PDA

View Full Version : Printing problem....?

Lee
22-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Hi there
I am printing a mug, but I'm not happy with the results in 2 areas - its a full wrap, multi coloured - if you imagine a patchwork quilt it wouldn't be too far off....

Problem 1 - I notice one bottom corner is a bit faded... I've printed this twice now and the second time I made 100% sure it was positioned right and completely flat and sealed with heat tape - altho there is a white edge protruding from the image..

Problem 2 - I notice the black isn't 100% solid really...?

I am printing at 180 for 150 seconds...

Also...the image was supplied as dpi of 72 - so I have changed this to 300 - I presume this loses a bit of quality - or is there another way to effectivey adjust an image in PS...

Thanks again!

John G
22-04-2011, 11:29 AM
150 seconds is too short try 180 @ 180 seconds. Faded is either not enough time or not enough pressure. Try adjusting the seconds and if no good put more pressure on.

Lee
22-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Thanks John - will do!

Kaz
22-04-2011, 12:27 PM
If I get white fading on the edge of a print, I turn the mug round in the press and press again for about 60 secs, that usually cures it.

And as John says, try 180 secs

smitch6
22-04-2011, 03:06 PM
i had thought of doing that Kaz but wasn't sure if it would burn the rest of the image?

i often get the edges esp near the handle that are more faded and it's really annoying so this tip would be really handy and maybe another one of those facts for Justin section :)

Kaz
22-04-2011, 03:31 PM
I think it's just down to the blanket being cooler round the edges.

I've actually got into the habit of turning the mug half way through cooking time to ensure it doesn't happen again, lol

Lee
23-04-2011, 12:08 PM

These are the mugs so far.....I think this one is going to cost ME money :-\ Could thi be that the image quality was sent to me as 72dpi - internet quality, not print quality - although I did adjust it...

When you say turn the mug - how so? The DF1 closes around the handle space at the top - I cant understand how I could print it in a different position...

The cust wanted full wrap, I may have to reduce the size to show some white edges top and bottom and more near the handles, hopefully this might avoid the fade...?

Should I be refusing jobs that aren't at the right dpi - as my adverts state - and ask them to resend better images.... but I dont want to lose what little business Im currently picking up....!

Headache!

Paul
23-04-2011, 12:16 PM
first of all there is no such a thing like "adjusting image from 72dpi to 300dpi" you can change the settings but it wont impove image at all! if this would be so easy then photographers would not buy expensive cameras with lot of megapixels.

second. it all look like not enough pressure or I had similar when i printed on wrong side of sublimation paper. are you sure you printed on right side???

third:

Should I be refusing jobs that aren't at the right dpi - as my adverts state - and ask them to resend better images.... but I dont want to lose what little business Im currently picking up....!

I would not advertise till i master it a bit more. if you get customers and start to mess with the mugs etc... you may loose your reputation on start. so is good to practice first...

Lee
23-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks Paul - I'll try again - I have bumped up pressure already, and other mugs I have completed are fine - it just seems to be this image thats has been sent to me...which is why I was questioning quality of the image... The paper is loaded in the printer shinier side up - Im going to turn the top sheet over and try that!

Watch this space!

Lee
23-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting....now Ive turned the paper over to rougher side up in printer tray, the printed mage is a lot more vibrant on the paper..... before it prints quite dull.....now to press it....!

John G
23-04-2011, 12:26 PM
If your worried about the resolution this design could be replicated in coreldraw in a few minutes - it looks just like squares of colour to me.

Paul's got a point - why advertise when you cannot print mugs successfully yet - practice makes perfect, if you cannot do full wraps I wouldn't be advertising them!

bms
23-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Interesting....now Ive turned the paper over to rougher side up in printer tray, the printed mage is a lot more vibrant on the paper..... before it prints quite dull.....now to press it....!

Do you have the Ricoh printer? If so then the paper goes in the tray face DOWN so it prints on the brighter White side.

Kaz
23-04-2011, 12:52 PM
What I mean by turning the mug round is, if you start with the open end of the mug facing you, turn it so that the base of the mug is facing you.

Lee
23-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks all - problem solved!

Regards advertising - I have sold a few - no complaints - I would never send anything to anyone that didnt look good or the customer wasnt satisfied with..... I might be new to sublimation, but not to customer service ;-)

Thanks again for all your help :)

Paul
23-04-2011, 02:21 PM
problem solved? is this mean you printed on wrong side??

Lee
23-04-2011, 04:51 PM

The wrong side (I also discovered one of the kids had been using paper from that tray to draw on :-o !!!!!!) hence the wrong way round!

I adjusted the pressure - again...

I swopped the mug around half way through - great tip!