PDA

View Full Version : Oh Heck!......When things go not quite as planned

Ian M
18-05-2011, 08:16 PM
I think I'm having one of those weeks when almost everything I touch goes badly wrong.

In fact it started just over a week ago when a squirrel decided to make my loft as its home, ever heard a squirrel trying to rearrange the inside of your roof at around 4am in the morning? I read that squirrels don't like the smell of moth balls so, threw a load up into the loft when it wasn't looking. It now sounds like this squirrel if a footy fan & is now playing football with the said moth balls. I have read a lot of items now about grey squirrels & I'm fast becoming an expert on these cute looking evil little creatures. Today I had a pest control man come & deal with the little pest & we got the ladder upto the loft hatch & he has now put a live trap in the loft so we can soon be rid of Mr Nutkins for good. Only problem is the entry to the loft is in the room where I do my sublimation work & on his way down he managed to catch his foot on the CIS system to my printer & it finished up on the floor. It does look like I was quick enough to catch it just in time as it hit the floor & fingers crossed should be working ok now. Oh by the way it is £72 to catch a squirrel & worth every penny in my book just to have a decent nights sleep once again.

This morning I had to post some mugs off which I did first thing. Now one of the packages had 2 mugs in for a charity event for a nature reserve which I said I would donate plus a few other little goodies too. I had 2 other mugs which are samples for a football club at home as they don't need to see them until Friday. Now this is the best bit, on a Wednesday afternoon I get to entertain my cousins 20 month old little girl who is going on 35 years old. She wanted to see what was in the 2 white boxes & so I opened one of the boxes up & quickly realised the 2 football club sample mugs were now winging their way to a nature reserve. Mt 20 month old great cousin started laughing at me & said 'that's funny' & she is now calling me Ian the silly billy.

On top of this I got a letter from Revenue & Customs asking me to send them my life history since the 1st January. They want all bank statements from all bank accounts be they business & personal. They want copies of all adverts I have placed anywhere. Details of any websites I have. They also want original invoices I have sent to customers so, means I have to try to get customers to send me back all invoices I have sent them. They want my diary which should show all appointments with anyone I have had dealings with. They also want another diary that I should have which lists every hour of every day as we are supposed to write down everything we do whilst working in our own business. I called the number on the letter & got through to Mr Nasty who had sent the letter & he said he would let me send copy invoices but, I still had to send everything else as originals. I asked about the work diary & he said that if I can't send that it only proves that I'm not organised at all as we all should plan our working week ahead on a Sunday before. I asked what it was all about & why he needed all this information & it is to see if I really do qualify for £25 per week working tax credits. If I don't send everything he asked for by next Monday morning he will cancel the working tax credits & back date it to when I decided to become self employed. I said to him I might as well just wind the business up & go sign on & he said if I did that I still would have to pay every penny back. I told him I was trying to find a part time job & again he said I would have to pay all the money back. In fact I'm in a no win situation with them so, be warned.

The best bit is I have a couple who live next door to me & their children who are all grown adults with partners & kids in fact there are 8 adults who are all on benefits. They can all sit in their back garden next door drink loads of alcohol smoke loads of cigs, in fact they all drink & smoke like it's going out of fashion. They all have holidays abroad, all have new cars & everything else yo can think of. In fact my other neighbour who works for revenue & Customs said he knows that each of the households get on average £600 per week at a rough guess.

It's only Wednesday I might stop in bed for the rest of the week.....oh no I can't as the squirrel makes too much noise. :biggrin:

Paul
18-05-2011, 08:24 PM
blimey! not good time for you at all!

regards to ppl on benefits.
is same here, next door to me. I got to sweat my b****off to get some money and they just loughin at you. every day they see me in my work uniform their look at me like I do something wrong!!! well. maybe. I propobly stole their job... :(

mrs maggot
18-05-2011, 09:43 PM
i had to give up working full time in a very well paid job over a year ago, i had to have two knee operations and could not drive the mileage i did before, i received sick pay from the gov until i went for one of those appraisal things, and was told i would not get it anymore, i explained i was having a further 2 operations on my knees, and that i would be un-employable for around 12 weeks, i was told on the phone that as i was only having day surgery (thats all a knee takes) and worse still it was via BUPA which i still received from my old company - i would not be elligiable for any sick pay. i queried this recently, as we had a very hard few months, before i bit the bullet and registered self employed, and was told that what i was told was not true, but it cant be back dated, as there is no way of proving that i was just too lazy to claim !!!! i have told them the date i called, and the operator number i spoke to, but still nothing, and worse still i cant reclaim any overpayment of tax apparently either - you either know how to work the system and do, or you are confused and berated for not understanding it. i have claimed nothing from no one for over 9 months now, i still have problem walking, and standing, but hey at least at the moment i am not paying any tax

David B
19-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Wow and I thought I was having a bad day. They seem to pick on us northeners. Hope your day gets better.

John G
19-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Best of luck getting your problem sorted - hope they see sense and start going for the real dodgers.

Anyway - who the hell keeps diaries of their working week - I've never done this and don't intend too - its all in my head, or on the puter. It seems fishy too as I've never heard of them asking for originals that you sent to the customer - for a start the recipient needs to hold onto these for their vat/tax records and would never send them back.

Hope you get it sorted quickly as these things tend to drag on a bit!

Ian M
19-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone & so nice when you have understanding friends such as yourselves.

I have now got all the paper work they want plus a lot more & I can tell you it will make one almighty thump when it hits his desk.

The work diary is a joke to be honest & everyone I have spoken to who has a business said they don't keep one & never would. I just can't understand why they are doing this to me as I would never ask for anything I think I wouldn't be allowed to claim. I was working out that when I was an engineer many years ago over a 5 year period I paid around £60,000 in income tax alone.

Now see if anyone can answer this question a friend sent me Why does a 'slight tax increase' cost you £200 and a 'substantial tax cut' save you 30p?

GoonerGary
25-05-2011, 01:15 PM
A work diary?? Don't include time on this forum, they might knock off a few credits :)

Ian M
25-05-2011, 08:48 PM
I've had 2 builders working all day to fix the damage to the roof that has been caused by the squirrel. To give you some idea how destructive one squirrel can be we are already into around £1,000 worth of damage & they haven't finished yet. The squirrel has managed to destroy quite a few of the roof lats which hold the slates onto the roof. On top of this they have also managed to chew through parts of the guttering too. I have to admit I always thought that squirrels were cute little creatures but not any more.

