PDA

View Full Version : photo on mug question

chongsta
14-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

Ok my first lot of mugs were logo based and had vibrant colours in them which gave exellent results, im well pleased.

Today I tried my first photo on a mug (a friends daughter). Hmmm, wasnt to impressed by the colours. They looked a little pale and washed out. I tried several variations like saturating the image more but not much better really.

Are there any things i should be doing for photos? Its going to be a huge part of my new year product push so i really need to nail this. Im open to experimentation but it seems im wasting mugs when i can get some sound advice from the pro's here ;)

Im using the Mug Press Pro on 400-410F at 5mins, dye sub paper on 'best photo' & 'Matt paper' settings.

Another question is this, do you guys convert your designs to CMYK in Photoshop or do you leave them RGB and let the printer sort out colours? Im using the Epson 1290, it has 5 colours, CMYK-LC,LM. I already have a wide format Roland printer and I always convert images to CMYK for printing, but im not used to using 5 colours on a desktop printer lol. beggar belief!

Many thanks all
Dave.

Paul
14-12-2009, 08:11 PM
first. 5 min is to long. after over coking mugs colors may change.
second. r u using artanium inks? do you have icc profile instaled?
you dont need to change saturation for your photos. best is leave them as they r if they good enough.