PDA

View Full Version : Is this the way CISS works?

kalif
20-04-2011, 10:42 PM
I've fitted a Epson D120 with a CISS system. Had a lot of bother getting the printer to recognize the part of the CISS that replaces the cartridges. It might have been the contacts, the reset button, the level of ink in the system, I don't really know. After sucking the ink to the very tops of the replacement cartridges with the syringe, taking the system in and out several times, and also holding the reset switch I finally got the red light to go away.

At last I'm printing but I notice the ink level seems to be going down in the "cartridges". I had expected that the ink would automatically feed through from the big chambers and that's what makes it a continuous system? If the ink level drops too far and I then have to reprime and/or reset the chips I'm worried that I'm going to have the same trouble as before and not be able to get it working again.

How do others get on with CISS?

bms
20-04-2011, 10:46 PM
The ink levelsnwill drop as the printer reads the data on the chips. This has no bearing on the physical ink in the cartridge. When the levels get very low you will need to just reset the chip.

kalif
20-04-2011, 11:00 PM
OK, thanks. So everything is working normally for now. I guess the printer is working blind and can't be expected to sense the mod I have done to it :). If the CISS "cartridges" won't reset is it likely that I could replace that bit, or would I have to go for a spin with a whole other CISS from a different source?

bms
21-04-2011, 08:38 AM
The chips should reser. That's the whole point of a CIS. If they don't then you'll need to get chips that can be reset.

smitch6
21-04-2011, 08:55 AM
my ciss on my s21 didn't have a reset button
what i had to do was when it said it was empty do the replace cartridge thing via s21's control panel and then when it said change cart i had to remove the so called empty 1 and put it back in

it then read it as full again
a bit of a pain but it worked

thankfully my B1100 has a reset button