PDA

View Full Version : Mugs

annoat25
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi all can anyone reccommend where to buy good dishwasher proof mugs. We have brought a batch and most need fettling at the bottom and there are alot of imperfections on the mugs.

Thanks

John G
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
BMS sell them, as do Xpres, Corelgraph etc - where did you get your current mugs from?

Lee
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm new to this, but I got mine from BMS and so far (touch wood) I've not had one dodgy print, dishwasher OR microwave problem... :-)

Justin
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
What mug press are you using?

kris_hm
04-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I buy mugs from ebay - seller ID 'simplysublimation'
cheap, good quality and packed in individual boxes
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48-Best-Quality-Sublimation-11oz-Mugs-Heat-Press-/320674473338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa9b0257a#ht_643wt_1139

Paul
04-04-2011, 05:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/48-Best-Quality-Sublimation-11oz-Mugs-Heat-Press-/320674473338?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa9b0257a#ht_643wt_1139

I had them before. 11oz ones. very good to print on and very white and quite stright too. but they not dishwasher safe so havve that in mind.

stuart
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM
dishwashers fade everything eventually,mugs i pressed 2 years ago have nearlly gone,but the ones the inlaws have are fine (no dishwasher)
plates that are not sublimated have also faded so you cant really put a gaurentee on your mugs
stu

bms
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Mugs we printed in December 2006 are still as vibrant today as the day they were printed. These test mugs are used and washed in a domestic dishwasher and still no deterioration in image quality. That's why we give the dishwasher guarantee on our RN coated mugs.

John G
05-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Stuart, i'd get your mugs from somewhere else, if they are supposed to be dishwasher safe, and you've paid a good money for the blank mugs, they are dishwasher safe - and won't fade.

stuart
05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Stuart, i'd get your mugs from somewhere else, if they are supposed to be dishwasher safe, and you've paid a good money for the blank mugs, they are dishwasher safe - and won't fade.

all my gear is supplied by xpres so i thought it would be good,maybe i need to try elsewhere,any one want to send me a sample to try?
stu

gstk
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
we BMS Mugs and the ones we cock up generally go into use here and get washed frequently and never fade at all.

JSR
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM

I love the way that listing says "WE DO NOT MAKE REFUNDS ON DAMAGED MUGS". So they're the only business in the UK that's allowed to flout the Sale of Goods Act, are they?

I must try that one myself. :rolleyes:

Justin
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Is this something to do with Royal Mail not insuring ceramics/glass? I may be wrong.

JSR
05-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Is this something to do with Royal Mail not insuring ceramics/glass? I may be wrong.

Most couriers won't insure breakages to ceramics and glass, but that doesn't mean the buyer has to pay for the damages. It means the seller has to pack them better.

Using a clause like "WE DO NOT MAKE REFUNDS ON DAMAGED MUGS" effectively allows the seller to send you a box of smashed up ceramics and make you pay for it. Who's to say they aren't just shipping broken mugs and using this clause to make the customer pay? That's the reason it's not allowed under the Sale of Goods Act.

Unless you're buying a box of broken bits, you don't have to accept a box of broken bits - no matter what the seller says.

mrs maggot
05-04-2011, 12:58 PM
thats the reason i wont be buying my mugs from them - i read that and thought no way on earth - i expect the supplier to make every reasonable effort in their packaging, i then expect the courier - whoever it is to take reasonable care of my goods - if it "chinks" or "rattles" when its delivered i would mark it as so, or make the courier wait until i have unpacked and examined them

John G
05-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Stuart - Xpres mugs shouldn't fade, I use them and they are fine along with BMS ones.
I would definitely contact them if there's a problem.

Kaz
05-04-2011, 02:52 PM
The ebay seller is wrong to put that on his listings, because as long as you paid with paypal, if the item arrives damaged or not as described, you can put in a claim

JSR
05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
thats the reason i wont be buying my mugs from them - i read that and thought no way on earth - i expect the supplier to make every reasonable effort in their packaging, i then expect the courier - whoever it is to take reasonable care of my goods - if it "chinks" or "rattles" when its delivered i would mark it as so, or make the courier wait until i have unpacked and examined them

I agree. If one mug in a batch is broken, then I'm not going to cause a fuss because my business won't live or die on a £1 coin - but that's my choice to make, not the supplier's.

It wasn't so long ago that I ordered 12 plates of which 8 arrived broken. The 8 replacements also arrived broken. They arrived broken because of inadequate packing on the part of the supplier, and there's no way I'm going to pay for them scrimping on their packaging. If that supplier had said what this supplier says, I'd be out of pocket to the tune of £40. That is something that would affect my business, so I'd rather not deal with the supplier that tries to use that clause.

