PDA

View Full Version : Problem with photoshop elements?

AdamB
14-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

So - here's the problem.

I have used elements for many, many years, and although I also use photoshop and corel I find my way around elements easier so I have grown to use this on a regular basis.

Most of my files are all psd (photoshop files) that have been created over the years and I often go into them, edit them, and pull them into blank sheets to print.

A few months ago I noticed that some of the colours were off during printing. Not knowing what it was I decided that it 'may' be the CISS system that I had installed a few months prior so I bought a profile (it was created for me) which I have had a few weeks.

The first time I used it, colours were great so I thought that I had solved the problem. However, things started to print wrong again. I knew this as I had printed some of the files before so I knew that they looked wrong.

The company looked into the profile again and asked me to print off the colour charts to which they said they were a lot different than before ................ this got me really confused as I was printed with no profile and one was ok and the other was different.

Well, today I stumbled upon what I believe is the problem - but I cannot solve it!

When I open up a file that was created many months ago the palette looks a lot different to opening a new template. For example, I open up a blank A4 sheet and the colour palette looks duller than the palette being used in the file that was created many months ago (both files are open at the same time).

To explain further, RED is the most noticeable colour and I was created something today that needed to be printed. One time the logo was good, the next time the reds were a lot duller.

What I found was that when I drag across a logo that is true red into a newly opened A4 file, the red goes duller automatically.

SEE BELOW FOR A LINK TO THE SCREEN SHOT IMAGE.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/woodentop/PROBLEMS.jpg

You will see the left of the screen (1) is a lot brighter and more vibrant than the right (2).

(1) was an A4 file that I had used many months ago and the red palette is perfect.

(2) is a new A4 file that i opened and then dragged across the logo. The logo went duller and I did a colour test on what colour the red was (see bottom image chart).

You can see that the identical image is different in (1) compared to (2).

I know this isn't a problem with my screen as (1) is fine.

At the moment I have an A4 and A3 sheet that I re-open, edit and save as a different file to overcome this problem but the answer has got to be so obvious it must be staring me in the face?

Anyway any ideas as after 3hrs surfing for what I thought would be an obvious problem I got no where.

Here's hoping .......

Adam

AdamB
14-04-2011, 06:22 PM
After all that typing - I think I just found it!

Edit > Colour Settings!

Took me a while to get this post up as well ................... oh well, suppose it's useful for someone else :-)

John G
14-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Looks like ones a cmyk and the other is RGB

Paul
14-04-2011, 09:56 PM
to mee looks like one logo would be saved as sRGB and othewr as AdobeRGB. :)

AdamB
15-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Looks like ones a cmyk and the other is RGB

That's what I first thought John - but elements doesn't have the option to save as CMYK. You can, but you have to cheat it with layers to do it or use another conversion tool.

to mee looks like one logo would be saved as sRGB and othewr as AdobeRGB. :)

I think that with the settings I was using as a default option paul it was effecting a lot of things and maybe it was attaching a profile to images as I saved the file??

Either way, I think the problem is now solved - thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Adam