PDA

View Full Version : wireless dongles

smitch6
20-06-2011, 10:11 PM
It looks like i might have to move my boat so will loose my wifi connection :frown:

i have a 3 dongle that i used to use but wasn't keen on the speed
does anyone use a dongle and if so what 1 and what cost speed limits etc pls

i'll prob need 2 as the wife uses her lappy but not as much as me, mine is on 24/7

Lee
20-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I have an orange dongle, signal has historically been good, but since they took over t-mobile (I think) the signal strength on my mobile has got worse - not sure what its like on the dongle as I dont use it alot... I use laptop alot and never experienced any limitations with it....

Draner
21-06-2011, 12:24 AM
you will often get the best speed results if you buy one that matches the router, other than that just about any N type should do the job

Stitch Up
25-06-2011, 04:38 PM
If you get the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the latest contract from 3, you can 'tether' your PC to it and enjoy unlimited internet! I think they market it with the words "All you can eat". There is NO 'fair usage' policy and NO restrictions on 'tethering'. I needed to confirm this so posted on an independent Three forum, you can find the thread here: http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?p=462709#post462709

Of course, you don't have to go for the Samsung, I just mentioned that as I'm looking at it presently.

djhutton
27-06-2011, 09:08 AM
I had an O2 dongle from Business Mobiles for a three year contract. Reception wasn't great in the office (but that's covered by bt broadband) but in a good O2 signal area then no problem. Seemed pretty quick and worked well. Good news is it was only £3 + vat per month. The dongle is still here if you want it foc (going for about a tenner on ebay) but you'd have to get an O2 card on PAYG or contract.

I recently saw that you can get a dongle that will create a wireless access point so more than one user can connect, might be worth considering for your 'base'. (its probably not new but I hadn't seen it before)

The tethering option is worth considering if you can get it free. I contacted Orange to enquire about enable tethering on my iphone and it sounds like a fiver contract would last a few minutes, so knocked that idea on the head. Apparently it's always on when you are connected, so its like continually downloading data, rather different to a standard 3g or broadband package. I don't know if other suppliers are the same though. I believe the android phone can be used for tethering free so worth looking into before going the dongle route.

DJ

smitch6
27-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the info chaps :)
i'll defo look into the all you can eat thing
and the o2 i have heard of your with them you can connect to bt hotspots free so i'll look into that also :)

i have 1 month to get it sorted :~ lol

John G
27-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Are you sure it was only £3 per month - had a look at 02 and it looks like over £10.00 per month for 1gb

Lee
27-06-2011, 10:34 AM
If you get the Samsung Galaxy S2 with the latest contract from 3, you can 'tether' your PC to it and enjoy unlimited internet! I think they market it with the words "All you can eat". There is NO 'fair usage' policy and NO restrictions on 'tethering'. I needed to confirm this so posted on an independent Three forum, you can find the thread here: http://www.3g.co.uk/3GForum/showthread.php?p=462709#post462709

Of course, you don't have to go for the Samsung, I just mentioned that as I'm looking at it presently.

I had a "3" mobile contract once.....biggest MISTAKE of my life! Practically non-existent coverage, plus shocking customer service - hence my speedy return with cap in hand to orange! Just my opinion...

draig
27-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Daft question here, I have a wireless dongle for use when in Sweden (bought overthere and on Telenor network), can I put a UK network sim in and use it overhere?

Stitch Up
27-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I just typed a very lengthy reply and lost the lot because I clicked the wrong <Reply to Thread> button AGAIN!

I can't be bothered to re-type.

djhutton
28-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Are you sure it was only £3 per month - had a look at 02 and it looks like over £10.00 per month for 1gb

Yes I am sure, £3.00 was the net amount after discounts from the company who supplied it, much like the unlimited iphone contract I have with them on tmobile which nets out at £15 per month. If you are a limited company then you can get some good deals from these guys.

And yes it's correct - you can log onto bt hots spots. The dongle software lists where the nearest are and it will also pick up the btfon ones, so you can borrow someone elses if you in the vicinity.

DJ

AdamB
29-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I just typed a very lengthy reply and lost the lot because I clicked the wrong <Reply to Thread> button AGAIN!

I can't be bothered to re-type.

The times I have also done that John! (I reckon I do it as I am a member of a few more forums and their button is in a different place, so I move my mouse to the position that I normally post and BAM .......... wrong forum, info deleted, no undo, no back button - B@LLOCKS!)

JSR
29-06-2011, 05:39 PM
The times I have also done that John! (I reckon I do it as I am a member of a few more forums and their button is in a different place, so I move my mouse to the position that I normally post and BAM .......... wrong forum, info deleted, no undo, no back button - B@LLOCKS!)

If I'm writing a long post, I've got into the habit of typing it in Notepad first and then copy&paste it into the reply box when it's ready. Lost too many posts in my time! :frown: