PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

justme
19-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Received my brand new Epson 1400 from Xpres today, as well as the CIS system.

Read instructions, watch videos and finally got brave enough to install the inks.

Was dead chuffed as it appeared that I'd done it perfectly first time.

Then I slid the CIS across the table (on same level as printer) and - to my horror - there was a puddle of inks underneath it.

I mopped it up and have put the inks on a bit on a bit tissue paper...all seems ok now.

Is that normal though...do I just carry on?

Thanks

Sadie

justme
19-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh and, if doing a test print, can I do it on normal paper or do I need to do it on the special paper?

Mugsman
19-03-2011, 06:38 PM
i use nornal paper to do nozel check on my r1900

Kaz
19-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't have thought it was right to have puddles of ink on the table, have you ensured they are secured/tightened properly. I don' thave your set up, so just guessing here, until someone else comes along

bms
19-03-2011, 07:40 PM
You shouldn't have any ink anywhere except on the paper. Are you still getting ink on the tissue paper?
You can use normal paper for the nozzle check no problem.

justme
19-03-2011, 07:52 PM
No, no more ink on the tissue paper. Now I'm just trying to get it so that all 6 colours are working on nozzel check. First one, yellow didn't come out...second one cyan didn't come out (but yellow did!). All tubes look full - no bubbles.

Is it bad to do too many head cleans?

bms
19-03-2011, 07:55 PM
You can do up to 4, but then leave it for a while (around an hour) as you don't want to flood the printer.

justme
19-03-2011, 08:12 PM
OK, so...as suggested here, after 3 nozzle check/head cleans my nozzle patterns have got worse. I really am just looking at them for reassurance that I've installed the ink correctly.

I think I have...at different points throughout the checking each of the colours has been pretty perfect...just not all 6 at the same time.

Having only just installed it, do you think leaving it is the best option?

Just pleased there's no more leaking out of the bottom (so to speak!)...

Gosh, it's stressful - banging headache... and this is before I've attempted any actual mug printing!!!

Hope it gets easier!

Thanks for your help -

Sadie

bms
19-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Having only just installed it, do you think leaving it is the best option?

Sometimes leaving it allows the ink to soak into the printhead and then it works better. You need to get a good nozzle check pattern before you go to print anything though.

Paul
19-03-2011, 08:24 PM
I had it once. and i was so desperate I decided to do a 1 trick somone recomend on here. I sprayed littlebit of window cleaner on photo paper and printed some image on it. worked 100%.
but i would do what Martin says first. wait and let the head soak with some inks first.

smitch6
20-03-2011, 12:05 AM
did you prime the cartridges 1st?
usually you have to do this by sticking a needle in and drawing the air out of the cart
and yes always a good idea to let it settle overnight

good luck

bms
20-03-2011, 09:10 AM
did you prime the cartridges 1st?
usually you have to do this by sticking a needle in and drawing the air out of the cart
and yes always a good idea to let it settle overnight

good luck
The Easyflow systems are already primed so this isn't normally necessary.

justme
20-03-2011, 10:28 AM
I didn't prime it...I watched the video on the xpres website which included priming them...but the system looked different to the easyflow one I'd ordered (and been sent!).

Instead I followed their downloadable instructions where the system looked identical to the one I'd been sent...and didn't include priming.

I printed a nozzle check last night...everything perfect, except totally nothing for black.

I printed one this morning, the same. Then I did 2 head cleans this morning and have just printed a perfect nozzle pattern for all 6 colours. Hoorah!!!

I hope now it's done it once...it'll continue to behave. No leaking either...although I now have my suspicions that a curious child might have been involved there. Needless to say, he will now not be touching!!!

Next thing...to get the colours looking right...I am using photoshop...all of xpres instructions are coral draw.

I have downloaded the profile (emailed by them). The only thing I'm confused about is that when I go to the 'colour settings' bit in photoshop...in the first drop down menu, there is still no reference to a sublimation profile...as per the instrutions on sawgrass.

Any guidance appreciated...I promise I'll stop being so 'needy' soon!!

Sadie

justme
20-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Colours look very dull when printing an image...I am still testing using normal paper - being a cheap skate and not wanting to waste the other paper. Are the colours likely to be duller on normal paper?

I'll get xpres to remotely check my settings tomorrow....just feel impatient to move onto my first mug!!

Thanks - Sadie

John G
20-03-2011, 10:50 AM
The colours will look dull on paper until they are pressed - thats when they come to life! but you do need to get your profile installed properly

smitch6
20-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Paul is the best person to speak to about profiles
although it sounds like you already have the correct one so maybe if someone already uses this set-up they can walk you through how to install it

and as John said the colour do look really dull until pressed
i rem my 1st one ringing the supplier of the ink up saying you sold me dud ink mate and he laughed and said trust me just press it

justme
20-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh OK - thanks John and Smitch6 - maybe I just need to take the plunge and attempt my mug then!!! Might just get xpres to cast an eye over my settings tomorrow first.

