PDA

View Full Version : Printed My First Mugs

Daveb
16-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi! Just printed my first half a dozen mugs. Very happy with results, although there were some variations although I didn't change any settings for time, temp or pressure. I suspect these slight variations are because the mugs are not 100% true and uniform.

Just as a rule of thumb, can anyone list the most likely problems/fixes for a mug printing beginner?

For example, near the very top and bottom of a full mug print there is sometimes a little bit clouding or smudging. Is this time to increase/decrease pressure, or increase/decrease temp, or increase/decrease timing?

Another is that the blacks are not always as black near the top and bottom.

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Mattie
16-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi
If we are printing a full mug wrap top to bottom we find it works best if you pour about half a mug of boiling water in then let it sit for a while, then pour out the water and dry (make sure completly dry and no water on outside) then put your design on and press.

Lee
16-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I found swopping the mug around half through sorted everything out...

Daveb
16-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi
If we are printing a full mug wrap top to bottom we find it works best if you pour about half a mug of boiling water in then let it sit for a while, then pour out the water and dry (make sure completly dry and no water on outside) then put your design on and press.
Alligiftor, Thanks for that - means I have to print another mug.

Im still looking for any general rules though for changing time versus temp versus pressure. What are the tell tale signs for when you should change one of these settings, and in which direction?

Part of my test print has small white text on a black background in the middle of the mug. On 2 prints, same image, same settings, one came out with the text white and the other with it grey. I'm thinking that this might be because of small variations in mug diameter and sides that are not straight - so increasing the pressure would help?

Dave

Daveb
16-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I found swopping the mug around half through sorted everything out...
TPM, Thanks. I had wondered whether putting the mug in upside down would make any difference. Would taking the mug out halfway through upset the countdown timer? Dave

mgibbs
16-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Its certainly worth, in my opinion, using good quality blanks so you get a high quality, consistent finish.

You'll find that if the mugs aren't straight your image will be slightly curved. This is most noticeable when you have a rectangular image that extends near the top or bottom of the mug.

Mark

Kaz
16-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Dave, I change mine half way through, I do it really quickly, takes about 5 seconds, if that, you could set your timer for 5 seconds more to be on the safe side, or however long it takes you to turn it round

Daveb
16-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Its certainly worth, in my opinion, using good quality blanks so you get a high quality, consistent finish.

You'll find that if the mugs aren't straight your image will be slightly curved. This is most noticeable when you have a rectangular image that extends near the top or bottom of the mug.

Mark

Mark, It's my first box of mugs, so I'm not sure, are slight variations not the norm? We are talking maybe 1mm variations. I thought the extra pressure would maybe compensate for that? Dave

Daveb
16-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Dave, I change mine half way through, I do it really quickly, takes about 5 seconds, if that, you could set your timer for 5 seconds more to be on the safe side, or however long it takes you to turn it round
Kaz, I was wondering if it would reset the timer. My press timer starts counting down after it reaches the set temp (185C) - I've never taken a mug out halfway through, easy enough to find out I suppose ;o)

Kaz
16-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Hmmm, not sure about that, my mug press is part of a combi and the timer only works on the flat bed section, not on the attachments

John G
16-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Faded, or brown blacks, could be not enough time, too much time, or it could be pressure. Saying that its near top, bottom or handles i'd say pressure.

Times - 180 degrees @ 180 seconds and crank up the pressure a bit - try at these settings and do a test mug.

Lee
16-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Mine counts down from 180 and when it hits 115 i unclamp, swop the mug and close the clamp, takes about 5 secs...I dont have to alter the timer at all, it just continues to countdown...

Daveb
16-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Faded, or brown blacks, could be not enough time, too much time, or it could be pressure. Saying that its near top, bottom or handles i'd say pressure.

Times - 180 degrees @ 180 seconds and crank up the pressure a bit - try at these settings and do a test mug.

John,
I upped the pressure a bit, and it seems OK. I'll probably leave a bit of a gap top and bottom and avoid the problem in the future. Interesting on temps and timing. I'm using 185 degrees and 60 secs, as recommended by a longer time user with the same set up. I am using Mug King press, Cobra ink and paper from USA. Perhaps I should try one at 180C and 180 secs to see what happens.
Dave

Kaz
16-05-2011, 09:57 PM
60 seconds isn't long enough for a mug, you need about 180 secs

Daveb
16-05-2011, 10:15 PM
60 seconds isn't long enough for a mug, you need about 180 secs
Kaz,
I was wondering with all the talk of 180 secs. The 60 secs was suggested by people using the same inks. I have though contacted the supplier to check what they recommend.

The results look OK. I have a mug in the dishwasher that has been through a couple of cycles - looks fine so far.
Dave

dj_doubler
20-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I find putting the mug in the press while your launching to idle temp will heat the mug enough to get a good "full mug wrap" and you can handle it without burning your fingers :-)