PDA

View Full Version : Burning and smudging/bleeding and latte mugs

chucky
18-06-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi, I am totally new to mug sub. I bought a 5 in 1 machine, after a week of getting things right I can actually print something now. It been 1 step forward athen 2 steps back.

printed my first mug at 190c and 200 seconds ( as recomended). The paper came out burnt and the image and text came out yellow/brown and the text all yucky. popped it on the room temp water and it went crack but can't see a crack.

So then did a new mug at 180c 180 seconds, same thing come out burnt looking but I didn't put it in water but still came out sumdged/bleeding.

I didn't put a teflon paper around it as the instruction video man didn't.

Also the latte mug keeps slipping out of its holder when it warms up, so then I have to try and hold it in while it cooks.

So any suggestions would be great.

dj_doubler
19-06-2011, 12:04 AM
@Chucky can you tell us a couple of things...

1. What mug press are you using?
2. what inks are you using?

This will help us advise you... to me it looks like you are cooking for too long...

Anthony

purpledragon
19-06-2011, 12:33 AM
id say either too long or too hot or a combination of both also not enough pressure on the press its a bit oif trial n error you need before you crack it.(no pun intended)

smitch6
19-06-2011, 01:33 AM
the latte's are a pain to do and if i rem rightly a few ppl have commented about them before saying they had to hold them in cos they slip

i know i always have to physically hold them in the wrap or they go shooting out like a cork lol
they look good when done but really hard work i have half a box in the garage and NO latte mugs on my website now lol

mrs maggot
19-06-2011, 07:58 AM
are you taping the paper on well enough and tight enough ??

chucky
19-06-2011, 08:33 AM
its a max armour 5 in 1, so it has an attachment for the mug.
I am using Visi-Sub Sublimation Ink
I am scared to make it tighter in case it smashes

chucky
19-06-2011, 09:12 AM
dumb question but is the sub paper supposed to burn
I am getting a white fuzzy type coating over my image. If you run your fingers over the image its rough.

chucky
19-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I think I have solved some problems, I set the machine to 150c and for 3 minutes, nuch better finsh. no burning.

But now I have another problem, I did a colour check, the colours that come out ontonthe mug are nothing like the original. They seem to be darker.
Then I did one of my daughter riding her horse, her horse is very dark and can't see much definition, then this mug had some fading as it was close to the top and the stupid mug slipped out.

JSR
19-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Where did you get your latte mugs from?

I've found on colour-change mugs that I have to reduce the temperature a lot just to avoid it turning yellow. Regular white dishwasher-safe mugs with RN or Orca coatings can take a much higher temperature and don't react in this way.

Maybe the yellowing is due to the mug coating, rather than anything else you're doing? If so, that might also cause your lack of definition on the print. (I don't do latte mugs, so I can't really help beyond this.)

chucky
19-06-2011, 01:07 PM
I noticed that if the paper wasn't burnt the mug didn't go yellow, the mugs I got are from picture perfect products, not sure of the coating.

I don't think I will buy latte mugs again even though I love them.
Thats interesting to know JSR

I did a search on this forum and someone else finds that PSE prints darker than corel draw, unfortunately I don't have corel draw to compare. I will wait to see what the guy says who I bought my gear from about the colour

JSR
19-06-2011, 01:40 PM
the mugs I got are from picture perfect products, not sure of the coating.
Their website doesn't mention the coating, so it's difficult to pin down if that's the issue.

Andrew
20-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Sounds like your press temp is inaccurate and hotter than the actual reading. The whiteish, rough effect sounds like you are melting the polyester mug coating with to much heat which would also explain some of the other effects. If the paper is very scorched around the body then this will confirm that.

chucky
20-06-2011, 10:28 AM
would this be dumb to do, could you get a kitchen thermometer and take the temp of the heat press

Paul
20-06-2011, 11:15 AM
can you tell me what paper you used for your latte mugs? and are you sure you print on coated side??

chucky
20-06-2011, 11:49 AM
can't tell you what brand but I got it from the same place as i got the mugs, and I printed on the white side.

I think I have got the pressing sorted but having trouble with the colours

swimwivsquid
21-06-2011, 02:00 AM
would this be dumb to do, could you get a kitchen thermometer and take the temp of the heat press

Very sensible suggestion. I always have a thermometer in the oven that I use for subbing as the temp dial is way out most of the time. At least make sure that the press is calibrated right then thats one factor out of the equation.