PDA

View Full Version : Couple of issues

justme
24-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I just tried printing my first full height mug. How can I avoid speckles around the rim. There even seemed to be some faint colouring inside the mug near the rim?! I am using brand new xpres mug press, for 3 mins on 200 and epson 1400 printer. I am dipping in water afterwards... Can colour run at that point? near the handle was faint too, buti guess that was me being over ambitious about how close to the handle it can print? Any thoughts?

smitch6
24-03-2011, 04:10 PM
you should cut your paper exact so don't have a white bit at the top
and areas around the base are harder to sub because you have to pre-heat the mug
most ppl put them on a radiator for a while to warm them up
on my press i have about 1cm gap either side of the handle so that area won't sub unless you use an oven etc.

keep playing you'll soon figure out where you can sub and what the results look like

full top to bottom wraps are a nightmare some ppl have got is sussed i tend to try and avoid them if i can :)
i always leave a 5mm gap top and bottom now

smitch6
24-03-2011, 04:12 PM
oh and btw your website looks really nice well done :)

justme
24-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi thanks for your comments re my website!

I'm really surprised about how far away from the handle I seem to have to print to get a crisp line. I get the top perfect on one, the bottom perfect on the next...

...I think I'm with you - steer clear of top to bottom!!!

I get stressed wasting mugs...the others work really nicely and my designs suit either, so I think I'll avoid the stress!!!

BTW what's the most environmentally friendly way to dispose of wasted mugs...??

justme
24-03-2011, 06:05 PM
..but then...I hate to be beaten...and am keen to conquor this...so anyone using with any further tips that'd be great!

The last one was the best one...in fact they've improved each time. I increased the pressure...I think if I did that AND warmed the base of the mug...I might be onto something...the colour just looks slightly thinner around the base...that's caused by it being cooler isn't it???

smitch6
24-03-2011, 06:37 PM
yes it is :)
it's fainter around the bottom because the ceramic is thicker so the heat can't get in there as well
i tried heating mine up but could never get it right

i don't think there is an enviro way to dispose old mugs but if there is any white space on them then keep them for practise

mrs maggot
24-03-2011, 06:53 PM
smash them and use them in the bottom of plant pots instead of gravel maybe ??