PDA

View Full Version : newbee, wonder if ive made a starting out error!!

ady347
17-03-2011, 10:01 PM
hi, im Ade from Shrewsbury (Shropshire), i work nights but looking at doing a part time job for extra pennies.
I decided to start doing shirts for hens, stag do's etc.... as a little extra earner as i have a free room available in the town centre (mother in laws shop lol), and also thought it would be a interesting venture.
I spent weeks researching how its done, i want to print using transfer paper to start with but i think i made a mistake with a purchase.

basically was looking at buying a new press for some time and by chance the other day found a good condition used item on ebay and it was only 20 miles away. I paid £100 for it, it came from a guy who purchased it as a job lot of items from a recent company closure and he had no knowledge about it.
tbh i thought a heat press was just a heat press? how wrong was I! as this one was digital with a timer i presumed it would be a good purchase.
it works fine but i couldnt work out how to use the digital settings so traced it to a company called Ace or Jsm.

i phoned them today too see about purchasing a owners manual who quoted £18!! and it would be sent by email.

alarm bells started to ring and after researching the company/products on the internet i have read alot of bad views.

this press is like new, i wanted my original outlays to be small , should it not work out, so took a chance. I am looking to do this business as a little extra earner, if it picked up enough i would invest in better quality equipment but just wanted equipment to start out with that would produce satisfactory results. but im wondering what peoples thoughts are on my purchase. it came with cap, plate and mug adapters which i wont be using. its a 38x38 and its currently available on their website.

many thanks in advance for any advice.

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr1/ady347/press1.jpg

bms
17-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi and welcome. If the press works then it's a bargain!
Have a look at the link below and click on the DF18 Manual at the bottom of the page. This may help with some of the basic settings (or at least give you some guidance):
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/513/8-in-1-combination-heat-press.htm

ady347
17-03-2011, 10:10 PM
it seems to work fine but i cant get my head around the settings lol, i had a look at that guide thanks but it seems a bit different to mine, i have worked out how to set temp and time, but dont know how you know its at temp lol.
im not normally the type of person to rush out and make quick purchases, i have spent ages researching as i want to do this properly and take it seriously. (but only found this site today lol)

Justin
17-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Hi Ade and welcome to the DSF! Please ensure that any further questions you have are directed to the correct section within the forum as this area is for simple introductions.

Cheers for now,
Justin
DSF Admin :-)

Ian M
17-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Hi Ady & welcome to the forum.

Your thread should be in the heat presses section though.

Your heat press is a lot like mine & the digital controller is very easy to use.

First swith the power on at the back of the control panel & this will light up the read out on the front. Then set the temp using the up arrow until you get the temp you need then press ok. Then press the up arrow again to set your time & then press ok again. You now have to wait till the temp is reached that you set & an alarm should go off once the temp is reached. When you have put what your pressing into the press & pulled the platten down just press ok & the timer will begin.

Hope this helps & I only charge £17 for this..........lol....just kidding. The manual for this machine is usually only 2 pages so £18 is a bit of a rip off I think.

Ian :biggrin:

ady347
17-03-2011, 10:33 PM
ok learned something, will redirect it their from now on, thanks ian will give that a go. many thanks.

continued on http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?2077-newbee-wonder-if-i-made-a-starting-out-error!!-continued......