PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Photos

Justin
08-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Something I'm sure we all get given very regularly, a standard sized photo, 6x4 maybe and the customer wants it wrapped all the way around a mug. We have to explain about the aspect ratio blah blah blah.

I'm about to get out there and take a few shots of my own (Providing a get a decent camera) and wondered about panoramic photos. Could a camera be set to take shots the correct ratio to print onto a mug? Would a panoramic stitch facility work for this?

My knowledge of photography/cameras is very limited but I wondered if a wide angle lens would do this?

phoenixalpha
08-05-2011, 01:02 PM
there are several cameras which have panoramic settings as normal (lots of fujis do) but the best way would be just to include lots of space around your target and crop accordingly. Most modern cameras have enough resolution to provide a good reproduction if you leave lots of space top and bottom in your shot.

Justin
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
That's pretty much what I do right now, I just wish all my customers did the same! I find using Photoshop to zoom rather than my crappy little camera is also better.

Matt Quinn
08-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Get a tripod... Preferably one with a spirit level and some sort of 'graduations' (ideally in degrees) around the head...

Take a picture, pan round by slightly less that the field covered by your lens (this is where the graduations help) ,take another... And so on...

Stitch together in Photoshop! Crop to taste... And voila!

Justin
08-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I see many of the new cameras have the autostitch built in, would this be as good?

Matt Quinn
08-05-2011, 01:29 PM
I see many of the new cameras have the autostitch built in, would this be as good?

Maybe... I don't use a compact for anything other than family snapshots. And to me all these 'novelties' detract from the function of the camera; but then they're built for the domestic market... I'd sooner pay £500 for something with good optics and minimal 'toys' than £200 for all the bells and whistles and indifferent performance... I possibly have a different set of priorities and standards from most users so maybe am the wrong person to comment...

I've yet to see any of these 'trick shot' features work as well as what can be done manually.

Justin
08-05-2011, 01:30 PM
This feature was on quite expensive cameras, I know someone who uses it on an SLR so I'll see if I can get a sample. I agree though, I'd sooner get a great quality picture that I can work with in Photoshop.

Paul Richards
08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Justin Just take several shots using the camera in portrait position. Make sure they overlap by 20% put the images into Photoshop choose File, Automate photomerge and Auto set up then crop to suit. CS5 as been improved to make Panos better.

smitch6
09-05-2011, 06:56 AM
wow you learn something new every day :)