Not sure if I've now screwed up my settings for normal printing with my other printer!!!

Thanks SO much - you're all so super helpful!

Sadie

Justin
20-03-2011, 12:52 PM
http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/artainium/support-documents/windows/graphics-software/1400

Have you followed setup for Photoshop software?

justme
20-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Yep I have - I have just saved the color settings as dye_sublimation and so it appears in the first drop down box of the colour settings options as in the sawgrass instructions.

I have also now saved my settings for normal printing...so i can chop and change between them which is what I need to do.

I hope I've done it right.

Thanks.

AdamB
20-03-2011, 01:42 PM
The best way to do things is to give it a try Sadie.

If you've followed all instructions and installed profiles then you just need to 'have a go'.

If you get it spot on first time, fantastic, but the likelyhood is that it'll need tweaking to individual settings (i.e press temp, pressure can all be slightly different for everyone). Write everything down so you can go back to your notes and then try again if you are having no luck.

I remember getting the set up a few years ago and 'nothing went right' ............... after many months I decided to 'sack it' and left it until last year. I bought the propper equipment (bit more expensive but support is 100% worth every penny) and the first mug I did was spot on. I have had a few mishaps along the way (as we all do) but it's good to look back over your notes at time and temp settings to see what 'could' have gone wrong.

The best advice I can give you is to plan on wasting a few mugs and sheets of paper getting things right. It'll be worth it in the long run and can mea that you are 100% confident about printing that image and pressing it onto a mug because of the homework you did before hand.

Also, if you are testing the press 'ALWAYS' use the same image for testing so you can compare results in the colours and saturation when finished. Do one, if it looks right then try adjusting the time and temp a little to see if it looks too saturated - if it looks better then go again. You'll then find your 'goal-posts' that you'll be familiar with and can then hopefully look at an image and know what setting to put it on.

Personally, (touch wood) I have my press on a setting now and it turns out mugs 100% everytime it's played with. The only exception is when I change the actual mug as this throughs in different variations (i.e colour change mugs, for me, don't need as long).

Hope this helps

Adam

justme
20-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Adam - thanks for that, great advice - can't wait to get to the stage you're at :))

Just trying to find a photoshop template for the xpres 10z mugs now - annoyingly all their templates are coral draw - which I don't have.

Am v excited about giving it a whirl!

Thanks again, Sadie

Ian M
20-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Sadie,

When I first started I thought the colours on the paper were wrong but was told always trust what you see on the screen. One of the first things I printed was a bright green & on paper it just looked like olive green & when I pressed it it came out perfect. Trust me when you do your first good one you'll be jumping up & down all excited & happy. Can't wait to hear when you've done your first one now.

Ian :biggrin:

Paul
20-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Just trying to find a photoshop template for the xpres 10z mugs now - annoyingly all their templates are coral draw - which I don't have.

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?167-templates-for-blanks.-all-in-psd-for-photoshop.

justme
20-03-2011, 03:52 PM
DONE MY FIRST ONE AND IT'S 95% PERFECT!!!

Oh my goodness, a moment I don't think I'll ever forget, peeling that first bit of transfer paper off and there it was - bright blue (as it should have been!)

One little patch on it is a bit blurred...but, other than that, perfect :)

So pleased!!

Ian M
20-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Great stuff Sadie :biggrin:

What time & temp did you use & did you have the transfer held tight to the mug?

justme
20-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I was worried about going into detail - as thought I might be told off for going in wrong thread...

but...I did 180 degrees for 180 sec.

Ian M
20-03-2011, 04:13 PM
No worries sadie as your in the correct thread.

That is the settings most of us tend to use. When I press mugs I use quite firm pressure & when done I take the paper off straight away & then I dunk them into warm water to cool them & it also stops the sublimation process too. Some others put the mug in from of a fan blowing cold air instead of dunking them.

smitch6
20-03-2011, 04:16 PM
where as some of us remove the paper then leave the mug to cool naturally :)

you say you got a smudge Sadie did you use tape to secure the image to the mug?
always got to do that so it doesn't move and firm pressure as well on the wrap

well done for breaking your mug pressing virginity it's a great feeling isn't :D

Ian M
20-03-2011, 04:21 PM
where as some of us remove the paper then leave the mug to cool naturally :)

you say you got a smudge Sadie did you use tape to secure the image to the mug?
always got to do that so it doesn't move and firm pressure as well on the wrap

well done for breaking your mug pressing virginity it's a great feeling isn't :D

I'll have to become an expert at some point

Justin
20-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Let's try not to ruin another good thread folks. Some leave mugs to cool, others like to dunk/fan cool....enough said really.

