PDA

View Full Version : Just took the plunge......!

Lee
16-03-2011, 10:08 PM
After having an interest in sub-printing for a while now, I've finally took the plunge and ordered the mug printing start-up package from Martin @ BMS - as the feedback as always been great, and I know he's only too happy to give advice on the forum! :wink:

Soooo.....in preperation for it's arrival, I have a few questions, if anyone out there wouldn't mind sharing some of your hard-earned knowledge....:rolleyes:

1. I'm using photoshop PS2 at the moment, would the image size need to be 230x95mm?

2. Whilst I know the photoshop basics, I've never printed from it before (!) therefore, what's the best way to print my designs, I presume i would be to lay a couple out on a bigger canvas, reverse them, and hit the print key?

3. I need to invest in a guillotine to cut straight edges - but is there an easy way to ensure the image is straight when I transfer it to the mug?

4. The printer Ive order is the Ricoh 3300 - if I make my designs shorter in length, or am just printing logos, I should be able to get 3 per page - but what is the print width of the Ricoh - I assume its not edge to edge?

5. Price! If I'm lucky enough to print something that looks good enough to sell - does anyone know approximate production costs per mug - for say, a logo, 2 sides or full wrap? I know this is something that I should hopefully be able to work out as time goes by, but it would give me a really helpful start!

6. If anyone has a photoshop PS2 mug design they can send me to look at in photoshop... I would very much appreciate it.... promise I won't do anything with it, but it would give me a great insight.....!

Apologies for asking some prob basic and cheeky questions, but you don't get unless you ask.....

:redface:

Many thanks!!!!!!

(mod edit: this thread has been copied into General Dye Sub Chit Chat, please keep this thread for welcome messages)

Kaz
16-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Hiya and welcome on board :)

I don't use PS2, or any other version for that matter, lol, Paul should be able to answer your queries on that one.

A4 paper is only 210mm wide, so 230 mm won't fit on portrait, only on landscape, and you can get away with 210mm therefore 3 full mug wraps per A4 page, if logos,you might get 6 or more to a page

Lee
16-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks Kaz!

I didn't think to put more to a page as I was thinking of always using the same template size - what a waste that would have been!!!! If I design 210 wide - to get 3 to a page, the printer would have to print full width - is that possible?

Cheers

Lee

John G
16-03-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't think the Ricoh's would print full width, even if they did would you not get ink all over the place inside the printer. I've never tried 3 to a page, always used 2 up - will it not be miles away from the handle ? - i'll have to try it tomorrow when I get back to work.

Cheers John

Lee
16-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks John - I thought 2 full wraps to a page, landscape, but still not sure how to print them....if anyone has any advice..and also how do you ensure they are straight on the mug, is there a secret perhaps!?
Cheers
Lee

Kaz
16-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I get mine straight by line of sight, and as long as the image is straight on the paper, and you cut it straight, it shouldn't really be a problem.

I get 3 to an A4 page all the time, but, I don't always have full colour right to the edges, I tend to do image montages on mugs.

If I could figure out how to post an image on here I'd show you what I mean, lol

Kaz
16-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Here you go

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q90/kazs_2006/chaldonmug.jpg

John G
16-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Hi Lee,
I use the Ricoh 5050n, great printers and you won't regret buying it. I design in Coreldraw so cannot help you with photoshop - Pauls your man for that who should be along sooner or later. In Coreldraw I put reg marks on and use these as cut lines - cut to the reg marks and you'll guarantee the prints straight on the paper and mug.

Cheers John

Kaz
16-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh, and that mug was the first one I ever done, have now got the image more centred on the mug, lol

smitch6
16-03-2011, 10:51 PM
i use a guilotine and scissors depending on how i feel lol

and i also do full wraps with 210mm and my printer will print about 5mm in from the paper (if that makes sense)
i've tried all the way to the edge and for the life of me can't get it to do it
and no they aren't that far from the handle

and welcome btw

Justin
16-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi and welcome to the DSF!

Justin
DSF Admin

Lee
16-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Thank you all very much! I can't wait to get started! You'll know when my equipment arrives cos I'll be on here all the time!!!!

John - when you say reg marks...? How does this help you line up on the mug? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick..!

Thanks for sharing your images Kaz - I can only hope my first attemps are anywhere near as good as yours!!!!

Where's that delivery van got to????

John G
16-03-2011, 11:39 PM
cut to the reg marks - this ensures the print is straight on paper - when placing on the mug you'll be able to judge if is running straight against either top or bottom of the mug. simples!!!!!

mrs maggot
17-03-2011, 10:17 AM
welcome, to the forum.

we are risking a lot of useful information for everyone being lost in an introduction post, so hopefully justin or paul will copy some of your questions and answer them in a better part of the forum - where the questions and answers will be easy to find for other new members (not having a go - but intro section is for just that)

Justin
17-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Good point and there is indeed valuable info. in here. I believe Paul has now copied the thread into General Dye Sub but we'll leave this thread in place for further welcome messages :-)