PDA

View Full Version : Printing onto champagne glasses

swimwivsquid
09-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I have just been asked whether I can print onto champagne glasses for a wedding...I declined as I have never done this but curious to know how it could be done.The client wanted to supply their own glasses.... I've seen beer & whisky dye sub glasses. Would the champagne glasses be done with another system? Scuse the question but have only had experience of a limited amount of dye sub products.

Thanks for any help

Richard

Paul
09-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I never seen sublimation glasses my self but I know you can decorate glasses for whisky, shampagne etc with names and other simple graphic by useing frost powder.

JSR
09-12-2009, 05:55 PM
You wouldn't be able to print to the champagne glasses unless they were coated to accept sublimation ink and, even then, the shape of the glasses kind of precludes the traditional pressing methods.

I know you can etch to glasses but, even then, having glasses supplied by the client brings up the question of who pays for wasteage.

Of the glasses that are available pre-coated, you run into the trouble of having no white ink. The result is a stained-glass effect with all the light colours being difficult to see and white disappearing entirely. If the client wanted pictures of, for example, the bride in a white wedding dress printed onto the glass then you would get nothing but transparency and maybe a head bobbing about on its own.

There are some things that dye-sub just isn't suited to.

An alternative, albeit somewhat restrictive, method to personalise glasses can be found here: http://www.hometogifts.co.uk/sublimation-blanks-glass.htm You're not printing to the glass, you're printing on a small aluminium disc that you stick to the glass in the space provided.

swimwivsquid
09-12-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks Paul your reply got me looking and I found a glass etching site which I think would be the correct way to do this sort of thing.
JSR thanks for the reply and yes you are right dye sub isn't the way to go with this one. The etching looked interesting.....might explore this further.If anyone is interested
http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/

Paul
09-12-2009, 10:09 PM
yeee. let us know. I never tryed that my self but would be very interesting see effects.
I know you can cut stencils with craft robo. stick them to the glass then paste it with this powder... I saw it on youtube I think :) looked good.

castlegategiftcreations
09-12-2009, 11:50 PM
another option although not totally ideal is The Magic Touch water transfer paper. We use these but do tell our customers that they are for decorative use only and we don't reccommend using them.

Every customer who has ordered either a glass/plate or anything else has been really happy with the results and understands that they use them and they risk damaging the transfer pic.

GoldRapt
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Paul your reply got me looking and I found a glass etching site which I think would be the correct way to do this sort of thing.
JSR thanks for the reply and yes you are right dye sub isn't the way to go with this one. The etching looked interesting.....might explore this further.If anyone is interested
http://www.glass-etching-kits.com/

For gods sake, don't buy off this fake oil seller.
If you want to etch go buy armour etch from someone ;like Andovers or go to HobbyCraft and buy a Glass Etching Starter Kit.
Myself, I'm just learning at what kits needed for sand carving :-)

swimwivsquid
10-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up Goldrapt...I'll do as you suggest. Hadn't got any further yet as we are operating on island time :) Appreciate the warning. If the mods want to delete the link I posted please do.
Kind regards
Richard