Ian M
01-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I've just caught the squirrel doing all the damage to our roof.........wooooooo hooooooo.........it's still alive in a live trap & will be transported to the woods in the morning.........good times but not for Mr Nutkins :biggrin:

John G
01-06-2011, 09:12 PM
it's still alive in a live trap & will be transported to the woods in the morning.

Then shot :wink:

Ian M
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Then shot :wink:

lol..........tempting mate.

Paul
01-06-2011, 10:25 PM
dont forget to blind her:) as she may remember way back lol :)

John G
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
dont forget to blind her now that is hilarious:biggrin:

Kaz
01-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Was going to say something similar to Paul.

I know that if you get a mouse in the house and you don't want to kill it, you're advised to take it at least 2 miles from your house to save it finding it's way back, might be the same with squirrels

accdave
01-06-2011, 10:49 PM
This will stop it coming back :)

Braised "acorn-fed" grey squirrel with roasted loin and squirrel pie, garlic mash

We get squirrel from a supplier in the West Country, where they are trapped primarily at this time of year to protect songbird eggs. The furs are made into hats and gloves, while the tails are made into flies for fly fishing. Public reaction has been mainly positive, although there will always be some who don't fully understand the reasoning behind dishes like this. But I am keen on reviving forgotten traditional English dishes, and everyone who has eaten the squirrel has enjoyed it.

Ingredients
(Serves four)

4 squirrels
1 carrot
1 onion
1/2 bunch thyme
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 litre brown chicken stock
Salt
Pepper
4 bacon rashers
250g puff pastry
1 egg
250g redcurrant jelly
600g potatoes, mashed
150g wild garlic leaves
50g breadcrumbs

Method
Remove the legs from the squirrel and place in a baking dish. Roughly chop the carrot, onion and garlic and place in the dish with the legs. Add the thyme and bay leaves, pour over the chicken stock, season and cook at 135°C for about 31/2 hours or until tender.

Meanwhile, separate the belly from the loin and the kidneys and liver. Discard the rest of the innards. Cut the ribcage away with a pair of scissors to leave a neat loin. Wrap the loin in bacon. I prefer to use sweet-cure streaky bacon.

When the legs are cooked, separate the hind legs from the smaller fore legs. Flake the meat off the front legs and reserve it for the pie.

Mince the livers, kidneys and bellies and season with salt and pepper. Add the flaked meat and breadcrumbs and make into four small pies using the puff pastry. Glaze the pie with the egg, and bake for 12 minutes at 175°C. Seal the loin in a hot pan and roast in the oven for eight minutes.

Strain off the cooking liquor and reduce with the redcurrant jelly until a thick sauce is obtained. Heat up the mash and add the wild garlic. Place a small spoonful of the mash on the plate and lay the two hind legs over it. Cut the loin in two and place on the mash. Generously spoon over the rich sauce and finish with the golden pie placed just in front of the mash.

Craig James, head chef, Butlers Wharf Chop House

Paul
01-06-2011, 11:02 PM
you dont realy eat sqeirrel in this country do you (?)

John G
02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I would, it'll taste like chicken anyway :wink:

Paul
02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
lol. You are winding me up now lol!

accdave
02-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I would, it'll taste like chicken anyway :wink:

With a slightly nutty texture :)

John G
02-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Roasted squirrel nuts mmmm! :rolleyes::wink:

John G
02-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Honest - I would try it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jul/29/squirrel-meat-supermarket

Not the nuts though!

Paul
02-06-2011, 12:11 PM
blimey! And people say that polish eat strange food! ;)

Ian M
02-06-2011, 07:11 PM
you dont realy eat sqeirrel in this country do you (?)

People do eat squirrel in this country Paul & was just the other week on TV someone who trapped squirrels was eating squirrel pie. I don't think I would fancy it to be honest as they look too much like rats with a bushy tail.

He's now gone to the woods many miles away where there are no houses but, maybe lots of other new friends for him to terrorise.

I also found out that a grey squirrel has to eat around 40% of their body weight per day because of all the energy they burn up. Could you imagine what us humans would look like if we had to eat that amount of food per day.

I'm now enjoying the peace & quiet at long last & looking forward to tomorrow morning where I won't be woken up at first light by that pesky little evil rodent.

Paul
02-06-2011, 08:09 PM
lol :) it is rat with fluffy tail! thats why we all call them tree rats :)
We have loads of them in poland. but ginger ones. and they nice and friendly. I dont think any one even think to eat one of them. I just mentioned to my wife about sunday lunch next weekend. she knock her head with finger and asked me if I am mad :)

Ian M
02-06-2011, 08:37 PM
lol :) it is rat with fluffy tail! thats why we all call them tree rats :)
We have loads of them in poland. but ginger ones. and they nice and friendly. I dont think any one even think to eat one of them. I just mentioned to my wife about sunday lunch next weekend. she knock her head with finger and asked me if I am mad :)

Nice one Paul & would have loved to seen your wife doing & saying that to you........lol.

The ginger ones are red squirrels & are no problem at all. In fact the red squirrel is our native squirrel here & they don't bother anyone at all. It's the grey squirrels that are the problem not only here but also in North America as they are classed as vermin both here & in North America. In fact to give you some idea how fast they breed all the ones we have over here are from just 2 pairs which some idiot brought over from North America in the mid 19th century. Grey squirels kill red squirrels & will even eat them but, the good news is that the red squirrels can live in pine forests with ease but the grey squirrels can't because there isn't enough food for them.

I do think your description of them is better as they are tree rats more than anything else.

I was told today by the pest control man that a couple of grey squirrels got into the roof of an office block in Leeds & they managed to chew through most of the wires in the roof. The company has just had a repair bill of nearly £15,000 to rewire the building. I thought the bill for repairing my roof was bad enough.

Ian M
08-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I thought I would give you all an update on the Revenue & Customs part of my post.

As you can see from when I first posted this it has now been nearly 2 months since I sent them all the information they demanded from me. I haven't heard a damn thing from them since let alone they posting back to me all my bank statements & invoices etc. So, this morning I thought I would give them a ring to find out why it was taking so long & also to see if they did receive all the items they demanded from me. I got Mr Nasty again & he said it will be another 2 to 3 weeks before he gets round to looking at all my items as he is taking his time over every case he is investigating. This is the same Mr Nasty who called me one evening & told me I had 48 hours to send all the items he demanded from me. If I ever come face to face with this person I won't be in business anymore as I don't think you can do dye sublimation from a prison cell.

Just wish I could be rid of him in the same way as I was rid of that damn squirrel..........Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Paul
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
If I ever come face to face with this person I won't be in business anymore as I don't think you can do dye sublimation from a prison cell.

this is just classic!!! i burst my tee on my monitor so you own me cleaning my friend lol :cool:

David B
08-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I would send all the details to the News of The World and ask them to investigate this fine upstanding citizen who thinks he his important.

smitch6
09-07-2011, 07:40 AM
better get all the info in before sunday :P

Stitch Up
09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
better get all the info in before sunday :P

It'll be The Sun on Sunday after that!

Ian M
09-07-2011, 04:24 PM
this is just classic!!! i burst my tee on my monitor so you own me cleaning my friend lol :cool:

lol.........sorry Paul but, you have to talk to this Mr Nasty to really appreciate how nasty he really is to speak to.

Ian M
09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I would send all the details to the News of The World and ask them to investigate this fine upstanding citizen who thinks he his important.

Thing is David he is important in a way because if he decides against me he'll bankrupt me as they'll demand I pay all the working tax credits back from day one.

Ian M
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Steve, I just don't want to rock the boat with this person as he is the type who would make life very difficult for you if you upset him. He really is the old school taxman & I thought about sending a sense of humour but would be just a waste on him. I think he failed at the charm school he went to & has been holding a grudge with the human race ever since.

Ian M
09-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Wonder if they'll be using the same hard drives that the News of the World used? I'd make it a broadsheet as opposed to a tabloid as page 3 would have more impact.

David B
09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi Ian
Yes i understand what you say. I was just being flipant with the NOTW situation. Good luck

jennywren
09-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Steve, I just don't want to rock the boat with this person as he is the type who would make life very difficult for you if you upset him. He really is the old school taxman & I thought about sending a sense of humour but would be just a waste on him. I think he failed at the charm school he went to & has been holding a grudge with the human race ever since.

I can speak from experience I was a random pull for tax man, they are like dogs hanging on to a bone, ask questions that you never belive or expect, one was do I have any money tuck away. I thought he meant bank or building society. But he meant cash stashed on the quiet, I felt like saying hidden in my knickers drawer, good job I didn't because it literal mean hidden stash, If I had said that I sure to this day he'd would have rifled through them. He even said they could do the next interview at my house, i told him no and he asked why did i have something to hide. I replied if you come I'll have to clean the house top to bottom before he came, (its a women thing ) and being self employed I had no hours left in the day to do a big clean and that would stress me more that the investigations and I was stressed enough and that's the truth of it, but they did look out the window to see what sort of car you drive and clothes you wear, I wish you all the best for your turn, best thing is go in answer all the questions, even the silly ones and be thankful you get out alive. They say they have to find something
and for me it was 300 pounds for claiming for parking which I was not entitled too. Apart from the invesgations i have found the tax office quite helpful.

Ian M
09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
I know what you mean Jenny as a friend of mine who has quite a few successful businesses made a sarcastic remark during an interview with the tax people. They then told him they wanted every piece of paper from the last 5 years & it took him 3 trips in his Range-Rover full of boxes. He said they went through everything & made him really sweat it out. He thought he was just being funny with what he said just to ease the tension a bit.

I remember reading about the late Scottish F1 World Champion Jim Clark when he became a tax exile in France in the mid 1960's. He was killed early in 1968 but, the tax people were still investigating him for tax evasion some 3 years after his death. Just shows your not even safe from them when your in your grave.

jennywren
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
i had to hand over 7 years paperwork most of the earlier receipts was so faded that you could not see who it was from or for what, when questioned i looked guilty as sin as I was ehh and ahhre and could not remember what it was for, look for the ledger that was faded it was a bloody nightmare. They ask you about what you buy, what your food cost, how many holidays, i don't do holidays no time, it went on and on and I'm sure I gave some pretty crap answers. like don't know, can't remember and my daughter stored her wedding cake up in the attic and we had mice who had nestled in the boxes and eaten and shredded tons of paper work,( you can imagine 7 years paperwork ) still it was better than the dog eat it lol. ,they keep the paperwork for weeks and then we went back for the second grilling, then off we went and went back a third time where they gave me the bill and a long long lecture on what i did wrong, it was so stressful I forgotten what I did wrong.

Ian M
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, just got the call from Mr Nasty at the Revenue & Customs & he has just managed to close my business with his decision. I now have to pay every penny back of the working tax credits I was receiving from day one which is just about 3 years worth. This now means I won't have any working capital to buy stock etc.

Just to make you all aware the way they work out how many hours per week you work is just using the pressing times for the items you produce & if the total doesn't come to 30 hours plus per week then your stuffed big time. That means you would have to produce around 600 mugs per week if you just did mugs. They don't take into account time for producing artwork, printing transfers, packing, or anything else associated with the work we do.

If I could produce & sell 600 mugs per week I wouldn't need to claim any working tax credits as I would make more than enough profit to pay myself a very decent wage every week.

I'm now going to go to the Jobcentre & sign on & claim whatever benefits I can which is the last thing I ever wanted to do.

Now who said they wanted people to set up a business & really make something of themselves? Oh it was someone called David Cameron wasn't it........wonder if his parents were ever married consideing what I'm now calling him.

Ian

Matt Quinn
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Just to make you all aware the way they work out how many hours per week you work is just using the pressing times for the items you produce & if the total doesn't come to 30 hours plus per week then your stuffed big time.

You MUST appeal this Ian... Clearly administrative and pre-production tasks are an integral part of the manufacturing process. They CANNOT legally ignore this! It's glib of me to say it I know; but you need legal advice - not easy to source when you're skint I know but you DO need qualified help here!

John G
11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Really sorry to hear about this Ian, as Matt said above - maybe a chat with a solicitor, to see where you stand, or even a visit to the citizens advice centre.

Fingers crossed - you'll work this out.

Ian M
11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Matt,

I've already checked & I haven't a leg to stand on. The best bit is I was told I could claim working tax credits by the new small business advisor at the Jobcentre when I first started. He said even if your sat looking at the PC at rivals work this is classed as research & you add that to your working hours. I just did what I was told to do & it now seems the goal posts have moved somewhat.

This is why they ask to see copies of all your invoices so they can see what you have produced to sell & they then calculate that against copies of the pressing times which they have from somewhere. They then take those figures & average them out over a period which in my case was six months & then they divide that into individual weeks to see the actual hours you have worked per week.

I did try to explain the time it took to produce any artwork from start to finish, the time it took to produce transfers, the time it took to pack items & everything else that goes with this job & he just wasn't at all interested. He said it was all calculated on the amount of sales you produce & nothing else.

Let's face it this government is doing all they can to save money & I got the distinct impression this is one way the Revenue & Customs are doing their bit.

It takes a lot to make me breakdown & cry & I haven't done much else since putting the phone down.

Ian

AdamB
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Jeez Ian - I hope everything gets worked out but as everyone else says some 'legal' expertise is required here ............. makes my (nasty woman) post look very, very trivial compared to this dilema.

Ditto - fingers also crossed

Ian M
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Really sorry to hear about this Ian, as Matt said above - maybe a chat with a solicitor, to see where you stand, or even a visit to the citizens advice centre.

Thanks John but, I really am stuffed now mate. I'll try to do what some others do & do this on the side & go job hunting. Going to be a bit difficult as my old employer RBS are closing the Leeds, Bradford & Harrogate offices down any week now so 3,600 of my old work mates will be on the dole too. By the way there are 17 people out of work now in Bradford for every available job.

Ian

Ian M
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Jeez Ian - I hope everything gets worked out but as everyone else says some 'legal' expertise is required here ............. makes my (nasty woman) post look very, very trivial compared to this dilema.

Ditto - fingers also crossed

Thanks Adam.

Stitch Up
11-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Now who said they wanted people to set up a business & really make something of themselves? Oh it was someone called David Cameron wasn't it........wonder if his parents were ever married consideing what I'm now calling him.

Ian
It's changed now. Cameron wants as many people as possible to work for absolutely NOTHING - I think they call it 'The Big Society'.

Maybe the News of the World will turn out to be this Government's Watergate - we can only hope.

Matt Quinn
11-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I did try to explain the time it took to produce any artwork from start to finish, the time it took to produce transfers, the time it took to pack items & everything else that goes with this job & he just wasn't at all interested. He said it was all calculated on the amount of sales you produce & nothing else.

Is it any wonder many people tell you WFTC is more trouble than it's worth to claim?

- These guys work on stats. They know fine well some people will 'fold' at the first bit of pressure and that's an 'easy one up' on the 'P.I.s' (performance indicators) they chase... Others will appeal and succeed; that's expected. Bear in mind a lot of these guys have been 'acquired' from the DHSS (whatever they're calling themselves this week) and work with the same mentality they did in 1986! FACT - The people that administer WFTC are known for their legendary incometence!

- It's plainly ludicrous to base time estimates on just part of a process. - A process in which that are clearly inexpert and grossly ill-informed.

One of the reasons we don't touch mugs is that my initial time-and-motion studies indicated the entire process averages around 35 minutes PER ITEM in terms of labour! - That places a man-hour cost of over £11.66 per item when we take into account all the overheads of employing someone!

Likewise it's nonsense to penalise a business for lack of or limited sales. What if you produce 500,000 mugs, have them all as stock but can't sell a single one? -Doesn't mean you didn't work to produce them! WFTC is based on the time you work; whether that work is lucrative or not is irrelevant except in so far as it affects the level of credit - Remember; this is esentially a re-named benefit!

- A farmer who's crops fail is not 'punished' this way.

You need to get proper advice here. Sadly I don't know where to turn other than a lawyer, but I would start at my local welfare rights organisation.

Paul
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
bas***ds!!!
I am realy sorry Ian :mad:

I'm now going to go to the Jobcentre & sign on & claim whatever benefits I can which is the last thing I ever wanted to do. Ian

good on ya!!
how they can justfy paying all those neverworkinglazychuvs!?
and can not help honest working man :( shame on them :(

Ian M
11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
John,

I was watching The Fairy Job Mother the other week & she said there are plans that anyone getting Job Seekers Allowance will be expected to do community work such as criminals who are ordered by the courts to do Community Service otherwise no money.

Keep your eye on what happens next with NOTW because what they have done to refer the BSkyB bid will now take aroud 6 months to make a decision. How fresh in peoples minds will this be in the very early part of next year?

Ian M
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Matt,

I've spoken to me next door neighbour who just happens to work for HM Revenue & Customs & he said they have been told by the government new ways to work out claims. I also used the farmer with failed crops argument & he said there is a special section in the self assessment form for that purpose & he's correct. He also said writers & artists come under the same type of consideration as farmers with failed crops as it can take them a lot of work to produce an end item/product for sale.

He said at the end of the day I really haven't a leg to stand on because I can't prove beyond all reasonable doubt how long it takes me to produce such as artwork. He also said they know retail is very down right now & that is why they have been told to target people such as myself because they know they have a good chance of winning & able to demand all the money back.

So, your right in saying it's all to do with stats & PI's & at the end of the year they'll tot up all the money they have stopped paying & also recovered & report back to the government who will be more than happy.

I'm not as upset now as it has now turned more to anger.

Ian M
11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks Paul,

As I said I'm now going to claim everything I can as I could do with a new car & a decent holiday abroad somewhere. Looking around at some who have no intention of working where I live who have new cars & have holidays abroad. It might mean I can now afford to drink alcohol too & smoke & stop in bed till the middle of the afternoon.

mrs maggot
13-07-2011, 09:54 AM
i know what you mean ian, it makes you mad to know what others are doing and getting away with, but we seem to be the type of people that would get caught opening a door the wrong way lol - i firmly belive in karma, its worked a few times so far, in the end you get there, currently fighting and struggling with the tax man on my hubby's behalf and have no doubt that when my first set of books go in - having the same sirname will mean mine get looked at over and over again

smitch6
13-07-2011, 12:55 PM
i know what you mean ian, it makes you mad to know what others are doing and getting away with, but we seem to be the type of people that would get caught opening a door the wrong way lol - i firmly belive in karma, its worked a few times so far, in the end you get there, currently fighting and struggling with the tax man on my hubby's behalf and have no doubt that when my first set of books go in - having the same sirname will mean mine get looked at over and over again

don't suppose there's many ppl with the name maggot :)

really sorry to hear your terrible news Ian i can't imagine how you are feeling at the mo,
to put all that work in and try and do things right to be kicked in the teeth like that, when as you say others just live off the country and do nothing

keep your chin up mate :)

Ian M
13-07-2011, 07:24 PM

I couldn't agree more Laura & when the benefit cheats live next door & just across the road it really seems like they are rubbing your face in it. I believe in karma too & the old saying 'what goes around comes around'.

