PDA

View Full Version : Epson 1290 red lights problem

06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

Im just getting into the dye sub world and i picked up an Epson 1290 in the process of getting all the equipment together.

Ive installed a new CISS for it but Im getting a continuous red light when the carts are in! Ive tried installing them by moving the transport unit to the left and then powering down - then installing the carts and power up again but it didnt work.

The printer already had a CISS with it but I decided to replace this because the printer had been dormant for quite a while and so i thought it best to start with a new CISS (the old one was the Sawgrass system, came with ink pouches!), so i put that system back in and guess what...no work! I know for a fact that the printer has been used and the ink pouches were all nearly empty, so its had some use and the previous owner said they had no issues. I totally trust them and theyre happy to take it back so im guessing that these new carts arent seated properly or the chips are faulty.

Am i barking up the right tree here re: cart seating? or does anyone else have any more info that could help me...its the Epson 1290.

Any useful replies are good ;)

cheers all
Dave.

Paul
06-12-2009, 06:00 PM
hi! it sounds like chip problem. I had this same problem. yelow cart chip was down so you need to replace whole ciss. also u can try swap chip from old ciss.

06-12-2009, 06:21 PM
hi, thanks for the reply.

For the Epson, the colour cart is an all in one, theres no seperate yellow cart so i cant see how its the chip for that. Thing is though, its brand new.

The old CISS system doesnt work either, i think it has a lot to do with the seating of the carts and the chips not touching the contacts. ive read that i could also use a cable tie to help hold the carts down, but to be honest, the carts were more than tightly in place anyway.

hmm...
Cheers
Dave.

Paul
06-12-2009, 06:31 PM
i mean my printer :) is not a 1290 :) so I have all separete colors. r those red light flashing?

bms
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Do you have the status monitor installed and can you see if either the black or colour cart is not recognised? That would help identify which chip needs replacing if it is that.

Might be worth googling for SSC Utility as it might be the waste tank that needs to be reset. Download this small piece of software, install it and then click on the X to shut the program down. You'll see a new icon in the bottom right of your screen - right hand click on this to load up a shortcut menu and one of the options there is to replace (or reset) protection counter. When asked say yes you have replaced the waste ink pad. This can also be used to reset chips, but won't get a faulty chip working if that is the case.

chongsta
06-12-2009, 08:33 PM
That sounds interesting, Ill give it a try tomorrow and let you know.

Many thanks for that

Dave.

chongsta
07-12-2009, 03:02 PM
sadly that program didnt work.

Ive contacted the company and theyre sending out some new chips, so hopefully we'll see tomorrow.

Are these chips easy enough to replace? anyone changed any before.

Cheers all
Dave.

Paul
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I did.

this is not for your printer but it will give you some idea how to do it:

http://i18.servimg.com/u/f18/14/48/50/36/th/chip_r11.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=10&u=14485036)

thanx

Paul

bms
08-12-2009, 08:05 PM
The chips just clip into place. You could use a bit of hot glue to hold them in place or a bit of double sided taped (very small piece). The 1290 chips have a small hole in them which corresponds to a small plastic lug on the cartridge so you should be able to fit new ones very easily.

chongsta
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

Ok then, got it working. It was the chip afterall. I was sent a new unit and decided to just swap over the cables instead and re-purge the cart.

Red light no more :)

Many thanks for all your help guys.
Dave.