PDA

View Full Version : Magic Touch TTC - OKI Printers

John G
03-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Hi All,
I had samples of TTC paper that I tried through a Minolta laser 2300DL, I did small prints and the results were good. I bought a full box of TTC and took my first order for 16 hen shirts - full A4 photo on front of T shirt.

1st print was great then I had problems with lines getting gouged in the print. Had a look in the fuser unit and the last 2 guide wheels are causing this - this was backed up when I rang The Magic Touch for advise. They say it can be used - for smaller prints, not full A4 photo's.:frown:

I don't want to go to the expense of buying a dedicated OKi laser printer just for hen shirts - does anyone know if the cheaper Oki's, or any other laser printers, have straight paper paths and are suitable for TTC transfer papers.

Cheers John

bms
03-04-2011, 11:59 AM
I think you'll find TMT have the monopoly of this knowledge. Without testing each and every model it's not possible to say definitively. Have you asked TMT this question?

gstk
03-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I think you'll find TMT have the monopoly of this knowledge. Without testing each and every model it's not possible to say definitively. Have you asked TMT this question?

When we started up we tried the same with an Epson Acculaser. After much messing about we wasted a lot of time. We ended up buying an OKI and its been a great machine. As Martin says you can ask but I dont think they will recommend anything other than thye sell.

John G
03-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I had the sample sheets from The Magic Touch but bought the full box of you Martin - was just wondering whether anybody on here used a different printer or even a cheaper OKI. Seems to me its important to have a straight paper path, which the Minolta doesn't have.

I have spoke with TMT and they said its possible with a minolta 2300DL but I cannot get mine to print as its catching, and gunking up the feed roller wheels inside the fuser unit.

DS Designs
03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
John, I use an Oki 5800 with TTC 3.1 it works just fine, I also believe the 3000 models do too. I originally had an Epson acculaser c900, that worked fine too with TTC papers.

Dave

logobear
03-04-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't agree that MT only suggest printers they sell, they gave a comprehensive comparability list on their website.
The problems as I understand them are two fold.
Firstly it must be a powder toner based laser printer, and more of the newer models use wax.
Secondly the paper path must be capable of carrying heavier media, and especially for the fused to be able to put enough heat into the paper to fuse it.
The MT Are leaders in laser transfere, you can follow their free advice, or experiment.....

John G
03-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi dave - i'll check out the 5800 & 3000 models, cheers
Hi Logobear - thanks for your input - the Minolta is feeding it through OK but it is an old machine so maybe the fuser unit just isn't up to it. TMT have been very helpful, just bought the TTC off BMS as this was to test the printer, and the market - and the box was £5.00 cheaper, that helps!

Will have to work out the costs and see if its worth buying a new dedicated TMT printer. Its a lot to fork out at the moment with work being a little slow!

gstk
03-04-2011, 05:12 PM
For the record we use a 5800 (Fromt TMT) which has worked with all the magictouch papers.

PS I wasnt slating TMT I was just stating they are in it to make money also. They have always been very helpful.

Gordon
07-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Guy's, has any one tried the subi "dark" from BMS?, if so how was it? & for you all who have used the TMT papers, what the differents, as I see it the dark from BMS is sublimation & no need for a new print set up. I've just ordered some to play with, any thoughts.
Thanks Gordon

DS Designs
10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi Gordon, The different types of papers from TMT are all for different substrates, i.e The TTC papers are for light coloured garments, The CPM is for hard items like Coasters, clocks and Jigsaws etc....... I can't comment on The Subli Dark from BMS as I've never tried it, but if you only have a Dye sub printer maybe its worth a try. I mainly use a laser printer hence the TMT papers

Regards............Dave

jennywren
10-04-2011, 01:08 PM
i use magic tough and went with their suggestons, the paper cost is expensive, so it seemed silly not to get the printers they recommend, the first printer blow up and it was replaced, if that had been with one that they had not recommened they would not have replaced it, so if your going to spend that much whats a few pounds more, and they do bend over backwards if you have right equpment. So in my case with all my phoneing and moaning have the right printer paid off. I'm still nervous about using it since the first one went with a bang.

Gordon
10-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Hi Dave,
Thanks for that, I get it but can you tell me if you have used the subi-dark from BSM? also I have just got a cutter/ploter can you tell me about different vinal's? ie, sine / t-shirt ect, is there a differents????
Thanks Gordon.

John G
11-04-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Gordon, it might be better to start a separate thread about Subli dark, instead of dragging an ongoing thread in the wrong direction.

Hi Jennywren, I've been tempted for a while to use the TTC paper and was told it is poossible to use my minolta printer - well, it won't go through mine without leaving trail marks and unusable prints. £500.00 is too much for a laser printer for the occasional hen shirt order so it looks like i'll either buy second hand or write this idea off.

Its a shame as i've asked a neighbouring embroidering co,. who has an oki, to print onto my TTC paper - i've pressed the shirts and am quite impressed with the results. Problem is the other printer won't do this ongoing for me which is understandable!

Kaz
11-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I've got the subli dark paper from BMS, but never got a chance to try it out this past weekend, got caught up with other things, and won't have a chance to try it today either

DS Designs
13-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Gordon, reply sent via PM

Dave

DS Designs
13-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Jennywren, Sorry to hear about your printer :-( I'm guessing it was the Oki TMT version?. I think it's a rare occurrence that they blow up, don't be scared to use it..........Yes, some of the TMT papers are expensive, but the way I look at it is it's worth paying the extra for if it does the job properly. Not sure if you do this sort of thing as a living or a hobby, for me it's my living, so I have to use consumables that i know work...and work well. I know the TTC paper works well so I buy 10 boxes at a time.

Dave