PDA

View Full Version : Polymer Mugs Press setting

boristrump
18-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I thought i should start an new thread on Mug Press setting
given that from Sun-Fly webpage for polymer Mug setting is Temp 330F Timing 40 seconds.
from BSM heat pressing Polymer mug is ( Recommend temp and time with our DF1, DF12 and DF14 mug presses 125 degrees idle temp, 170 degrees operating temp, 90 seconds. With other mug presses we would suggest 170 degrees for 150 seconds. )
can anyone doing polymer mugs please post their heat press setting they use for successfully
this would give anyone attempting to start on polymer mug for the first time and would need an sort of bench mark to work from i think this would be an good post to read here for polymer user's.
i think the BSM suggesting for other heat press's is to high 170deg c for 150 sec if your blacks have a slight green then you know its to high.
ok i've started the ball rolling lets hear other comments
remember this The PolySub mug heats up faster than a ceramic mug as it is one-third the weight of a ceramic mug. In general, the time to sublimate a PolySub mug is less than a ceramic mug.

bms
18-06-2011, 06:37 PM
We've used these settings and it worked. One of our customers also used these settings with their mug press and it worked. Urmmm, maybe the settings work?

Not sure about the settings the driving school use though! :)

boristrump
18-06-2011, 07:03 PM
thanks Martin for posting im just curious as to sun-fly setting seem so short to say the least i would like to hear from others if you don't mind martin sometimes we learn more from others here sometimes, great place to come to now again :)

bms
18-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes that's fine. Personally though unless you want to experiment and throw mugs away if they don't work I doubt too many are going to experiment with too many other settings. The transfers may well work at a lower time as the item does need such a long time to heat up, so in theory a shorter time would work.

AdamB
18-06-2011, 10:56 PM
I listed my settings here: http://www.dyesubforum.co.uk/vbforum/showthread.php?2602-polymer-mugs-first-review!!!

:-)

barryslip
19-06-2011, 12:08 AM
I used Martin's suggested settings and find they are sufficient!

theemmanewman
12-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Would appreciate some advice on settings / pressure please with the polymer mugs. I have tried Martin's suggested settings and I am getting colours that are great but not the image sharpness that I get usually, everything just looks vaguely out of focus. Not so much that the picture can't be seen but definitely not sharp. Would it be more likely that is caused by pressure being too great / small or time too long / short??? Or temperature?

Ian M
12-08-2011, 08:19 PM
The polymer mugs I tried were a disaster as I was always getting a shadow when I took the transfer paper off.

theemmanewman
12-08-2011, 09:20 PM
At least if mine were a disaster I could just give up, but I gave one to someone today, a person who has been seeing all my other stuff for the last two years and her comment was "it's ok you can see what the picture is but it is not as good as the others" so it is just the clarity that is lacking.

bms
13-08-2011, 08:39 AM
The temp will be correct so the only factor could be the time and the release of ink. Are you using a good quality paper? If so then I would reduce the time. With our DF1 we had perfect crisp results at the time we suggest. Assuming you have a different mug press then try a time of just 90 - 100 seconds as a 'blurring' of an image can be down to too long a time of sublimation as the inks continue to gas into the product and hit over saturation.