PDA

View Full Version : Epson D22 printer

ady347
20-03-2011, 02:05 PM
hi, starting to get my bits together now, got a heat press, picked up a printer today for £40. I have read on here about profiles D88? can anyone tell me what this means.
I dont know if the inks that came with the printer are duralite ultra or not? i know the inks supplied only have very little ink in them

i am a complete newbee :tongue:

bms
20-03-2011, 02:21 PM
What are you expecting to do with this printer? You mention a heat press but what are you trying to achieve?

Justin
20-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Not heard of the D22....are you sure it's not an S22?

It sounds like you are setting up in sublimation as you mention the heat press. if this is the case then you'll need sublimation inks. The 'S22' isn't a supported printer for sublimation and at this time refillable cartridges aren't available.

Paul
20-03-2011, 03:28 PM
you can get ciss but is more expensive then printer.

Justin
20-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Personally I don't see this route being a good option for a newcomer to sublimation, better to start off with tried and tested kit.

Ian M
20-03-2011, 03:49 PM
I have to agree with Justin even though I have had some success using a S21 using the D88 profile. Trying to use a D22 may seem like a cheap option to start with but, once you have paid for a custom profile & inks etc it will become quite expensive compared to buying a supported printer from the outset.

Might be worth having a read of this thread that Jonathan wrote & having a chat with him as it could be a route to go down.
http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?1525-Brother-printers-for-sublimation-use.

ady347
20-03-2011, 08:02 PM
whoops wrong button! sorry it is epson S 22, i am doing heat transfers... i was just reading old threads and saw profile mentioned just wondered wot it meant?

im not doing sublimation? i was going to buy a S21 but was told it is replaced by a S22.
I presumed im buying the correct things for the type of work im doing?

I thought i needed duralite ultra inks? im a complete novice who has been doing lots of reading, have i got something wrong.

bms
20-03-2011, 08:58 PM
You can use an S22 with genuine durabrite inks if you want to print onto printable flex (with the use of a small cutter you can cut around the shape). What other 'heat transfers' do you want to use? What material are you thinking of printing onto and then pressing onto the t-shirt?

ady347
20-03-2011, 09:07 PM
i thought i buy heat transfer paper and print on it with this printer and then heat press it on a shirt?

bms
20-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Okay, just depends on what this 'heat transfer paper' is. There are various approaches to this with the cheap end of the market giving a very harsh cardboard like feel to the t-shirt which will crack when washed and it only really suitable for promotional one offs. Depends on what this material is you're going to use really as to how good it's going to be.

ady347
20-03-2011, 09:28 PM
i have seen this transfer paper on ebay i was going to try?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-x-T-Shirt-Transfer-Paper-Iron-On-Light-Fabric-/380259617606?pt=UK_Computing_Printer_Paper_Accesso ries_ET&hash=item58893d4b46

and fruit of the loom t shirts. i was looking at doing them for stag do's, hen parties, team shirts (robot wars competitions i compete in)

i am looking to produce an ok finish but starting on a budget, i dont want to spend £££ and it doesnt work for me.

could you give us more info on a cutter. for cutting out image, what i should be buying etc...

please treat me as a complete novice lol, i want to get into this as a hobby/little earner, if it seems to go well i will invest into better equipment from their. i work nights so have alot of spare time in the day when the wife is at work, its something for me to do.

thanks for your advice so far.

bms
20-03-2011, 10:02 PM
If you are happy with straight edges then a standard guillotine will be sufficient but if you want curved cut lines then you can either use a pair of scissors which will keep the costs low or use a smaller cutter such as a Craft ROBO, but this will be a reasonable investment of £200+.

I don't know too much about that paper on Ebay - perhpas others can comment...

mrs maggot
20-03-2011, 10:25 PM
ady, have a read though the sections on here, you really will learn a lot from 20 mins reading through the forum, on the robocutter and others, and the quality from different papers - most of the info is here, you just need to have a read though the different sections you will be moving in to. £3 for 5 sheets, if your doing it as a hobby fine, you might want to look at buying a pack of paper from a supplier, rather than 5 sheets from ebay.

but this is moving away from this post which is about the printer

ady347
21-03-2011, 02:40 AM
hi, i have been trying to read through different threads before i post, i try and do this before i post. im finding on here that people talk about stuff but in a way they know about, and as a novice i find it hard to follow or understand it lol, im doing my best! think this forum needs a complete novice section or describing the basics lol, i am researching alot on google and learning slowly. i still cant find out whats the difference between transfer paper and flex? is it the same thing?

it was a old thread i found with a link to ebay on that paper and that person said they found it fine to use, so thought i would give it a try.

mrs maggot
21-03-2011, 08:57 AM
transfer paper - you print, using special inks, to press onto the t shirt

flex/vinyl - one colour you cut using a special cutter(as per your new post) then you press onto garments. can be layered using different colours, 1 colour per press