PDA

View Full Version : Printer help

castlegategiftcreations
11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
We have a sublimation printing business in aberdeen and unfortunately one of our printers has decided to pack in on us.

It is not a sublimation printer - so I am hoping you will maybe still be able to help.

It is an OKI C8600 A3 and basically there is no power in it. I have tested the power cable and it is fine so it is def. the printer. Does anyone know of any printer engineers that could possibly come and have a look. I have phoned OKI and they have said that there is a £125 + vat call out charge!!!!!!! and the guy we used in the past for another printer has moved up north (even further up than aberdeen!!!).

Hope someone might be able to help.

cheers

JSR
28-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I can't help you with the printer, but the call out charge sounds "normal".

A few years back I had a problem with my Epson Aculaser C1000. It was out of warranty but I contacted Epson anyway. The guy was very helpful, suggesting the problem could be with a sensor. He advised me how to remove it and clean it, but that didn't help. He offered that I could send the part to him and he'd get it cleaned properly and sent back (for free). Which he did.

Unfortunately that still didn't fix the problem and he said the next step was to have an Engineer visit. The charge would be £140+VAT. As the printer's replacement (the C1100) was only ~£200 (complete with fresh toners), I declined the offer.

It's unfortunate but these printers are effectively throwaway items nowadays and they just don't want to fix them. Not exactly good for the planet, or our wallets.

bms
29-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Agree with the comment above and this call out charge will exclude the cost of parts! Problem is that an A3 colour laser is expensive to buy, so your choice is (a) to repair and swallow the cost or (b) review if you need an A3 laser and put the money towards a new A4 version.