PDA

View Full Version : Dtg

AJLA
19-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Do all DTG machines when printing on dark coloured tees require pre treatment of shirts?
Is this the norm?

AJLA
19-04-2011, 12:11 PM
To those of you who are lucky enough to own a DTG machine what advice would you give to someone who is looking to buy? Especially for people such as ourselves who currently print mostly whites onto black.

AdamB
19-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Hi Mandy,

I think John (StitchUp) would be best to advise and assist as he has a DTG Machine.

This post: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?442-Direct-to-Garment-Printing-I-ve-gone-and-done-it! is worth a read if you haven't seen it already?

AJLA
21-04-2011, 10:15 AM
I was hoping he might be around Adam but he doesn't appear to be, good sign as this may mean he's a very busy man.

I thought having spent some time using the DTG he might have further input as to.... would he buy the same machine again and the pros and cons etc. We've bought many machines in the past and it's not actually untill you put them into use you sort of think ...wish it did this or why doesn't it do that ...if you know what I mean

Stitch Up
21-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Mandy, sorry for the delay in replying - my day job is hectic, I'm posting from work now! The plan is that my partner Angie will soon be full-time in the business instead of working more than full time for M&S.

The answer to your question is a definate yes, all black & dark colours require pre-treatment so the white ink underbase adheres to the shirt.

John

AJLA
21-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks John i thought you must have been busy. great news for you, keep it up!
BTW is the DTG machine busy?

Stitch Up
21-04-2011, 11:55 AM
We're in that 'grey' area Mandy where we're not really coping well due to pressures of time. We like to be 'on the ball', responding quickly and getting things done. At present, we're having to accelerate our plans which leads to other problems - a bit catch 22! And, as we're doing everything from home, it's made all the more difficult because of the clutter, stock, equipment etc etc. I'm not complaining :)

The DTG machine could be VERY busy and will be soon!

GoldRapt
24-04-2011, 11:59 AM
The answer to your question is a definate yes, all black & dark colours require pre-treatment so the white ink underbase adheres to the shirt.

John

Hi John,
what exactly is involved in this pre treatment please?
I don't own a DTG , i'm just being nosey.

Stitch Up
24-04-2011, 01:38 PM
No problem being nosey :)

The shirt needs to be pressed to lay the fibres flat then, you spray the shirt with a pre-treatment solution and finally cure the pre-treatment in the heat press. Then the shirt is ready for printing!

Pre-treatment is required to hold the white ink, the base for all colours.

John