PDA

View Full Version : printing close to the handle

SJL
14-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I have tried printing a few mugs but the ink tends to fade within about and inch of each side of the handle and cant print anything tight against the handle due the the press not making contact with the mug, is there anything i could do to print tight to the handle or do you get a press that will go right up to the handle? the press i have is and xpress1000 and im using bms european mugs.

Thanks
Steve

John G
14-05-2011, 01:36 PM
try more pressure but if the blanket doesn't go tight to the handle then it won't work.

SJL
14-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks, do you know if i can get a bigger blanket for my press? or where i would be best to look for one? i'm really new to this so dont even know if its possible to print tight to the handle

Thanks

John G
14-05-2011, 02:10 PM
I've never been able to get close to the handle - maybe a wrap around clamp style blanket with a mug oven would be better.

SJL
14-05-2011, 02:20 PM
i will look into that

Thanks

smitch6
14-05-2011, 02:50 PM
my press goes within 1/2" of the handle and i still can't get it to go right up to it
i have to leave a good 1/2" either side of the handle
as you says it's annoying but one of them things

i did see a post somewhere about someone having a blanket that went under the handle
i think it may have been the press that was one for charity the other month not sure.

but i did wonder how well it works would be good to hear back about anyone who has tried using one

Justin
14-05-2011, 03:30 PM
You;ll never get right up to the handle unless you use a special wrap where the handle holes are cut out....very messy business form what I've seen and results are poor. Most users, myself included, accept the limitation and work with it, sometimes adding a small blank border at the top and bottom of your design rather than full wrapping can look better.

Andrew
14-05-2011, 03:32 PM
22cm is usually the max for a decent press but still not an easy print. As mentioned, tight prints are more suited to an oven as you get the same heat over the full print area.

JSR
14-05-2011, 04:17 PM
sometimes adding a small blank border at the top and bottom of your design rather than full wrapping can look better.
That's what I do with mine.

I've always felt that if you print right to the top and bottom and you can't print to the handle, then it looks like you can't print to the handle because you've bought cheap. If you leave a white border around all four sides of the image, then it looks like a design decision.

But that's just me...

Lee
14-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I wasted a good few mugs trying to print 22cm...now i print a max 21, and havent wasted a single mug since ;-)

dj_doubler
14-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I print from top to bottom leaving the smallest white edge around the top... and full colour from the bottom... not to bothered about the handles as long as it looks nice and streight...