I know what you mean about having the same surname as that used to happen a bit at the banks where I used to work. As someone said to me sometime ago 'if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all'. I'm not the one you'd send out to buy the lottery tickets just now. :biggrin:

Ian M
13-07-2011, 07:33 PM
really sorry to hear your terrible news Ian i can't imagine how you are feeling at the mo,
to put all that work in and try and do things right to be kicked in the teeth like that, when as you say others just live off the country and do nothing

keep your chin up mate :)

Thanks Steve really nice kind words from you & the others on here which has made me feel much better than I did on Monday. I'd take you all out for a drink but, the taxman has got all my money now.

I've gone from being very upset to a feeling of pure anger now & God help the person at the Jobcentre who I tell that they told me to apply for the working tax credits in the first place.

This has just come after I applied for a job at a building society doing what I used to do in the banks. In fact I could so easily do the job they had standing on my head but, didn't get it. I know a couple of people who work there & they are saying it was my age that was against me but, I'll bounce back as I always do in the end.

Ian M
18-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Ok folks, just got the letter from HM Revenue & Customs & this is how they word it. I said I was told that they now work it out using how much you sell & this is the line in the letter that proves it.

''To be entitled to tax credits, for the circumstances you claimed for you must be completing at least 30 hours work per week & the majority of your time must be done for payment''.

This means if you have a few lean weeks where your sales/orders are down this then means they can say your not working enough hours per week. So, if your spending a lot of time on say a new product or idea your not really working as your not receiving any payment.

Looking at my figures from the last quarter of 2010 I would have been ok but, as I said before they have decided to use the first quarter figures which we all know has been a very quiet time for most of us.

Ian

Andrew
18-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I had started to write a longer post but this will just start me off on a massive rant. All I can say is that they are talking absolute BS! I've spent many a month trying to create new revenue streams where I worked every hour available, had websites built and flyers created at extra cost, only for nothing to ever come of it. Are they saying that is not classed as work?

I can imagine you must be in total dis-belief at how this can happen. It's very wrong and hope you find a way through it all.

Good luck.

Ian M
18-07-2011, 08:16 PM
I've spent many a month trying to create new revenue streams where I worked every hour available, had websites built and flyers created at extra cost, only for nothing to ever come of it. Are they saying that is not classed as work?

You've hit the nail on the head Andrew.

As I said before they are just using the pressing times & I would have to sell at least 600 mugs per week to qualify for the working tax credits. If I made 600 mugs but only sold 50 of them in just one week that would mean I have only really worked 2.5 hours according to their new rules.

All what you did Andrew doesn't count because you didn't receive any payment for what you did. Crazy isn't it.

Andrew
19-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Is it due to what industry you are in specifically or just in general. I cannot see how they have a leg to stand on with that claim. I've never heard such BS!

I use a business forum occasionally and I know there was one person on there who used to offer research services to other companies. If they needed info rather than search themselves they could outsource the work to this individual.

Have you gone to a Solicitor/Accountant at all to ask their advice. I know it is more money but surely it can't be correct or legal on what they are trying to claim.

It might be worth popping on to one of the business forums to ask the question. The main one (UKBF) has legal and accounts sections so you should get a bit of feedback.

accdave
19-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Is this why Traffic Wardens have high targets, to justify every minute they work as worthy of payment.

Bent politiician,s bent journalists, bent policemen and a system that makes those who work hard for a living get penalised while those who screw the system get a cushy number. What a country !!!!!!1

Matt Quinn
19-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Have you gone to a Solicitor/Accountant at all to ask their advice. I know it is more money but surely it can't be correct or legal on what they are trying to claim.

I have to agree... MANY businesses involve situations where very high percentages of the man-hours worked cannot be directly charged to a client or attributed to a singular job or product. Video production - Only 10%-15% is spent actually filming or editing material... Indeed one of the things we teach students studying (programme) Production Management is that there is no such thing as free time - all business/work related activities, however minor, percolate through to the final invoice even if they can't be itemised...

Whether these things are profitable or not is another matter!

This is where time-and-motion studies pay dividends. - It's surprising how labout costs per product spiral when you actually DO take into account not only the primary and secondary but tertiary activities that go into getting a product onto the shelf!

...As I said previously; I know for a fact one DHSS tactic was to deny people things they were fully entitled to knowing that a proportion would simply 'fold' at the first hurdle. - More often than not deciscions given to claiments were in spectacular breach of the law, and collapsed under review. - But by that means they could massage their P.I.s - And in fact many of the statistic you hear about 'Benefit Cheats' are generated by extrapolating this sort of nefariously inaccurate data!

- The people you are dealing with ARE ex DHSS - And from a section that is legend for its spectacular incompetence. My instinct is that they are trying it on - And they DON'T have the last word! though they crack-on otherwise!

You need someone with professional experience to guide you. Advice from forums, neighbours etc is all very well; even if they do have some background knowledge - But this is a case of fold or get the proper help and advice.

Ian M
19-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm going to see someone to get some advice on all this because I really am feeling very uneasy at what the decision was.

smitch6
20-07-2011, 10:51 AM
good on you Ian don't let them grind you down
You are trying to earn your own money rather than living off the state so stick to your guns and fight them

you've got the support of everyone on here i'm sure :)

Ian M
20-07-2011, 03:32 PM
good on you Ian don't let them grind you down
You are trying to earn your own money rather than living off the state so stick to your guns and fight them

you've got the support of everyone on here i'm sure :)

Thanks Steve & to everyone else too for all your help, advice & support it really does mean a lot to me.

Ian :biggrin:

Ian M
20-07-2011, 03:48 PM
GOOD NEWS

I've been & got some advice today & there are good grounds for me to appeal against the decision. Turns out I should have been given the right to appeal but, there was nothing on the letter regarding this & this gives good grounds to have the decision reversed in itself as they got it wrong. I was also told they do have to take in to account any other work associated with the business which is counted as 'working hours'. This can include such things as driving to see a customer, delivering items or even going to pick something up such as items I use to print on. It should also include other things we do such as artwork on the PC or building a website or even printing letters & leaflets to use in a mailshot etc. I was told they cannot just go on the amount of sales alone & to pick what is the worst trading quarter for me makes the decision in itself flawed.

I was also told they have to allow time for things such as new product development where no sales would be forthcoming at such times & they should also know that most new businesses will not show any profit within the first few years of trading.

It's looking much better now & I have just spoken to HM Revenue & Customs & I got a really nice man this time who listened to everything I had to say. He said it does seem you do have a good case to appeal & he is sending me all the paperwork for me to go ahead with the appeal.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice & help & without you all I was so close to just buckling at the decision that was made.

accdave
20-07-2011, 03:55 PM
GOOD NEWS

I've been & got some advice today & there are good grounds for me to appeal against the decision. Turns out I should have been given the right to appeal but, there was nothing on the letter regarding this & this gives good grounds to have the decision reversed in itself as they got it wrong. I was also told they do have to take in to account any other work associated with the business which is counted as 'working hours'. This can include such things as driving to see a customer, delivering items or even going to pick something up such as items I use to print on. It should also include other things we do such as artwork on the PC or building a website or even printing letters & leaflets to use in a mailshot etc. I was told they cannot just go on the amount of sales alone & to pick what is the worst trading quarter for me makes the decision in itself flawed.

I was also told they have to allow time for things such as new product development where no sales would be forthcoming at such times & they should also know that most new businesses will not show any profit within the first few years of trading.

We all know what it takes to run a business, anybody with at least one brain cell would also know, unfortunately you have had to deal with a government jobsworth who gets a kick out of his position. Apart from an appeal you should also have the right to perform a brain transplant between a goldfish and the aforementioned government jobsworth. Good luck Ian

John G
20-07-2011, 04:01 PM
That's good news Ian, hope the appeal goes well and that you can put this behind you and get on with running a business.

Andrew
20-07-2011, 05:21 PM
That certainly is good news. It was quite obvious the initial outcome was total rubbish but when it comes from HMRC you assume with their power that they know what they are talking about and their word is final. I have regular dealings with them and it is very hit and miss depending on who you get through to. Some are very helpful and will go out of their way to help you whilst others are the total opposite and don't give a damn about you. It's very wrong that it comes down to pot luck but this is often the case with the Public Sector as there seems little option for recourse when receiving bad service. Private sector workers could never get away with some of the stuff the worst Public Sector workers do.

Glad it is looking up.

smitch6
20-07-2011, 08:48 PM
that's brill Ian lets hope they finally see sense and you get a better outcome this time

Ian M
20-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone & I'll let you all know what happens.

AdamB
20-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Fantastic news mate and I hope everything is going to be a little brighter now for you - it does gove you a 'warm' feeling when things start to go right after a wrong has been done ......................... really chuffed (I know you're not out of the water but it's still better news than before).

Matt Quinn
20-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Excellent - Glad you saw the light. I'm sure everyone is rooting for your appeal.

Ian M
21-07-2011, 02:19 PM
It really is a step in the right direction Adam & fingers crossed eh. Matt thanks for all your words of wisdom & you & everyone else has really made me dig my heels in to fight this not just for myself but all the others who are receiving the same treatment.

Lee
21-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Great news! And thank you for sharing your painful experience - this is real life stuff, that a lot of us here could be caught up with... Keep up the fight!

David B
21-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Good luck mate you will need it. I am only 10 miles away if you fancy a coffe come on over anytime.
Keep on fighting till you drop.
Regards David

Ian M
21-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks Lee & David.

David, thanks for the offer & do you do valium with the coffee? :biggrin:

David B
21-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Ian
Will have a strong word with the local pharmacy tomorrow LOL.
Just pm me if you fancy a break for a hour or so
Kind regards David

Ian M
15-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Just been told by HMRC that I have lost my appeal & the decision stands.
The best bit is the person who looks at your appeal & decides the outcome is the same person who made the original decision. He wasn't very pleased with me because I had called into question several of his points in coming to the original decision. I even invited him to come & stay with me for a week so he could see how many hours I do actually work but, he said he wasn't allowed to do that.
In the end it's a no win situation so, this afternoon I registered for Job Seekers Allowance & when I explained to them what had happend they did admit they had quite a few who are in the same position as me regarding HMRC.

Paul
15-08-2011, 03:49 PM
:( realy sorry to hear this Ian! :( any cheance for appeal of the appeal??

Andrew
15-08-2011, 05:10 PM
You should go to the local press to get your story out there. Surely this can't be right just because some halfwit says so.......twice.

AdamB
15-08-2011, 05:46 PM
ouch! bad news mate ........ I'd invite him to come and stay though - although his accomodation would be in my cellar ...... a room with no view!

Renniwano
15-08-2011, 08:00 PM
OMG.. I really feel for you and can't believe the way the world is going to the dogs..

I am in a position that a hobby business for the last four years is looking to go full time this september when my youngest child starts school..

I am terrible at paperwork and even though I have everything nothing would show 25 hours work that I claim for.. as I spend a lot of time at the moment sorting out websites and searching online for suppliers etc..

I am now absolutely crapping the fact that if it were to happen to me.. i'd probably curl up under my desk and shrivel away.

I think you are extremely fantastic to have kept your cool the way you have.. because I would be setting them up for a world of pain with the newspapers etc. especially as like you, I have a lot of 'benefit scroungers' in the area who are happy to sit on their butts doing nothing all day.

I am now as of tomorrow sorting out all of my paperwork.. getting a diary.. and a hair dye !!

I really hope that you can sort this out.. and will happily bitch at a newspaper and MP or two if you need help..

They wonder why people riot, loot and generally become lowlifes.. and now you know why !! we are treated as such because we choose to get off our backsides and make something of ourselves.

HUGE hugs..
Nikki x

pitkin2020
15-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you have been right through the ringer mate and you have my sympathies. Don't give up on your sublimation sales just look for avenue where its cash only sales, a position that most are forced into because of the stupid system. (thats not legal advice BTW and should sort of be ignored!! lol)

I would also look to appeal the decision again on the grounds the appeal was taken on by the original decision maker and is a biased opinion. Citizens advice can be pretty useful for information in situations like this. Unfortunetly they want you to just roll over and give up because they just get what they want then, you have to keep fighting it. I would still go the jobseekers route for the time being then you may have a good case for suing them for the loss of business if you do manage to get it over turned.

The whole system is a complete joke, if you play the system most seem to do really well where as those who tie the line and do everything above board get collared. Its hardly worth doing things the proper way these days. The system doesn't reward those that are actively trying to work only those that are actively trying to not work!!

Ian M
15-08-2011, 08:27 PM
:( realy sorry to hear this Ian! :( any cheance for appeal of the appeal??

Thanks Paul & no chance for another appeal as it just isn't worth it mate. It really is just a no win situation.

Ian M
15-08-2011, 08:30 PM
You should go to the local press to get your story out there. Surely this can't be right just because some halfwit says so.......twice.

I thought about going to the press Andrew but, I doubt they would be that interested to be honest. I've also got to bear in mind I have to do some serious job hunting now which should be fun & no future employer would want to take on someone who they thought could be trouble causer. I agree that it's not right but, I just don't fit the new HMRC/government rules.

Ian M
15-08-2011, 08:36 PM
ouch! bad news mate ........ I'd invite him to come and stay though - although his accomodation would be in my cellar ...... a room with no view!

Adam, I really did invite him to come & stay with me for a week & it was funny because he just didn't know how to reply. He then said 'we're not allowed the time to do things like that'. He was very aggressive with me right at the start of his call & so he got aggressive back & he really couldn't handle it. If he spoke nicely to me I spoke nicely back & he soon realised I could give back as much as he could. I could never do a job such as his as I just wouldn't be able to sleep well at night.

Ian M
15-08-2011, 08:55 PM
OMG.. I really feel for you and can't believe the way the world is going to the dogs..
I am in a position that a hobby business for the last four years is looking to go full time this september when my youngest child starts school..
I am terrible at paperwork and even though I have everything nothing would show 25 hours work that I claim for.. as I spend a lot of time at the moment sorting out websites and searching online for suppliers etc..
I am now absolutely crapping the fact that if it were to happen to me.. i'd probably curl up under my desk and shrivel away.
I think you are extremely fantastic to have kept your cool the way you have.. because I would be setting them up for a world of pain with the newspapers etc. especially as like you, I have a lot of 'benefit scroungers' in the area who are happy to sit on their butts doing nothing all day.
I am now as of tomorrow sorting out all of my paperwork.. getting a diary.. and a hair dye !!
I really hope that you can sort this out.. and will happily bitch at a newspaper and MP or two if you need help..
They wonder why people riot, loot and generally become lowlifes.. and now you know why !! we are treated as such because we choose to get off our backsides and make something of ourselves.
HUGE hugs..
Nikki x

Thanks Nikki,
I started the business from a hobby as I found myself out of work not long after the banking crisis & guess who worked for a bank at the time.....me.
Your not going to like the next bit because during my appeal he did manage to get my working hours to 25 which fell 5 hours short of what I needed. I said the same about spending time doing research finding suppliers looking at the oppositions websites for inspiration (not to copy them) & he said they would allow a maximum of 3 to 4 hours per week for that. They would allow the same amount of time for building or maintaining a website & no more. He also said as far as mail outs go you should be able to print, write & fill envelopes at 70 per hour. He said going to see customers the time it takes you to get there & back is not counted as working hours only the time you are with the customer. He also said you are allowed one hour per day maximum for all your paper work such as invoices, doing your books or even filling out a tax return. It just went on & on & when I questioned where he was getting all these figures from he just said it was what they are told to use.
I'm afraid I've now had to join the throng of the scroungers but, I can't afford to go to the shop for cans of beer, get drugs from a local dealer, get a new car, have holidays abroad, or even smoke & there is no way I'm walking around all day in a shell suit with the hood up.
If I was you I would keep a diary of all that you do & just wish I had known about that trick myself before they told me.
Anyone fancy joing my riot soon? :biggrin:

Ian M
15-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like you have been right through the ringer mate and you have my sympathies. Don't give up on your sublimation sales just look for avenue where its cash only sales, a position that most are forced into because of the stupid system. (thats not legal advice BTW and should sort of be ignored!! lol)
I would also look to appeal the decision again on the grounds the appeal was taken on by the original decision maker and is a biased opinion. Citizens advice can be pretty useful for information in situations like this. Unfortunetly they want you to just roll over and give up because they just get what they want then, you have to keep fighting it. I would still go the jobseekers route for the time being then you may have a good case for suing them for the loss of business if you do manage to get it over turned.
The whole system is a complete joke, if you play the system most seem to do really well where as those who tie the line and do everything above board get collared. Its hardly worth doing things the proper way these days. The system doesn't reward those that are actively trying to work only those that are actively trying to not work!!

Thanks Richard. I'm not going to give up on my sublimation work as I have a few really good customers who will stick with me because they say I give an excellent service to them.
As far as the Citizens Advice goes you try getting to see them. You have to phone them to make an appointment & they don't hardly ever answer the phone these days. The people I spoke to at the Job Centre just said they've had a few people just in the same boat as me & one of the staff said it is the worst she has ever known it in over 40 years at working there.
One of the things I said to the person who has taken the decisions against me at HMRC is that it usually takes a new business around 5 years to start showing healthy profits. He said that has now changed with this present government & it is now 12 to 18 months & no longer.
I agree it is a complete joke & these people making such decisions should be dressed as clowns.

JackB
15-08-2011, 09:32 PM
You will have to start printing shirts with : Vote Conservative if you don't want people to have a hobby or any fun in their lives.

Jack.

Renniwano
15-08-2011, 09:35 PM
One of the things I said to the person who has taken the decisions against me at HMRC is that it usually takes a new business around 5 years to start showing healthy profits. He said that has now changed with this present government & it is now 12 to 18 months & no longer.

Jees.. they obviously think we're all drug pushers or the likes then.. because i'd like to know how to make a healthy profit in that time once machinary etc has been paid for.. i'm in the wrong job !!

Paul
15-08-2011, 09:41 PM
is all confusing now... :(
My mate asked me if i want to work fo his friends company as sort of online shop administrator. (BIG shop) not programin etc... only checkin all day the web for beer, wine etc glass. and update the price. so in the eye of the law i am not working??

Ian M
16-08-2011, 02:50 AM
You will have to start printing shirts with : Vote Conservative if you don't want people to have a hobby or any fun in their lives.

Jack.

Jack, you have as much chance of me riding a unicycle whilst knitting fog than printing those T-shirts :biggrin:

Ian M
16-08-2011, 02:52 AM
Jees.. they obviously think we're all drug pushers or the likes then.. because i'd like to know how to make a healthy profit in that time once machinary etc has been paid for.. i'm in the wrong job !!

I forgot to add Nikki that these people at HMRC most of them worked at the DSS investigating benefit fraud. That came from someone who works at HMRC.

Ian M
16-08-2011, 02:54 AM
is all confusing now... :(
My mate asked me if i want to work fo his friends company as sort of online shop administrator. (BIG shop) not programin etc... only checkin all day the web for beer, wine etc glass. and update the price. so in the eye of the law i am not working??

3 to 4 hours per week Paul according to Mr Nasty.

pitkin2020
16-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Well technically not many people could achieve the full working hours. Even if you were employed by someone for 30 hours not all that time is production time for resale. Cleaning, setting up, etc all has to be taken into account. This change has to be a recent one as when I looked at it last year the job centre advisor was telling me that to work out my working hours everything had to be taken into account including all the above and extras things like sorting advertising, delivering leaflets, meeting with clients etc. If it has changed hopefully they are giving the correct advice now.

Ian M
16-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Well technically not many people could achieve the full working hours. Even if you were employed by someone for 30 hours not all that time is production time for resale. Cleaning, setting up, etc all has to be taken into account. This change has to be a recent one as when I looked at it last year the job centre advisor was telling me that to work out my working hours everything had to be taken into account including all the above and extras things like sorting advertising, delivering leaflets, meeting with clients etc. If it has changed hopefully they are giving the correct advice now.

The changes came into force at the start of the year. The staff at the Job Centre I spoke to yesterday have no idea about these changes at all & they said they had had a few others in a similar situation as me.
I was given the same advice as you when I first started out on my own which was correct at the time. In fact they said to me at the Job Centre yesterday that they thought I only needed to work just 16 hours per week as I'm over 50 to qualify for the working tax credits. It does seem that one department is saying one thing whilst another is saying something very different.

JSR
16-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Sorry to read about you going through the wringer, Ian. What a ridiculous country we live in when you're better off not working than working. People who try to work so that they're not a burden to the state should be encouraged, not discouraged like this.

And they wonder why we have so many unemployed (and by that I mean the number of people "not working" as opposed to government figures that only take into account a small proportion because it looks better).

Ian M
16-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Sorry to read about you going through the wringer, Ian. What a ridiculous country we live in when you're better off not working than working. People who try to work so that they're not a burden to the state should be encouraged, not discouraged like this.

And they wonder why we have so many unemployed (and by that I mean the number of people "not working" as opposed to government figures that only take into account a small proportion because it looks better).

Thanks Jonathan. I couldn't agree with you more in all you say. I know only too well about figures from my time in banking as we could make figures & stats fit just the way we wanted them too.
An old friend of mine sent me this & I think it really sums up the country.

The British Government provides the following financial assistance: -

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER (bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and National Insurance contributions to the British government all their working life) Weekly allowance: £106.00
IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN (No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever) Weekly allowance: £250.00

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER Weekly Spouse allowance: £25.00
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN Weekly Spouse allowance: £225.00

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER Additional weekly hardship allowance £0.00
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN Additional weekly hardship allowance £100.00

A British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT £6,000
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

Lee
16-08-2011, 07:57 PM
OMG - plesse please please send this to Question Time and lwt us see them all wriggling about!
Summat wrong in this country!

John G
16-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Really thought you'd turn this one around Ian - sorry to hear they won't listen.

Paul
16-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks Jonathan. I couldn't agree with you more in all you say. I know only too well about figures from my time in banking as we could make figures & stats fit just the way we wanted them too.
An old friend of mine sent me this & I think it really sums up the country.

The British Government provides the following financial assistance: -

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER (bearing in mind they worked hard and paid their Income Tax and National Insurance contributions to the British government all their working life) Weekly allowance: £106.00
IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN (No Income Tax and National Insurance contribution whatsoever) Weekly allowance: £250.00

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER Weekly Spouse allowance: £25.00
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN Weekly Spouse allowance: £225.00

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER Additional weekly hardship allowance £0.00
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN Additional weekly hardship allowance £100.00

A British old age pensioner is no less hard up than an illegal immigrant/refugee yet receives nothing

BRITISH OLD AGED PENSIONER TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT £6,000
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS/REFUGEES LIVING IN BRITAIN TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT: £29,900

where did you get this one from :)

Ian M
16-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Really thought you'd turn this one around Ian - sorry to hear they won't listen.

Thanks John but, I've got the impression it's happening to a lot of people like us. I could have gone on & on with appeals but there just didn't seem any point because of the fixed ways they have of working it all out. I've never thought it fair when the person who looks at an appeal is the same person who made the original decision. They are always going to be biased towards themselves otherwise they'd be out of a job.
I'm still going to try to carry on in some way as they are not going to completley grind me into the ground. Now what was that name they used on the video Adam poted the other day?.....ah that's it BAAAA-STUDS :biggrin:

Ian M
16-08-2011, 09:44 PM
where did you get this one from :)

An old friend emailed it to me just after I had told him what had happend. He also told me about just a couple of years ago pople from Ireland could get a cheap flight to the UK & then say they were seeking political asylum. They then would be given £500 & then they'd jump back on the next flight to Dublin £500 better off. Ever thought you might have done it wrong mate?

Paul
16-08-2011, 09:56 PM
this dont look right to me... how on earth you can ask for political asylum and then go back to your country? when you seeking asylum they take your passport away and you can not leave this country. if you do. you not asylum seeker... :/ so there is no money...
with respect to your friend but those figure look like bad propaganda against assylum seekers :(
Iam not trying to deffend anyone btw ;)

Ian M
17-08-2011, 01:51 AM
this dont look right to me... how on earth you can ask for political asylum and then go back to your country? when you seeking asylum they take your passport away and you can not leave this country. if you do. you not asylum seeker... :/ so there is no money...
with respect to your friend but those figure look like bad propaganda against assylum seekers :(
Iam not trying to deffend anyone btw ;)

This is how it's done :-

Under the current situation, passengers arriving on flights from Ireland arriving at a UK airport, Irish passengers are not vetted by immigration officers.
Because of the Common Travel Area (CTA) agreement, they, along with passengers from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, present their boarding cards and are given speedy entry via a channel next to immigration.

They don't need a passport.

Ian M
16-05-2012, 03:51 PM
As some of you will remember HMRC decided to stop my Working Tax Credits last year because, I could not prove I was working the hours I needed too because I was working on new ideas at the time. You could say it was my R&D period to help grow my business. Today I have seen this news report about Lola Cars who have suffered the same fate as me but, in a much bigger way.

Lola Cars has announced that it is going into financial administration as it continues to search for possible investors. The group, which was formed in 1958, said the latest economic downturn has caused a serious cash-flow problem that had forced it into making the decision.
It also blamed the move on the HMRC not paying ongoing R&D tax credits.

It seems this government & the HMRC just don't understand the need for R&D to develop new products & designs. How the hell is the country supposed to grow without any support for R&D?