PDA

View Full Version : Oki 9650

Glenn73
05-05-2011, 02:39 AM
I bought an OKI 9650 A3 press back in Feb for my wedding stationary/ birth card business and asked oki if there were any other consumables I could use to help me expand the business and get the most out of the press, as I have seen on the forum Magic Touch was recommended so I have had a look at the website but to be honest Im totally lost, ie toner transfers and dye sub......whats the difference? what heat press do I buy ? I have just bought a mug press, sub paper and an epson s21, if I want to expand into t shirts, bibs , mousemats etc do i get toner or dye and what heat press would I get?
Any advice would be appreciated

John G
05-05-2011, 09:10 AM
You oki is a laser printer so it uses toner, not sub ink. If Magic Touch consumables go through this machine then you could use laser transfers for t'shirts etc. You would need to buy a flat bed press. either clam opening or swing away type.

You have bought a epson s21 - this you would use for sublimation ink with the correct CISS or carts. This can be used for mugs etc.

Glenn73
05-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Cheers John, is there a flat bed press for sub ink, and a different one for toner or are they all the same ?

draig
05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
A Flat Bed press can be used for both. Just remember to protect the base and top platen with either a teflon sheet or Greaseproof paper.

draig

John G
05-05-2011, 01:43 PM
The heat press is just a means to heat the sub ink or toner transfer to the correct temp - basically a glorified iron with a bit more pressure. Any heat press can be used for sub ink and toner transfers aslong as it heats up to the required temp. Times & temp will differ depending on what your pressing - your supplier will give you these times on request or they'll be on their website.

bms
05-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I bought an OKI 9650 A3 press back in Feb for my wedding stationary/ birth card business and asked oki if there were any other consumables I could use to help me expand the business and get the most out of the press, as I have seen on the forum Magic Touch was recommended so I have had a look at the website but to be honest Im totally lost, ie toner transfers and dye sub......whats the difference? what heat press do I buy ? I have just bought a mug press, sub paper and an epson s21, if I want to expand into t shirts, bibs , mousemats etc do i get toner or dye and what heat press would I get?
Any advice would be appreciated

First give TMT a call to make sure the Oki will use the TTC and OBM style papers. These are used for light and dark coloured fabrics. You will need a cutter if you are going to use the OBM material. TMT also sell CPM which is for ceramics and other hard surfaces so check if the Oki is suitable for that as well. There is a BIG difference in laser transfers and sublimation transfers so it would be worthwhile visiting a trade show or seeing a supplier to see the differences first hand.

A heat press for flat items or mugs is the same regardless of TMT laser or Sublimation.

You say you have the S21 - do you have sublimation ink for it yet? Just be wary about using this printer for sublimation. If you are a complete novice then read the forum for advice on this printer. It's not an officially supported printer but several on here use it.