PDA

View Full Version : Want a heat press!!!

justme
21-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Hi,

Have just purchased sublimation printer and mug press from xpres and totally love it!

I am keen to now buy a heat press... I need it to be suitable for sublimation printing, but also for applying ready made transfers to darker clothing.

My budget, sadly, is £350- £400 max. I have an A3 printer and maybe wanting to print pillowcases, teatowels etc, so need the plate to be quite big.

I am really wanting to spend my money wisely. There are so many options out there...and whilst I'd love to spend 8-900 on a brand spanking new swing press...I just don't have it...soooooo

There's nothing like personal experience/recommendation...what would YOU do...or maybe you have one that you've been happy with but are looking to upgrade...

Look forward to hearing from you -

Sadie

Spawn
11-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi Sadie,

The heat press is really the most important part of the process, after all you don't want vinyl dropping off due to the incorrect temperatures. For the reason, if possibly I would strongly advise trying to get a decent press, obviously these are more expensive.

Having said that, Sublimation involves dying the substrates rather than actually applying a transfer so maybe it's worth starting with a cheaper press and once established and looking at garment films upgrade? What I am trying to get at is that Sublimation can not 'fall off'. Once it's in it's not coming off - the process wouldn't work if the press was way off temperature so you would know if something was not right in the first place.

Adkins do good presses, but I'm sure somone will come along in a minute with a cheaper swing press option (generally a swing press is better for Sublimation as you can do thicker items).

Kaz
11-04-2011, 01:54 PM
I can do thicker items on my clam shell press ;-)

I've got a chinese import that I bought from ebay, had it for a year without any problems, other than not being able to open it when I've got it set to heavy pressure, lol

logobear
11-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Adkins tend to go for about half price on eBay so could be in your range! Had one 15 years!

bikertec
11-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I bought a cheap combi press that does it job but if I had the choice again I would go for a decent stand alone press.

Justin
11-04-2011, 07:01 PM
£400 should just about get you the right Adkins, I swear by them, always have. I've had an imported press that I brought in myself, cheap as chips and did a great job. There are cheaper decent presses around that would fall into your price range but most will be clam presses, not a bad thing but as mentioned above, better to get it right first time as this is your main tool.....and will hopefully pay for itself in no time.