PDA

View Full Version : Mug wraps

TonyM
21-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi all,
I have been having "some" success with printing mugs, but I am not 100% happy with the inconsistency.
I think the mug wraps I received with my machine (Magic Touch HTP 616TS) I think may be part of my problem.
I received two.
One is a bit loose and there is no adjustment. The other is fairly snug, but I always seem to get one side a little fainter. The one side of the mug is incredibly sharp and vibrant, but the last third there is a slight fade. No one has actually complained that i have sold mugs to, but I am not happy with the result when I can see how absolutely fantastic the print can be, It is noticable mostly in good sunlight.
My question:
Is there anywhere I could buy a thin inner to add to the existing wraps? Perhaps i need to buy a couple of new wraps?I have looked on BMS but they do not have any in stock. I have left my e-mail for notification when the arrive.
Finally the wraps come in different sizes as I have a few smaller mugs that the wraps are way too big for those mugs.
If the normal mugs are 11oz what size wraps would I need for the smaller mugs? Would the bigger wraps do steins?
Is anyone selling any such wraps on here?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

bms
21-05-2011, 09:52 PM
If you're looking for thin inserts then something on the link below might be suitable:
http://www.printerowners.co.uk/sublimation/54/silicon-pads-wraps.htm

Is it the Cactus Wraps that you're referring to that are currently out of stock?

mrs maggot
21-05-2011, 10:19 PM
have you contacted magic touch and showed them the problem ?? it might be worth chatting with them and taking their advice, and showing them pictures of the issues, which might be related to the set up of the press/wraps

JSR
21-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Personally, if you're going to use wraps, I've never understood the appeal of TMT's "heat press". If you're going to use wraps, then dropping them in a halogen oven (such as this one http://www.jmldirect.com/The-Original-Halogen-Oven-PH1501/ - others are available) makes for a more sensible choice, because the heat is even all around the mug.

Wraps that aren't adjustable smells a bit like a marketing ploy, to force you into buying other ones just for different sized mugs. You can adapt them slightly using the silicon rubber that BMS links to (they're also available from Listawood in both 5mm and 1.5mm thicknesses: http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.com/item.php?id=HP8002 and http://www.listawoodtradesupplies.com/item.php?id=HP8001), but you're probably going to be better off looking for adjustable wraps such as these http://www.sublisupplies.com/mug-machine/adjustable-mug-clamp-sn0392/prod_20.html together with the silicon rubber cut to size.

Stitch Up
22-05-2011, 08:54 AM
We have the HTP-616 from TMT. This mug press doesn't work with subli inks, it's for laser printers.

Kaz
22-05-2011, 10:43 AM
This mug press doesn't work with subli inks, it's for laser printers.

I'm confused ?!?

Surely as long as it heats up to 180 degrees, it can be used for sublimation purposes?

Stitch Up
22-05-2011, 10:57 AM
We have one of these and never got good results with subli inks. We contacted TMT and they told us it's for laser not subli inks! HHowever, looking on their website it states:

Suitable for both toner and sublimation transfers.

I'm confused too. TMT definately told it was not suitable for subli ink transfers and we never got good results when we tried they lacked the shine/glaze. When we visited TMT for training they showed us the difference between the HTP-616 and subli printing in a conventional heat press, the subli printed mug was a huge improvemnt over the HTP-616.

Paul
22-05-2011, 01:03 PM
My question:
Is there anywhere I could buy a thin inner to add to the existing wraps?
Tony

try them:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/X-Large-Silicone-Baking-Sheet-Work-Mat-Oven-Liner-Tray-/380237977587?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_Cookware_GL&var=&hash=item975733afad#ht_1456wt_905

I use it for my mugs and slates.

TonyM
22-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi
Thanks for the replies

Yes Martin i was referi9ng to the cactus wraps that are not in stock.
Hi Stich Up
I have 2 settings on my mug T and S, Does yours?
I have the HTP 616 TS You stated the HTP-616 (no TS)
I would imagine the switch is to change fromTransfer to sublimation?
I do know that when I purchased the oven I tried to do the mugs on T and had to have the dials set to 7 or 8 to get even a wishy washy image. But as soon as I changed to S I had to turn the dials right down.
I have done a few hundred sublimation mugs now using it.
I just set the dials to between 2 and 3 and can do 2 at a time. They take just a couple of minites to do the two.
I cant imagine why you were told that? I was getting absolutely fantastic results, it is only just recently I am getting a slight fade when I use one of the wraps. I was putting it down to perhaps wear as I has done quite a few boxes using it.

I will look at teh inners people have suggested and perhaps order a couple of the cactus wraps once they are back in stock
Many thanks all

Tony

Stitch Up
22-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Tony. It seems that your description indicates your HTP-616 is different to ours! We don't have a T & S switch but I'd be very interested to know what this switch actually does - I'd be sure it's a simple modification and could really do with that as ours is just gathering dust!

If ever you have reason to take the cover off, please take some good pictures :)

John

TonyM
22-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Hope this works
It is a picture I have just taken showing the TS switch.
You will note i have the dials on just over 2 and that does a cup every minite when I am using the two wraps.
Realistically though I dont rush the adding the paper and taping.
Plus they get hot!
Hope this helps

Stitch Up
22-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks Tony, I'll get an email off to TMT.

John

P4UL
16-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi John, just wondering if you found out about the different models of TMT mug presses? re:Laser transfer/sublimation..

I have just purchased a second hand TNT HTP616 plus, which also has no T/S function, prior to reading this thread...dohh!

I was considering sublimation over laser transfers for printing mugs as most of the posts I have read on the subject seem to say the finished product from the laser

transfer is not as good as the sublimation print.