PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning solutions

GoonerGary
06-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I'd like to discuss products people are using for successfully cleaning their print heads?

I use isopropyl alcohol mixed with distlilled water, but occasionaly use very diluted household bleach.

I'm always reading about Simple Green and came across this article:

http://www.jesseheap.com/dye-sublimation-clogged-heads.php

It can be bought directly from the company's UK website, but was wondering if anyone has tried this solution?

Also where can I buy ammonia?

Stitch Up
06-05-2011, 12:08 AM
I buy my ammonia from Boots - Household Ammonia - I'd like to purchase in larger quantities, anyone know a wholesale source?

There's been quite a lot of discussion about Simple Green on the T-Shirt Forum

GoonerGary
06-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Boots..cheers.

here is the link for Simple green in the UK:
http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/3/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,7/category_id,1/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,27/

Expensive postage though.

Matt Quinn
06-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Well... good to have this one centralised IMHO...

IPA was introduced to me way over 30 years ago as a young apprentice technician....

It was used then (as it's used now) as a general electronics and optical cleanser. Particularly for video head and other sensitive equipment.

Now; on another thread it was sugested IPA can affect rubber seals... Not doubting the poster's integrity or experience but that's really not my experience. IPA has been the solvent of choice on the rubber components of tape recorders for generations... And it's 'what you use' in the TV industry to degrease any contaminated rubber components...

In fact I recall some many years ago filming on oil rigs where the 'solvent atmosphere' was known to affect rubbers. - And IPA was the cleaning solvent advised. Personally I've even used it on gas-seals in welding equipment and compressors with no ill-effects...

Love to hear more about this one!

Ammonia can be had from most pharmacists - explain your needs and they'll get you a litre or two no problem; possibly even off the shelf! According to 'Stitch up' on the 'blocked again' thread Boots do it!

I've come across some real horrors though... think I've posted it before but I know one eijit who put cellulose thinners through his CIS! Melted it! And most of the rest of the printer! Acetone (nail varnish remover) is another wrecking fluid...

IPA - I get through loads of it! Use it on lenses, tape heads, circuit boards... You need to watch nowadays at it will remove water-based (acryllic) paint so not so good on cases... It takes the writing off!

There are more Hi-Tech solvents such as Vertrel which might have advantages... But most of the printer cleaning solutions I've seen seem to be some variation of IPA and Ammonia - possibly laced with a little coloured dye!

Stitch Up
06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Thanks for that.

I'm sure I have the ingredients to mix a similar product, it's just the ammonia I'm a little unsure of. I have IPA 99%, distilled water and ammonia from boots. All I need some guidance on is the proportions.

As far as IPA causing rubber seals to harden, I got that from reading many threads on TSF and from the guy who manufactures the Jet Genie.

John

GoonerGary
06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Will I get interrogated by the pharmacist when buying ammonia? I got the third degree when buying IPA and syringes! It's to unblock a printer...honestly....

Matt Quinn
06-05-2011, 12:46 AM
The usual solution you hear about for printers is 10% ammonia solution to 90% IPA John... You could pull that whole solution down with distilled water if you were worried.

I tend to get my IPA in 25L lots via ebay from 'ready reagents' ; might be worth seeing if they can source ammonia?

But the boots stuff should have a concentration on the bottle? I'd be tempted just to go by volume myself.

Matt Quinn
06-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Will I get interrogated by the pharmacist when buying ammonia? I got the third degree when buying IPA and syringes! It's to unblock a printer...honestly....

Yeah; they'll do that ... IPA is also used as a topical disinfectant. And it's a volatile solvent; they need to cover their backs.

Stitch Up
06-05-2011, 07:26 AM
Here you go, Boots Household Ammonia - £1.79 for 500ml 'off the shelf'.

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Household-ammonia-500ml_923908/

It has ammonia solution 9.5%. Maybe that means 90.5% water/9.5% Ammonia? I'm not sure! What I can say is, it smellsa very strong and when I have used it, it easily breaks down clogged inks!

So based on that info, what rpoportion would you mix the ingredients I have:

Ammonia solution 9.5%
IPA 99%
Distilled water

I want a solution I can use regularly for flushing the Dupont textile ink lines, dampers & printhead (Dupont textile inks are water based). Also to clean the capping station, wiper blade and rubber seals.

The other thing I've 'heard' about IPA is that it can delaminate the printhead so you can see why I'm cautious!!

John

GoonerGary
06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I've gleaned this info from another site:

-25 ml isopropyl alcohol
-3 ml glycerin or propylene glycol
-distilled water up to 100 ml
-1 small teaspoon of ammonia.

The glycerin prevents rapid evaporation of moisture inside the print heads during the head cleaning.

As for the ammonia, one head cleaner manufacturer claims that ammonia leaves a thin film on the heads and the self proclaimed pharmacist who shared the above recipe states that ammonia doesn't leave any residue.

Don't beathe in ammonia, wear a mask.
Never combine bleach and ammonia, vinegar, or any other acid because the fumes are deadly.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4793255_mix-ammonia-glass-cleaner.html

Another site suggests using compressed air through the print heads. Jessops should still sell cans of Kenair.

Matt Quinn
06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
You're not far off the recipie for Windex there Gary - less the potentially harmful colouring and perfume.

John,

I've obviously not used IPA on every type of printhead or electronic device out there... SO can't give a 100% guarantee sadly... But honestly; it's a pretty much universal solvent well known to most electronic engineers. I can't see how any device designed to have a solvent run through it (some inks ARE alcohol based!) can be 'delaminated' by IPA!

- Of course if someone would rather you spent £5 on the 50ml bottle of 'strange fluid' they have to sell rather than £5 for 500ml of perfectly bog-standard, tried-and-tested , perfectly ordinary industrial solvent I can see why such a rumour might be started.

Personally I've been using inkjets for various graphics/photographic techniques since the late 90's... We do all maintenance in-house... There are a couple of 1290's here that must have been flushed a dozen times each in the years we've had them they've had so many differnet inksets through them.

Not aware of any problems caused by anything other than simple fair wear and tear!

More generally - I'm afraid my knowledge of chemistry is insufficient to say whether Ammonia leaves a deposit or not... Take a lens-cleaning tissue and wipe some on an old filter you know to be already perfectly clean ...The deposits will soon show when it evaporates!

9.5% in solution means that this substance is 90.5% distilled water... Which is probably fine in the context. I'd see no harm in going for a 10:1 solution with IPA for printer cleaning...

GoonerGary
15-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Another product containing IPA and glycol

Wizz Glass & Mirror

http://www.bmsupplies.co.uk/images/document/Coshh/Wizz%20Glass%20And%20Mirror%20Spray.pdf

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/inkjet_cleaning.html

Stitch Up
15-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Well, I've purchased all the ingrediemts discussed above and I'll be making up a solution soon :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

GoonerGary
15-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Well, I've purchased all the ingrediemts discussed above and I'll be making up a solution soon :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

If only you could bottle that you'd make a fortune.

Stitch Up
15-05-2011, 09:47 PM
If only you could bottle that you'd make a fortune.

You're right there, the ingredients are very cheap and I'll be able to make quite a lot :) Just need to get the ammonia content right.