PDA

View Full Version : MUG time!! and HELLO!

hooperjaws
05-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Hi all!

Well yesterday I decided to ignore the general wishes of the wifey and start yet another "tinkering about" project: Sublimation mug printing!! Woo hoo!!

Ive always fancied making t-shirts or doing something similar. Theres something quite cool about making stuff, and if you can make a few pennies along the way then thats a brucie bonus too. Looked into screen printing many many years ago but it seemed too expensive and messy.

Last year the wife dragged me to an event at skegness butlins, where I witnessed a stand charging over the odds for T-shirts and Hoodies, taking transfers from a folder of pre-prepared logos and applying them in a few seconds with what looked like a mini ironing presses (cut down versions of the one Bea used to use on 'Prisoner Cell Block H"). Money for old rope it looked like to me.

Anyway the summer is coming and now the wife is bullying me to remove most of my junk from various projects and hobbies (bike restoration, arcade machines, fishing gear) from our house and rent someones garage so we can de-clutter our house. Not quite in the spirit of de-cluttering I see having a garage as an opportuinty to do more stuff, and hence my mind turned back to t-shirts.

However, as one lot of reading leads to another, I have learned a little about sublimation printing, and having seen some of the cool mugs people have made, I think I'm going to have a go at mug-making instead.

Ive ordered some half-empty ink bottles from ebay (keep the startup costs as low as possible), some refillable empty cartridges for my old Epson printer that i havent used since I bought a Canon, some heat-resistant tape, and some transfer paper. Im hoping to learn to use Adobe Illustrator (since we already have it) for designs. Do I buy a mug-press or try making them in our oven...?! (I wonder how toxic these subli dyes are...) Do I need wraps or will paper taped to the mugs work fine as they are..??

Left to buy: some Mugs. Maybe Wraps. Maybe Press. Maybe small convection oven.
Likely to happen because I'm trying to do everything on the cheap: Ink everywhere other than it should be, lots of mistakes and scrapped mugs, burnt fingers.

Advice welcome!!
Cliffy.

Paul
05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi Cliffy! welcome on forum mate! few answers now ;)

got epson? got ink?? what about profile??? what printer you planing to use? you need colour correction profile if you dont want your pictures to look odd ;)

press or wraps?? well... I would go for a press first. oven and wraps is I would say for biger runs. press is perfect for one offs and is more simple to use and set.
t-shirts??? you never mentioned anything about press. you need heat press to press your transfers. you wont get away wth iren. it simply wont work.

Adobe illustrator. perfect for designes but again. I dont know if you can print stright from this software using color profiles. most people use adobe photoshop or corel draw.

as I said first :) welcome in this wired world :)

Paul

Justin
05-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Cliffy and welcome to the DSF! I'll copy your thread into the Mugs section so that it gets the best exposure and no doubt you'll get plenty of advice and info very quickly :-)

Justin
DSF Admin

hooperjaws
05-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks!

Paul, im not planning any T-shirts at all just yet. Just the Mugs ;-)
Profile - I assume you are referring to colour correction profiles. Now is that software based from Epson, or some kind of "inbetween" software that meddles with the printer driver? Either way I don't have it! I was going to start off with solid-color designs at first, and print off a bunch of "colour squares" with RGB values, and see how they come out. Correcting manually in my actual designs, this should work ok for basic stuff but for photo images I guess I am going to have to find a better solution than that!

bms
05-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like your planninng on having some fun :)

David B
07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi Cliffy
Welcome to the forum. Defination of de cluttering moving from one place to another. My wife says a skip would be best.
Good luck and hope the fun outweighs the frustration.