PDA

View Full Version : Temperature problem with Adkins Beta Press

Warrior
14-04-2011, 11:50 PM
I've had this press from new for a couple of years and it works very well most of the time. (Great bit of kit, first one lasted 15 years)

However, within the first few weeks on setting it to 200 degrees it shot up to 240-250!

Adkins picked it up, put it on test for a week and could find no problems. The trouble was that it never happened all the time anyway.:confused:

I overcame the problem by setting the press to 198 and until this week all has been ok. Now, again it's shooting up to dangerously high temperatures and my colleague tells me it does it every few weeks but sorts itself it turned off for ten minutes.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Andrew
15-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Sounds like the thermostat sensor is on the way out. They are a bit of a pain to change but can be done. Having said that, if it was that simple I am sure Adkins would have sorted it as they are quite good. If it only happens every few weeks and takes a 10 min switch off to sort I wouldn't go messing around with it yet. Wait until the the issue becomes more obvious to diagnose.

Warrior
15-04-2011, 12:45 PM
It's done this since I first got it and i've learned to live with it, or rather my colleague has.
I wasn't aware it was still a problem until using it myself this week and as my working day can see me distracted by phonecalls etc., the first suggestion of it overheating is the smell.

It's now looking dangerous although I am assured it won't burst into flames:frown:

Andrew
15-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Tell Adkins you are still not happy with it if it has been like from new. Keep a diary as when the problem happens and what you had been doing before it. Adkins presses are usually a good bit of kit ( the best on the regular presses imo), they should sort it out.

helenaur
10-05-2011, 07:50 AM
We have had exactly the same problem! We have the same press and it has worked faultlessly for 3 years but now occasionally the temperature shoots up.

It is always OK the first time the press is used and normally happens if the press is used switched off for a while and then switched on for a second time. It's not a major issue for us at the moment since we supervise the press when it's on and like you turning it off for 10 minutes and back on normally clears the problem, and we don't want to send it off since we can't do without it! It would be good to know there is a fix in case it gets worse - if anyone has a link showing how to change the thermostat sensor that would be brilliant.

I hope it gets sorted for you soon, I will let you know if we decide to fix ours too.