John G
20-03-2011, 04:25 PM
If you leave to go cold naturally, without cool air or luke warm water, you might be risking a blurry end product - the cooling process should be done as Ian said "to end the sublimation process".

Use sub heat tape and attach the paper to the mug as tight as possible - this stops any blurring too! also when taking the paper off make sure you take it off fast without it touching the mug again - I've done this and you do get a double image

Well done on your first mug.

AdamB
20-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I also found that I had blurred mugs depending on the type of mug used ............... the 'problem' ones turned out to be 'non' dishwasher proof which was resolved by getting in some mugs that were.

Well done on your first mug :-)

John G
20-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Good point AdamB, same goes with ink, paper etc.

Justin
20-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I can honestly say I've always dunked but I've changed mug suppliers a couple of times over the years so maybe now is a good time to run a few tests and see what happens....It would certainly speed things up to not have to dunk & dry!

John G
20-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I used to dunk but didn't like the pinging sound - cannot be good for the mug. I did a few tests when I had first started sublimation printing and the earlier dunked mugs, after a few washes, the glaze went like crazy paving. Of course they look fine when 1st done but after you've sent them to the customer how do we know the glaze is going to stand up to the tests of time.

Everyone's got their own way of doing things - don't think there is a correct way as its not just black and white, its full colour sublimation. :smile:

phoenixalpha
20-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I always dunk and leave to dry. Admittedly its never freezing cold water but warm water which helps cool down quickly but not *too* quickly. Anyway the water heats up after half a dozen mugs so its usually always warm

Justin
20-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I used to find the Listawood mugs always pinged, it's a horrible noise! lol. The BMS ones seem fine but I also use room temp. water.

justme
20-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Just done a perfect one...had the pressure up a bit more...really, really pleased!

Bit confused about the xpres instructions with putting a cold mug in and letting it regain temperature and then starting the process with the printable mug...may give thema buzz tomorrow.

But anyway...happy girl :)

Thanks for support thus far :)

John G
20-03-2011, 06:02 PM
This could be to protect the mug blanket - I leave a sacrificial (old) mug in the press at all times, even when switched off. When you come to use the press switch on and when up to temp take the sacrificial mug out and put the mug in to be printed. I think it helps to keep the blanket in shape!

AdamB
20-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Use a mug (the same one) to keep in the press to get it to the temp that's required. Once it's there and peeps stick your mug into cook. Whilst it's cooking prepare any other mugs (or better still have them ready before hand), so once the first mug is finished you can replace with another and click the start button again.

It'll get to the required temp a little quicker as it is already hot but it won't start to count down until it reaches that temp again.

Repeat with the mugs you need to do.

:-)

AdamB
20-03-2011, 06:08 PM
This could be to protect the mug blanket - I leave a sacrificial (old) mug in the press at all times, even when switched off. When you come to use the press switch on and when up to temp take the sacrificial mug out and put the mug in to be printed. I think it helps to keep the blanket in shape!

beat me to it John - but I used more words :-)

Justin
20-03-2011, 06:09 PM

Is this your press? If so, it's same as mine. As John mentions above, I leave a plain mug in when warming up/cooling down.

justme
20-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Yup, that's my press...so you switch it on with an old mug clamped in place...let it reach 180, take that mug out...stick the prepared mug in...as soon as you close the handle, it starts the count down...when you've finished all your pressing, you put an old mug back in and leave it to cool down with old mug in place?

Is that the process? Whoops - I let mine heat up and cool down in an unclamped position without a mug in today...

Gosh you're all so brilliant - who needs xpres support when you have you lot?!

Thanks so much - if I've got this process wrong, please tell me!!

Just thrilled to have reached where I've reached already today!!

Sadie

Justin
20-03-2011, 06:54 PM
That's exactly it ;-) Don't panic about not having a mug in...just don't keep doing it! lol. You'll find it a great press, I was going to say cracking but that would be a poor choice of words!

....and Xpres don't work on Sundays! Be sure to tell them how good we are next time you call.

justme
20-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Bit a non essential question...but the sacrificial mug...can it be my first one - that was a bit splodgy...or does it need to be a plain one?

Wasn't sure if putting a previsouly printed mug in a warming up/cooling down press would cause anything to come off on the press??

Thanks...hoping to win an xpress flat press on ebay tonight...got right into this ;-)

Justin
20-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Use a new plain mug. The image off the printed one may ghost if it gets above a certain temperature...basically the sublimation process will start again.

I did see an Xpres press on eBay...do you know how old this one is you're after? My reason for asking is that the build quality changed a while back. I'm not 100% sure but I believe manufacture was moved to the far east. The newer ones are still very good but I prefer the older presses personally (having had both) as the build quality just appears to be a little better. You may or may not know, Adkins are a Leicestershire based company, I'm not sure if the older presses were made there.

These presses are a good investment as they seem to be holding there price very well at the moment ;-)

justme
20-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Sent you a PM Justin, thanks.