PDA

View Full Version : A3 Epson worth waiting for!

Flash
03-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi guy's,
Here is a new kid on the Epson block! An A3 Inkjet priced at sub £200 it may take manufacturers a little while to develop a C.I.S.S for it but I guess it won't take long http://illiweb.com/fa/i/smiles/icon_bounce.gif Interesting cartridge set-up too C,M,Y and two blacks!
Anyway it's called the Epson Office B1100 and here is a review:http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3206654

Worth considering in the future maybe?

Phil

JSR
03-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Hmm, good price.

It seems to be a five-cartridge 4-ink system (a bit like the D120) and, given it's Epson's foray into the Office arena, I'd question the print quality - but it's certainly worth investigating.

Flash
03-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Hmm, good price.

It seems to be a five-cartridge 4-ink system (a bit like the D120) and, given it's Epson's foray into the Office arena, I'd question the print quality - but it's certainly worth investigating.

You're right JSR the two blacks would lead you to think the printer was more geared to printing text rather than images or photo's.

Phil

bms
04-12-2009, 08:52 AM
The 4 colour system wouldn't be a problem for an A3 printer for sublimation as the A4 printer is 4 colour and when you work with graphics in, say, Photoshop you work in CMYK (the 4 colours used in the printer). It all comes down to whether Sawgrass test and approve the printer. Some of the cheaper A4 printers aren't supported because they aren't very good. If this A3 printer is made okay then Sawgrass will develop the ICC profile for it. I think this is more likely if the Photo 1400 or R1900 is going to be discontinued by Epson as Sawgrass seem to prefer to support a couple of printers in each of the size category (2 in A4, 2 in A3) with Epson printers.

JSR
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I seem to recall Epson had a 4-ink business inkjet way back in the dawn of time. I'd expect the B1100 to be another attempt at that.

Although the B1100 is cheap, I can't say it'd be a preferable dye-sub printer over the 1400. Black is one of the least-used colours in my Epson 1400 - and the idea of having two blacks (so you'll be buying about £100 worth of black ink in the CISS) that then will barely get used just makes me think of the ill-considered R1800/1900.

The most-used colours in my Epson 1400 are the light colours (light cyan, light magenta). If it uses those colours the most, it must need them.

Still, if the ink manufacturer supplied their own printer instead of using someone else's then we (the end user) wouldn't have to support this revolving door policy of printers being discontinued & replaced every two minutes.