PDA

View Full Version : Epson stylus SX215

avfcvillan
15-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi there here goes with my first NOVICE question.

I have brought a Epson Stylus SX215 with refillable ink cartridges (CMYB)

I purchased Visi-sub ink.

I will be using Photoshop CS3.

What will I need to do to my images to make the colours come out correctly?:confused:

Neil.

John G
15-06-2011, 07:41 PM
A profile to match your printer - not sure if your chosen epson has a profile though or is supported.

Matt Quinn
15-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Basically you'll probably need to have someone make a colour profile for your set up... That or use 'Maxwell's triangle' or a similar technique to do it by eye. All things considered a proper profile is the better way to go.

Have you tried the set up though? Is it a million miles away from being OK?

avfcvillan
15-06-2011, 08:19 PM
TBH i haven't tried it yet as i was trying to get everything that I possibly could in place before i took the plunge and tried the first mug. Also i'm still getting my head around photoshop, may have to ask my 17yo daughter to help with that one!

bms
15-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Visi-Sub (also known as Artainium) will have profiles made for it, but not for the SX415 though.

avfcvillan
15-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I bought the ink from love cut but they don't seem to be listed on the reseller list I was going to try the d120 profile. Have I made a big mistake buying from where I did and where do I go from here. I'm going to try a trial run tomorrow evening ..

Matt Quinn
15-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Trial run would be the first step to see how much work is needed IMHO... You MAY find as I did (with a 415 as opposed to a 215) that very little adjustment is needed.

It's worth mentioning that ANY off-the-shelf profile is only an approximation... Even if it's meant for the model of printer and brand of ink. The substrate you're going onto plays a part. As does the individual printer etc... Ultimately, if you were being really fussy, a custom profile is the way to go - How necessary that really is though depends on how far out of the ball park you are and what results you expect and/or demand.

I think one of the factors that needs to be faced is that any of us coming into this as novices have a bit of 'frog kissing' to do - experiment is an investment that needs to be made as much as the actual kit is.

bms
15-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I bought the ink from love cut but they don't seem to be listed on the reseller list I was going to try the d120 profile. Have I made a big mistake buying from where I did and where do I go from here. I'm going to try a trial run tomorrow evening ..

Lovecut are not licensed to sell sublimation ink so they shouldn't be selling any sublimation ink at all.

avfcvillan
15-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Had I known this I wouldn't have bought from them but this is now where I am so i'll try some experimenting and when I come to resupply i'll definitely
know better

bms
16-06-2011, 07:56 AM
What's confusing is that VisiSub ink is a licensed ink from Sawgrass so they must have a source for this ink. There's nothing wrong with VisiSub ink as it is just new brand name someone is trying to create for Artainiun ink.

y30man5
16-06-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't know if it will help... but I was running an Epson SX218 for a little while (with Artainium inks) and that seemed to work well with the profile for the B40W... only problem for me was that the print head clogged up in no time at all! Couldn't clear it even with magic bullet. My inks were nearly out anyway so I've now got a Ricoh.

avfcvillan
16-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for info re the b40w do you know where i can get this from please.

bms
16-06-2011, 09:42 PM
The B40W has been discontinued from Epson for several months now - probably best to start searching on Ebay.

avfcvillan
16-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Sorry I meant the ICC not the printer .I need to start somewhere as from what I've read on here without some sort of profile I will end up with a complete disaster

bms
16-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Sorry I meant the ICC not the printer .I need to start somewhere as from what I've read on here without some sort of profile I will end up with a complete disaster

Artainium profiles are available here...
http://www.sawgrasseurope.com/technical-support/artainium/icc-profiles