PDA

View Full Version : Mug Press Virgin!!!

thefellow
12-05-2011, 11:00 PM
Hi there
im wanting to start a very small business
tight budget is ''New Tigger'' Sublimation press,and the Canon Selphy CP-800 Sublimation printer of a good standard

Many Thanks

mgibbs
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Welcome to the forum

Mark

dj_doubler
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Hi there
tight budget is ''New Tigger'' Sublimation press,and the Canon Selphy CP-800 Sublimation printer of a good standard

Many Thanks

I have heard bad things about the press you mention from another forum user... how about this one @thefellow its being sold by one of the admins...

http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?2409-Mug-press-for-11oz-mugs

Anthony

Paul
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
you wont print many mugs with this printer...

dj_doubler
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Hi there

Many Thanks

@thefellow - If you dont mind us asking what is ur budget and we might be able to help a little bit better :0)

Paul
12-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi there

Many Thanks
is this what you want to buy or is it something that you already got??

thefellow
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Hello again guys

not bought anything yet!!!!

could i get a presser and printer for no more than £200???

Thanks for your help guys

Paul
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
yes you could. but you still need sublimation inks. printer from your first post is not sublimation printer for mugs etc... this is termal printer for printing photos on paper.

thefellow
12-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Thankyou Paul

what would you recommend???

dj_doubler
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Hello again guys

not bought anything yet!!!!

Thanks for your help guys

You may be able to pick up something second hand at a push... but remember you will need the following

Subi Ink £100+
Paper £10
Mugs £40
Heat Tape £8

then software cost if you dont already have it?

Paul
12-05-2011, 11:44 PM
i dont know to be honest :)
for £200??? I would get 2hand mug press and I know there is some people who are getting fantastic results with epson s21. then you need sublimation ink and some ciss or reffilable carts. ink is most expensive from this lot :)

I dont want to be cheeky but I may have printer for sale soon too ;)

epson R285 with carts and ink ;)

thefellow
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok not so good!!!!
Thankyou for your help

Kaz
13-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Anthony, you forgot mug mailers ;-)

dj_doubler
13-05-2011, 12:05 AM
oh yeah... mine arrived the other day aswell £40 on your 100pc mug mailers :-)

dj_doubler
13-05-2011, 12:07 AM
@thefellows - I was going in with a budget like yours and after reading almost every thread on the forum I went against it and bought a business start up from BMS which cost £540 in total but that gets everything... and in the long run well worth doing it... everything is brand new and there is enough there to get you going.. (or not in my case) but I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"

Anthony

p.s have a chat with Paul - he will sort you a setup out

thefellow
13-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks dj,very helpful

Hi paul,can you email me with what i should get to get me started

Thankyou once again

JSR
13-05-2011, 12:40 AM
the Canon Selphy CP-800 Sublimation printer of a good standard
It's worth reading up on dye-sublimation before you spend any money.

Any printer that's specifically called a "dye-sub" printer is not the type of printer you use for printing mugs. There is no printer that's been specifically designed to use dye-sublimation inks of the type used for mug printing.

Printers such as the Canon Selphy that you've mentioned use the dye-sub method for printing photos (the ink is sublimated to the paper). To print to mugs, ink needs to be printed to a transfer sheet without it undergoing the sublimation process. The sublimation process occurs under heat in a heat press when the transfer is attached to a substrate (like a mug).

It's a bit confusing because they both use the term "dye-sub", but it's easy to remember if you take into account that there is no printer specifically designed for the ink we use to press to mugs. What you need is a printer that can be used with the dye-sublimation ink that we use.

Some printers are "officially supported" by the dye-sublimation ink manufacturer (which means you're supplied with a colour correction ICC profile). Other printers can be used with the dye-sublimation ink, if you have your own colour correction profile made.

Dye-sublimation ink cannot be used in a printer that uses a thermal printhead (such as HP, Canon, Kodak, Lexmark, Dell, etc) because the heat in the printhead would prematurely activate the sublimation process. The ink can only be used in a printer with micro-piezo printhead (Epson, Brother, or Ricoh) because these printheads use a electricity-crystal process to print which remains cool.

Make sure you do your research before you part with your money. If you don't want to do the research then do as suggested here and buy a "package" from one of the reputable resellers of dye-sublimation ink so that you have everything that you need in the same box.

thefellow
13-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Thankyou for your help

thefellow
13-05-2011, 11:22 PM
@thefellows - I was going in with a budget like yours and after reading almost every thread on the forum I went against it and bought a business start up from BMS which cost £540 in total but that gets everything... and in the long run well worth doing it... everything is brand new and there is enough there to get you going.. (or not in my case) but I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"

Anthony

Hi there do u have a link,have been thinking about it,deffo going to have a go !!!

dj_doubler
13-05-2011, 11:45 PM
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/hardware-equipment/230/mug-press-startup-business-package.htm

use the drop down menu on the right hand side - the one I bought was the DF1 mug press with the GXe3300 printer.

boristrump
06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Canon Selphy CP-800 Sublimation printer Isn't for Printing onto Mugs! Don't get yourself confused Just because Canon Branded it Sublimation Printer! you really do need to do more research on sublimation process for example google visit more sublimation forums or read more post on this forum you will get more help here from really good experts here all you need to do is ask!
Hi there

Many Thanks

John G
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Selphy is a photo printer to print glossy type photo cards - I doubt whether you'd get any luck using this printer.