Andrew
05-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Plenty of couriers insure ceramics. Don't know why he sticks with one that doesn't. He wouldn't have a leg to stand on if someone wanted to claim. He does basically state you get what you pay for and basically he hasn't included his time in sorting out claims or covering them with delivery insurcance.

Xpres' Rhino coating shouldn't be giving you so many problems Stu. Whilst it possibly isn't as dureable as RN coating it should last quite well.

JSR
05-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Plenty of couriers insure ceramics.
Which ones? The only ones I've found will insure for loss but not for damage. I'll be interested in any that insure for damage.

Andrew
05-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I have used Fedex, UPS, DPD and Fastway all of which insure my mugs sent out. I sent out a couple of hundred large latte mugs about a year ago and only 80 made it intact. The packaging inserts for this type of mug are always quite flimsy so isn't that good at protecting them so was expecting a few not to make it. I took a few photos of the boxes which obviously had been knocked about and they paid up without any problem and that was with Fedex.

Andrew
05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
One other things with couriers, it is worthwhile finding out which ones use a conveyor system for parcel sorting and which ones don't. With most conveyors there tends to be the drop points where they fall of the end. Non conveyorised are done by hand and should be safer. Having said that, I've seen some of the delivery guys throw boxes a fair distance when loading a van even though they know mugs are in the box. I pity the stuff it lands on as we often shrinkwrap 72 together so they can't throw then as far.

JSR
05-04-2011, 11:20 PM
I have used Fedex, UPS, DPD and Fastway all of which insure my mugs sent out. I sent out a couple of hundred large latte mugs about a year ago and only 80 made it intact. The packaging inserts for this type of mug are always quite flimsy so isn't that good at protecting them so was expecting a few not to make it. I took a few photos of the boxes which obviously had been knocked about and they paid up without any problem and that was with Fedex.
I'm looking at those websites now. I can't find anything on the Fedex website about damages, but the DPD website says this -

Subject to the provisions of this clause and of clauses 4, 10, 11 and 12, the Company shall be liable for any physical loss of, or physical damage to, goods during transit as defined in Clause 7, and storage other than storage under clause 7(c)(ii), except to the extent that such loss or damage has arisen from or consists of :

(c) damage or breakage of articles of, or for that part of any articles that comprises of china, glass, porcelain, earthenware or other similar materials;
Which, in my mind, sounds like they don't pay out for breakages to mugs.

Likewise, Fastways smallprint states -

The Carrier does not accept for carriage livestock, second hand car parts, perishables, cash, jewellery, glass, fragile items or other such valuables. The above items are carried at the Consignor's Risk.
Ceramics and china mugs would, presumably, be come under the description "fragile items".

Perhaps there aren't so many couriers that'll insure mugs for breakage after all.

Andrew
06-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I use both Fedex and UPS currently both who definately cover ceramics. I have had a successful claim with Fastway but it was agreed before hand that we were covered. DPD have been totuting for business and also told me I would be covered. You should keep an eye who the blanks suppliers use when mugs come into you as I am sure most would have insurance on their orders ...... unless hey have a clause that says tough luck if they get broke coz you ain't claiming from me after.

JSR
06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I use both Fedex and UPS currently both who definately cover ceramics. I have had a successful claim with Fastway but it was agreed before hand that we were covered. DPD have been totuting for business and also told me I would be covered. You should keep an eye who the blanks suppliers use when mugs come into you as I am sure most would have insurance on their orders ...... unless hey have a clause that says tough luck if they get broke coz you ain't claiming from me after.

It's nice that you've had success with these companies but their smallprint is what would apply to everyone else.

If Fedex and UPS cover breakages to ceramics, then it's a shame they don't give this higher priority somewhere in their T&Cs or on their website given that it's a feature that so few couriers appear to offer.

As for who the suppliers use, a popular supplier on here uses Parcel Force - who definitely do NOT insure for breakages to ceramics or china.

From the smallprint I've read, most couriers will insure these items for delay or loss but not for damage. Asking a courier if they insure ceramics might have them answering "yes" when they're only referring to delay or loss insurance.

Andrew
06-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I guess you need to confirm if "fragile" means ceramic mugs. A well packaged mug is no more fragile than an electrical item/toy etc or many other items. Never really read the small print on Fedex and UPS to be honest but they have always been reliable in mostly keeping the deliveries intact but on the couple of occasions where I have had to claim all went well.

Having said that, I just lost well over £1k on a pallet claim that wnet up in flames with a haulier recently due to being well under insured. I thought I had enough cover if the pallet took a bump and a small amount of stock was needing to be replaced. Hadn't counted on the wagon going up in flames.