PDA

View Full Version : Laptop covers

pesketta
17-05-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm having problems printing laptop covers. When pressing the laptop cover expands with the heat and I get two images overlapping each other. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do as they are quite expensive to keep wasting. Thanks

Scotty@BMS
17-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Ok, a little clarification would be good here. What pressure do you have? I crank it up until my biceps a bulging at the seams when I close the press!

Kaz
17-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Are you using heat tape to keep the image in place as it sounds like ghosting which happens when the paper moves slightly

bms
17-05-2011, 10:47 PM
We tend to have a good 5mm blead around the edges as the pouches can 'spread' a little under pressure. So long as you come down firm and hard then this should avoid any ghosting.

pesketta
17-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Ok, a little clarification would be good here. What pressure do you have? I crank it up until my biceps a bulging at the seams when I close the press!
i do the pressure as hard as i can, the hardest the heat press can do

pesketta
17-05-2011, 11:36 PM
yup using heat tape, it is ghosting as had that before, but cannot stop it with these for some reason

pesketta
17-05-2011, 11:37 PM
sorry what do you mean about the 5mm bleed????

AdamB
17-05-2011, 11:46 PM
sorry what do you mean about the 5mm bleed????

make the printed image larger than the thing your trying to put it on ..................... the image will overlap the item that way to ensure full coverage :-)

gstk
17-05-2011, 11:58 PM
We definately tape them and press them as hard as possible, in fact my wife wont do them because of the failures. Since taping them and pressing hard we havent lost one.

pesketta
18-05-2011, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=AdamB;23087]make the printed image larger than the thing your trying to put it on ..................... the image will overlap the item that way to ensure full coverage :-)

yea know what you mean now, but this wont make any difference if you are only printing in the middle of the item with a white border.

I tape the paper and press as hard as possible for 50 secs, but everyone comes out with double images.
Can the laptop cover take extra heat with less time?

AdamB
18-05-2011, 11:42 AM
yea know what you mean now, but this wont make any difference if you are only printing in the middle of the item with a white border.

I tape the paper and press as hard as possible for 50 secs, but everyone comes out with double images.
Can the laptop cover take extra heat with less time?What about getting a piece of cardboard the same size as the cover and wrapping it in a t-shirt so it has a flat base and bottom (this is to fill the lap top cover out whilst pressing).

I've never pressed them but it's an idea?

gstk
18-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Do you remove the paper IMMEDIATELY? We found that if you let them cool the item shrinks and can due to the heat still infuse ink. We literally rip it off as we take it from the press.

pesketta
18-05-2011, 06:12 PM
we,ve tried that too and we also take the paper off straight away. just cannot see a way round this at all. shame as when you do get the odd one that goes right it sells straight away.
i now tart them up with permanant marker pen on the ones that i can, but cant do that with all of them.

pesketta
18-05-2011, 06:15 PM
hi, what temp do you do them at and for how long. we are going to give it a go later. as most of my stuff has an outline of black i am now going over the ghost part with a black permanant marker pen but it can make them look a bit odd, some are okay but not a good solution to use all the time.