PDA

View Full Version : Magic water decal paper - has anyone used these?

barryslip
05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Hi all

Not sure if I have started this in the right forum - I'm sure Paul will move it if not LOL!

I've been reading about these "magic water decal papers" online at www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk today.

Basically, print using a colour laser printer, soak, place onto blank ceramic and bake to make it dishwasher proof. Sounds very simple and, as far as I can tell, has a load of uses (logo on the bottom of a mug, decorating large items - biscuit barrels, coffee jars etc).

So, not having used any type of water decal before, I was wondering if anyone has used this particular type?

There are some cheap laser printers around the £130 mark, so was contemplating giving it a go.

Cheers
Barry

bms
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Everything you sayid correct, but where is the dishwasher guarantee of this once it has been stuck to the ceramic? In principle this is a glue activated clear material that slides and dries onto the ceramic, candle, tin etc but as the glue is water activated then the dishwasher may 'deactivate' it. We've been selling this for years but have never claimed the permanency of dishwasher proof. Interested to hear if such tests have been done.

barryslip
05-03-2011, 04:03 PM
There is a video on here http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/products-Magic-decal-paper_256.htm - within 30seconds the phrase "...to make them dishwasher proof..." is mentioned. I'll contact them to ask the question, and post back.

barryslip
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Martin - correct me if I'm wrong, but your site also states "The transfers when cured at 180 degrees C become very durable and dishwasher safe at low temperature settings."

I'm confused!!!!!

mrs maggot
05-03-2011, 04:53 PM
is it worth checking out this thread ? http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?1973-stamp-the-bottom-of-mugs-etc/page3

bms
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
dishwasher safe at low temperature settings

At low temperature settings - so you would be washing at cool temperatures, not what I would want to wash my normal dishes at. Given the amount of steam and the temperature of the dishes when they have been washed in automatic mode then I can't imagine the decal material withstanding that degree of heat and steam (if there are repeated tests conducted to say otherwise then I stand corrected). Cool/ rinse settings would be okay, but this is like washing/ spraying with luke warm/ cold water.

Paul
05-03-2011, 08:31 PM
i am even more confused now :) i always thought "diswasher safe" is all about chemicals used in dishwasher not temperature :) people learn every day...

bms
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
i am even more confused now :) i always thought "diswasher safe" is all about chemicals used in dishwasher not temperature :) people learn every day...

Certainly is for things like RN coated mugs or other sublimation coatings, but when you just stick something on the outside of the mug like a decal then hot and steam will have quite an impact.

barryslip
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks Martin. I guess I'd need to advise customers to "hand wash only". Then there should be no issues with steam/hot temps etc?

bms
05-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Martin. I guess I'd need to advise customers to "hand wash only". Then there should be no issues with steam/hot temps etc?

I would unless there are tests done to confirm otherwise - you could always do one and put it in your dishwasher. Let us know how you get on in say 3 to 6 months!

barryslip
05-03-2011, 10:20 PM
Ha ha! Good thinking! I'll keep pondering....

barryslip
06-03-2011, 12:57 AM
Am I right in saying that any laser printer will be fine for water decals? There's some Samsung clp-320 on eBay for £69.99 brand new with toner. Any thoughts?

Paul
06-03-2011, 01:11 AM
only one :) i found out one thinkg about printers :)

cheaper printer mean more dear toner. so would be good to check price of the toner before you buy it.

barryslip
07-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Here is the reply from www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk....

The product is tried and tested, many times in fact.

Being completely honest with you, there have been occasions where it hasn't worked, this can be down to individuals and the variables involved but also sometimes the quality has been poor.

That said the current batch we have, which we test each time is showing very good results so yes it does work well and is dishwasher safe.

As with all things like this, especially when they are a cheaper option won't last forever but they do last a good time.