PDA

View Full Version : Epson D120 EasyFlow

GoonerGary
27-04-2011, 01:07 AM
I have a 'new' D120 and a replacement set of carts and tubes for the Artanium Easy Flow system after problems with my previous set up.

I left the printer off for a few months, but now that I'm trying to set up the mugs again, I'm having problems.

I can't get one of the blacks to print.

So far I have:
Done the usual head cleans and left the printer overnight.
Used the tiny needle to try and draw ink through the black cart...bubbly air..no ink.

Checked for blockages by unscrewing the nuts at the easyflow system and used a syringe to draw ink from the ink well to the tubes....all ok

Tried drawing ink from the carts back down the tubes to the nuts - only air, but I don't have a tight fitting syringe to do this properly - tried modeller's tubing and the tiny syringe. There's obviously no ink in that black cart anyway but I'm hoping any possible blockage would have been cleared.

I put it all back together but I still can't draw black ink manually through the entire system using the tiny syringe.

It's a replacement system, so I don't understand why I can't get that black ink through.

If I can't do it manually I'll assume that replacing the chips won't help?

Any suggestions?

smitch6
27-04-2011, 08:09 AM
sounds like the head is blocked so it can't draw the ink through
get a proper head cleaning kit its a solution that you leave over night and it works great
lots of ppl on here have used it
and they are only around £10 off flebay

AJLA
27-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Definately get some cleaning solution it will always come in handy. Recently had the same problem, what a nightmare! Tried it all as you did Gary with no joy.
We have some cleaning fluid here for our Epson wide format printer so we used that overnight with the result that the next day we actually had ink coming through (Joy!) but with a lot of banding. I then popped a peice of heavy weight paper into printer and printed a large black circle, as the paper was going through printer I squirted window cleaning fluid onto paper, which i did twice and finally we have a printer that works.
Unfortunately now I am due to replace all of my cartridges with Artanium ink at a cost of..can't remember but it's a lot. Do I go for it and possibly have the same problem once again or replace the printer. Hmmmm:confused:

GoonerGary
27-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Where is the head? Is that the little nipple thing that meets the cartidges?

I use diluted household bleach with de-ionized water for head cleaning normally with a syringe, gently forcing that through the nipple. I haven't tried a 'power clean' yet, but will give it a go.

But if I can't get ink using the tiny needle from the top of the cartridge, surely my problem isn't the head?

bms
27-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Doesn't sound like the head (just yet).

Presumably from what your saying you have the ink system out of the printer trying to draw ink through. If so then put the syringe without needle in the base of the black cartridge and pull back. This should pull ink through so long as you have the syringe fully inside the cartridge. Or, with the cartridges in the printer you should be able to reprime by putting the needle in the top of the cart and pulling back. If you only get air by doing the latter or very bubbly ink then you copuld do with a new cart & tube assembly as this should resolve the problem.

Before getting a replacement cart & tube assembly it would be worthwhile making sure the printer still works so get a set of ordinary cartridges and put them in to make sure you can print perfectly. If so then you can move to getting the sublimation system working. If you can't get the printer to print with ordinary carts in then you'll be wasting your time trying to get it to work with sublimation inks (and very expensive in terms of wasting ink).

GoonerGary
27-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Hi, I was given a replacement set of cart and tubes so there shouldn't be a problem. I suppose I could try and buy an Epson starter cartridge and try that.

bms
28-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Just buy a cheap set of compatible cartridges. You should be able to get a full set for under £15

GoonerGary
05-05-2011, 04:22 PM
I've tried some compatible standard ink through the printer and everything is fine so that allowed me to pay attention to the easyflow. I unlocked the problem black tube and used a syringe the clear any blockages that may have been there.

For some strange reason, the other black ink chamber 'exploded' with ink as if some vacuum was created?

I put it back together and the problem black is printing but the other black no longer works! The cyan is refusing to print also.

I've read about people replacing the black ink chips, how is this done? Can I use the chips from the new replacement cartridges?

Could this be anything to do with blocked air filters on the easyflow?