivid.

I still have problems with the printer though. I've been working with Sawgrass who have been great. They sent me some test files to print that showed banding in the cyan. I still get lines across the image in gradients.

It now looks like the printer will have to be replaced. Word of warning, it appears, contrary to recent advice by another company, Ricoh do not honour the warranty once SubliR inks have been fitted.

Not been a very good experience for me swapping to the Ricoh, I hope things will improve but it's been a very long road to get to this stage.

Justin

Justin
11-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Just printed a couple of sheets out, lines are obvious throughout and colours have gone to pot. I know 99% of folk think these Ricoh's are the best thing since sliced bread but having persisited with this one I have to disagree! Maybe I got the 'one' that was faulty, that would be typical.

Can't get hold of Ricoh to try and arrange the replacement so that looks like being a length process now. I've wasted so much time, ink and paper :(

Wish I'd spent the money on the 1400 CIS again, never had a problem with the Artainium thorugh the Epsons.

John G
11-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi Justin,
I thought you would have it sorted by now - does sound like a dodgy printer though. Mine is installed on an XP computer with the ICC profile from the sawgrass site. The profile is set up the way they do it on youtube and i'm using xpres paper with really good results. The only thing i'm doing differently in set up is not having the ICM box (think its called that) ticked. Tried this box ticked and the prints came out very dull with crap quality.

I've also tried some unbranded paper a friend gave me and i'm very happy with the results - on par with xpres at a much cheaper price.

Cheers John