PDA

View Full Version : Replacing thermostat on Aadkins press? ASAP!

justme
21-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Has anyone done it?? Know how complicated/costly it is??

Any thoughts/experience welcome!!

Sadie

mrs maggot
21-03-2011, 08:27 PM
on their website, they have a list of spare parts for every press, they also have a good contact dept, http://www.aadkins.com/parts.htm see if you can find the bits yourself, if not get a quote from them for repair - based in Leicester and still family owned i think

taken from their site "We are always available to answer, or give, information on any aspect of our range."

Stitch Up
21-03-2011, 08:48 PM
If you look closely at the pictures of the heat press, there appears to be a scorch mark on the top of the plate. The pictures are very poor, maybe deliberatly so!

Good luck and be careful - it might not be that cheap!

John

Andrew
21-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Without knowing what model you have it is hard to say but when I changed one a couple of years ago it was okay to do. Not easy but it is possible. Having said this, a lot comes down to how good you are at this type of thing. I can quite happily have a go at anything mechanical or electrical and strip it right down. If you are at the basic levels then it will be easy to make a mistake. Adkins will probably suggest changing a couple of the wiring looms as well if your therostat has burnt out. They will give you a diagram so just make sure you know where everything is removed from when taking it apart so you can replace the same like for like item in the correct position. That was my experience but you might have a different model that is easier or even harder.

justme
21-03-2011, 08:57 PM
No - you're right. It was because I'm keen to get a good press at a good price and I was contemplating this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adkins-swing-Heat-press_W0QQitemZ190513792851QQcategoryZ57065QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp5197.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26 itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3 D7899263036895859216 . But I'm not even as good as amateur at electrics...so I'll think I'll leave it to someone else.

You're right - the pictures are suspiciously bad!!!

Thanks again -

Sadie

Justin
21-03-2011, 09:26 PM
I saw that one Sadie, didn't think you'd be interested due to the fault. Personally I wouldn't go near it, too much hassle ;-)

justme
21-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks Justin, I'm not going to...but ...oh *sob* I want a heatpress!!!

I'm rubbish at waiting!!

Paul
21-03-2011, 09:54 PM
is it have to be atkins??

justme
21-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Nope it doesn't have to be adkins - just has to be reliable and big enough for making the most of my A3 printer...when it comes to printing pillow cases etc. Am desperate for recommendations...so any ideas, please say!! I do have a rather low budget of £300 though...

Paul
21-03-2011, 10:16 PM
get you self a descent chinese press from good supplier. do some job and make money for descent one :) my press is 12"x15" and does the job. can not press full A3 but near enough. I never had to press full a3 yet any way :)

justme
21-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Are you able to point me in the direction of any?

Thanks for your help...

Paul
21-03-2011, 10:30 PM
here it is :) (http://www.coralgraph.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=129)

justme
21-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Thank you - will take a look :)

Paul
21-03-2011, 10:37 PM
you welcome. his web site is belong to Henry (coralgraph) and he also is registered member on this forum. Also is good in resolving problems if anything goes wrong. worth to have a lookm if you dont have to much to spend.

logobear
22-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I have been using Adkins Presses for just over 20 years, only had one totally fail on me, and that over 15 years old ......
I do remember changing a thermostat, which was a bit of a chore, the main issue being calibrating the temperature control. This is no big deal for most transfere types, but is critical for WOW.
On the subject of presses, I have used others, and IMHO nothing compares with the quality, reliability, and consistancy of Adkins. We do many thousands of pressings per year, I have 3 Adkins, and seriously doubt that any cheap press is upto the work you can achieve with a good press. I should mention that much of our work is laser transfere which needs a lot more pressure than sub or vinyl.

justme
23-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Thanks logobear - I am quite determined to figure out a way of affording an Adkins one...

...if you're ever upgrading one of yours...let me know ;-)