PDA

View Full Version : Fading of image at the edge

kalif
22-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Very new to the game. Pressed my first mugs today. Initially very happy with the results, but then noticed that the images were less strong and fading off towards the bottom half inch of the mug. I pressed 2 different designs - framed images not to the edge of the mug.

The top and middle parts of the mugs look great, so I'm wondering whether the base of the mug is taking longer to warm up due to there being more material? Has anyone else encountered this?

I guess another possibility (which I'd rather it wasn't) is that the press or heating element is in some way faulty. :(

dj_doubler
22-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi,

I have not yet pressed any mugs but I have read about this problem on other threads.... the bottom of the mug is thicker and takes longer to heat etc.. you can either put boiliing water in before you press which heats the mugs nicely (make sure its dry before you press) or depending on what mug press you have turn it upside down....

John G
22-04-2011, 09:55 PM
What's the time and temp your pressing at?

Justin
22-04-2011, 11:24 PM
What mugs are you using? Are they straight at the bottom? Put 2 mugs together and see how big the gap is around where the bases meet. You need a good press and higher pressure to allow for tapered mugs (if they are)

AJLA
23-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Will make a huge differnce if your mugs are not straight at the top and bottom. The only way you will overcome it is by reducing your image size or possibly as Justin has suggested slightly more pressure. Occasionally I have had to do mine the right way up for half the time and then turn it upside down for half the time as although my press has a new blanket it is not as good at the top as it is the bottom.
A good source of mug supplies will save you a lot of hassle.

hooperjaws
18-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Is there a mug supplier that you particularly recommend Ajla?

dj_doubler
18-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Is there a mug supplier that you particularly recommend Ajla?

Sorry to dive in on this but from my experience (only a couple of months) the best mugs I have personally used are the ones from BMS.... they for me give the best results and are faultless (so far)

logobear
18-06-2011, 10:50 PM
cooking time is longer for the bottom of a mug because the ceramic base sucks out heat. I don't know what cook times you are using,. but up it a bit....
If you over cook, the main part of the image will start to blurr as the image bleeds out, just experiment.
it can help to pre warm the base of your mugs, a bit of boiling water ? - especially if the mugs are cold.

dj_doubler
18-06-2011, 10:53 PM
The way I get around the fading on edges is put your mug in the press while it start going to idle temp... basicly heat the mug up... then put ur image on and continue as normal.... using this method I have not had any fades.... (apart from when I ajusted the preasure) :@

Lee
20-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I just make sure the wrap is taped nicely... I used to have a bit of fading but only when I tried to get too close to the handle... I dont usually print an image bigger that 210mm now and all is well!
(touch wood!)