PDA

View Full Version : Jammed Heat Press

smartarts
11-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi,
While pre-pressing a T shirt the press has locked shut and will not open, any thought would be greatfully received, it is a Atkin swing-away

Justin
11-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Is the spring on the back intact? Does the release knob move at all?

smartarts
11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Justin,
Thanks for your reply, the release knob feels like it moves as normal, as for the spring on the back I will have to look in the morning.

smitch6
11-03-2011, 09:52 PM
there isn't much to the arms on most presses is there?

mine is really basic
i'd of thought it was just a rod or spring come out

what press is it?
maybe someone has one to show you a pic of how it should be then you can see whats moved

smartarts
11-03-2011, 10:17 PM
We got our press from the magic touch a few years ago, they told us it was an adkins swing way and their website shows our model in the manual press section. It didn't come with a manual and the only name it has on it is "The Magic Touch". The unfortunate thing is it has happened on a weekend when nobody is available at the firm and as always it has happened when we have a rush job in.

John G
11-03-2011, 10:47 PM
can you not just release the pressure by turning a knob?

Justin
11-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Check the allen key screw next to the release knob....it'll either be that or the spring I reckon.

smartarts
12-03-2011, 07:37 AM
The pressure release knob will not turn at all either, I will check the spring and the allen key screw when I get in to work. Oh! the joys of being self employed....

smartarts
12-03-2011, 11:29 AM
The spring looks perfect, as for the allen key what happens if I losen the small one at the back, or indeed the larger one at the side. I have managed to download a technical pdf sheet for this model but it is not a manual and just gives data, it mentions a fuse 12.5amp but nothing else.

John G
12-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't know anything about this press - but, if its jammed due to over pressure, the pressure needs to be released. If this is the case, you'll need to compress the spring in order to be able to turn the pressure knob. I could be way off with this suggestion though and i'd be very careful when compressing the spring!

Hope you get sorted
John

Andrew
12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
We need to know exactly what happened when it ceased or some further info really as it is pure guess work either. Has it been used regularly up until ceasing? Does it move at all or does the arm move? Is the large metal pin at the base at the arm still fully in?

smartarts
12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks everbody,
The press is now released thanks to my son, 6ft 4in man mountain managed to free it by turning the unturnable handle, mind you he did grunt a lot while doing it. Still don't know why, as it is always used regularly, but come monday I will ring Adkins and see if they have any idea.