PDA

View Full Version : Roland Versacamm Plotter/Printer

gstk
29-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Does anyone use one on the forum. I really would like to invest in one but would love to see one in action without the sales bulshit when you look at a show. I'd like to know its real faults and capabilities. Ideally if someone could spare a couple of hours showing it in action. I would be happy to pay for the time used.

I am based in Lincs

Cheers

chongsta
30-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Hi,

I use the Versacamm SP300-V and to be honest its pretty easy to use. I would not advise you use 3rd party inks at all. I did this and ended up screwing the heads, cost me £1500 to sort out, and that was with a generous engineer that took pity on me that day. Stick to original Roland inks.

Cleaning is easy as well and parts are relatively cheap. I use these guys in belgium for my parts, http://www.digiprint-supplies.com/

Are you thinking of the 30" or the 54" model? In hindesight i wouldve got the 54" but it was about 5K dearer and we didnt foresee that we;d be using it for a totally different purpose to what we initally bought it for.

Ive had mine 5 years now and its still going strong. I would heartily recommend it. Saying that, its the only large format printer ive owned :)

Second hand ones are available and they retain their prices just nice. Mine is still worth 5k and i bought it for £6999 + Vat 5 years ago!

The newer VP models are twice as fast though!!! I would get one of them and spend the extra cash coz your jobs will be printed well fast i tell thee :)

Hope that helps ..

Dave

gstk
30-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Thanks Dave - its one of those cases where I cant really afford it but can I afford not to get one. Some of the work we do we do multi layered vinyl on garments and it takes so much time. To be able to print and cut the logos would be a godsend and of course the ability to do stickers etc to add to the range. I worry about second hand as with all things.

Will have a look.

Thanks
Tony

chongsta
30-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I know a company that deals in second hand printers. They all get fully refurbished and come with 1 year warranties.

I'll dig out his website for you (its on another computer)

cheers
dave

DS Designs
30-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I agree with Dave's comments, I use one too Tony, Highly recommended machine, wouldn't be without it. the 30" one is suitable for my needs to be honest....but you always get someone asking for a 4' wide banner lol, thats sods law.

Dave

gstk
30-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks again, If I sent you a piece of artwork could you tell me if it would print and cut it in one go? And what the quality would be like.

DS Designs
30-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Not sure if you're refering to me or the other Dave, but yes no problems

gstk
30-03-2011, 07:08 PM
any Dave will do ;0)

Thanks any preferred format?

DS Designs
31-03-2011, 09:16 AM
not really, for easyness a .jpg will be fine

Dave

chongsta
01-04-2011, 10:50 PM
hahah...too many daves here :)

Print and cut is what the machine is about Tony, it has an excellent reputation within the industry. Just dont use 3rd party inks!!!!!! arghggg

but you always get someone asking for a 4' wide banner lol, thats sods law.

Oh isnt that the truth! Thats why i wish Id got the 54" machine. Banner material is so cheap its unreal, you can make your cash back on the first banner you do and then you have 48 metres of pure profit left after that.

How do you primarily use yours Dave? I intially bought it as a print/cut for stained glass effect mirrors I used to do, and then whilst perusing the Grafityp monthly magazine i saw that it printed direct to canvas.....suffice to say my business took a turn over night! and ive not looked back. Your Versa keeps its value well, as long as you have full service history but if i was in the market for another print/cut, Id go for the 54" VP. Twice as fast and the same quality output, extremely rare to find second hand ones as they're the business.

@ Tony, what is you want to print and cut? i.e. whats your business idea for the printer? Its a lot of money and buying the correct one from the start is a huge bonus.

Dave.

DS Designs
02-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Dave, Primarily use it for print and cut decals, but also Banners, Garment transfers, canvas prints, window cling decals etc.... also tried printing on Grafityps Bermuda fabric material, pretty pleased with the results too...I agree with what you say regarding getting the correct size printer from the start, I would have gone for the 54" one but the office isn't big enough lol......so it had to be the 30" one. I do quite like the look of the new VS series that can print white and metallics too... I could really use that.

Regards............Dave

P.S Wish i'd have known about the free course at Grafityp the other day with the siser garment vinyls, as they are literally 10 minutes drive away if that. I'm pretty ok with layering but always good to pick up new tips :-)

gstk
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
would be interested - thanks

chongsta
04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey Dave.

Whats the Bermuda fabric material all about? Whats it for?

cheers
Dave

DS Designs
13-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi Dave........sorry for the late reply....... it's like a flag material but a bit thicker, it can be used for roll up banners photo reproduction, canvas substitute etc.....its coated one side for printing..prints pretty well

Dave