PDA

View Full Version : whisky glass issues

phoenixalpha
20-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Just bout half a dozen of these from BMS : http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/514/frosted-whisky-glass.htm

sub Frosted whisky glasses

So I've been preheating to 60 in the mug press then putting paper on and then to 160 degrees. So 60 degrees is fine - as soon as its in for around 20-30 seconds at 160 the whole glass just cracks and is useless. I'm using no more pressure than I would a mug, in fact a lot less - but still the whole thing just shatters. Anyone got any advice on these?

Mattie
20-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Hi
I had the same problem, i used to pour in some warm water and leave for about 5 mins then do the pre-heat etc this used to do the trick.

phoenixalpha
20-03-2011, 08:29 PM
empty the water out before pre-heat??

Mattie
20-03-2011, 08:34 PM
empty the water out before pre-heat??

yeah empty and dry with paper towel

John G
20-03-2011, 08:39 PM
What do these look like when done properly - do they look good?

Also - just thinking aloud, would it not be better if there was an insert or something to put inside while pressing to ease the pressure.

phoenixalpha
20-03-2011, 08:52 PM
the ones I've made so far look smashing :)

bms
20-03-2011, 09:02 PM
What do these look like when done properly - do they look good?

Also - just thinking aloud, would it not be better if there was an insert or something to put inside while pressing to ease the pressure.

It's not pressure that causes the problem. The base of the glass is thick and the glass itself is thin, so they need preheating to get heat into the base of the glass. As glass is a very poor conductor of heat then you need to give the base a while to get up to temp to avoid too much of a shock to the glass and therefore causing a crack.

bms
20-03-2011, 09:03 PM
the ones I've made so far look smashing :)
No pun intended eh?:smile:

John G
20-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks Martin for the explanation, thought it was uneven pressure. They sound like a nice promo item, have you got any pictures of the finished article phoenixalpha

Cheers John

mrs maggot
20-03-2011, 10:12 PM
try popping them on the radiator before pressing, thats what i do with my mugs - warms their bottoms up a treat - oooh errrrr mrs

phoenixalpha
20-03-2011, 10:31 PM
have given up, six trials come and gone and every one busted. tried preheating, filling with water, preheating, filling with water, preheating and gradually increasing the temperature slowly in 20 degree incriments and none survived past 110 :o(

the premium mousemats on the other hand more than surpassed my expectations!

JSR
21-03-2011, 12:26 AM
Very surprised to hear that they're breaking.

I did some glasses awhile back - both whisky glasses and tall 0.4L ones (as sold by Subli-Nation back in the day). The base of those glasses was huge! I would say they looked almost twice as thick as the one on the BMS picture.

Okay, I didn't do too many of them because the "stained glass" effect isn't something that appealed to anyone I talked to - trying to explain that printing a white wedding dress won't actually print anything, and that the picture will disappear entirely if you put cola in the glass, just puts people off.

Anyway, of all the ones I did I never had one break on me. I didn't pre-heat, I didn't do anything special with them whatsoever. I did, however, do them in ovens - not a press - mainly because I couldn't get the print in the middle of the tall glass in my mug press.

Perhaps you should try a mug oven, rather than a press, as this ensures that the entire glass will heat up at the same temperature. If you start off by heating them upside down in one of the halogen ovens, then you'll be sure that the thick base heats up quickly enough to keep up with the sides of the glass.

gstk
28-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I got six to try and all six broke no matter what I did. Chalked it up to experience. In my book if something doesnt work quickly with the least hassle possible then its just not worth it. Any fool can be busy

Paul
28-03-2011, 07:35 PM
In my book if something doesnt work quickly with the least hassle possible then its just not worth it. Any fool can be busy

i got to agree with that one. same here. if it does not work quickly then leave it...

Kaz
28-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Yup, I agree, and that's exactly what I've done with the slates :(

Paul
28-03-2011, 08:07 PM
shame. they great item. have you got any left Kaz?

Kaz
28-03-2011, 08:08 PM
Think I've got 3-4 left Paul, not tried again since my initial downfall with them, and forgot to get OH to try them for me, doh!

pisquee
22-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Anyone still having success with these in a press, or is oven the way to go. We have a box full left from earlier this year, that I gave up on due to them taking so much time, and so many of them breaking.
If anyone thinks they could successfully print them for us, could you PM me with a price for a box of 36 pressed with transfers supplied.

purpledragon
22-11-2012, 04:32 PM
I got six to try and all six broke no matter what I did. Chalked it up to experience. In my book if something doesnt work quickly with the least hassle possible then its just not worth it. Any fool can be busy
Ditto tried all ways all six broke gave up then the problem is what if you need to preheat base then heat the glass how do you do this ? put them on a rad for a while ? dont have any radiators in my shop so put it in the press from cold and start the press/ ok might work (didnt for me ) but assuming you want these to be a good seller and sell loads do you reqally have the time to heat a press let it cool then heat a press then let it cool and so on i agree its getting into busy fool area or you need to charge £20 a glass to make it worth the bother . Odd think is i have some glass tankards with a tick bottom yet the press fantasiclly never had one break yet weird huh

pisquee
22-11-2012, 05:19 PM
We probably could flog em for £20 to be honest, if only we could make them! Am gonna have to have another go - maybe put them in the oven to preheat them.

Craig
22-11-2012, 06:51 PM
This sounds like a job or Paul and his demo videos so we can see how it is done :cool:

Paul
22-11-2012, 07:35 PM
never pressed one in my life :)

pisquee
22-11-2012, 08:41 PM
you don't want to! ;-)

pisquee
22-11-2012, 08:43 PM
... you pre-press it to heat it up, add the transfer and tape it nice and tight, and then press it twice (assuming you want the image to go all the way around without a gap) and then 10 seconds before the timer runs out on the second print you hear a cracking sound - so all that time wasted!

If that mug press that prints all the way around (without the usual handle gap) was the right size to do these faultlessly, I'd be buying one!

pisquee
04-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Anyone still got these lying around and tried them in an oven/vaccuum press?
I've just got a silicone wrap in to trial going to oven route, and have about 25 of these left, so itching to see they work better in an oven, if they do, we may need to source more in again - do any suppliers still carry them?

pisquee
05-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Happy to say printing these in the oven works perfectly with no cracking issues ... i reckon the few we have in stock should fly out!

Paul
05-04-2015, 02:09 PM
How is the image look like on clear glass? Or is this frosted one??

pisquee
05-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Frosted ... the ones BMS used to sell

pisquee
07-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Emailed Martin today, and he said they're hoping to have similar glass tumblers back in around end of May for about £1.50+VAT ... so we're gonna use the ones we have to make up samples for BCTF and Pulse and just let the buyers know they'll ship in June.

Paul
07-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Any photos of those printed Tim?

pisquee
07-04-2015, 10:29 PM
not yet, just did couple of quick test prints, nothing worth photographing

nixnax13
24-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Do you need special sublimation glasses to print on # NEWBIE here

pisquee
24-01-2016, 12:28 AM
yes, you can only print to polyester (and similar polymer materials) so if what you want to print to isn't a suitable polymer, then it needs coating with a suitable polymer layer. And, no, before you ask, you can't coat things yourself (well, technically it is possible to buy coatings, but it isn't economically viable to get it good enough to use for a commercial product)