PDA

View Full Version : Vw camper van artwork

JOSI74
21-06-2011, 10:35 PM
good evening all, i am after some VW camper van designs, been on the web but they do not come out very good,any ideas thank you

mrs maggot
22-06-2011, 09:09 AM
be very very very careful with VW images, they will get you to court quicker than anything esp if you have the VW logo on the bonnet. they are one of the most protective companies around, and are often to be found at the VW festivals

Justin
22-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Are you looking more for designs to go onto the VW rather than images of a VW?

JOSI74
25-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi both really any ideas. also where does everyone get there artwork from i.e. pop stars, cartoons etc

mrs maggot
26-06-2011, 06:55 PM
are you looking to sell licenced artwork ?? or just the ebay/quick sell band waggon - as discussed on here frequently ? using pop stars and licenced cartoon images without permission - will if caught get you in a lot of hot water

Paul
26-06-2011, 07:55 PM
as mrs maggot said. if you want to sell cartoons haracters etc go to this link (https://www.disneyconsumerproducts.com/Home/display.jsp?contentId=dcp_home_help_help_become_li censee_en&forPrint=false&language=en&preview=false&region=0) and they will provide you with artwork etc.

mrs maggot
28-06-2011, 12:42 PM
i will clarify as much as i know all though others on here know far more than me, you cannot print an image onto something that you dont own the rights to - even if you took a photo of say Elton John in the street - you dont own the right to that image for commercial purposes - Elton John does, whilst you might put the photo in your album, or even on facebook - you cannot use that photo for commercial gain - there must be a way round that when people sell the photo to newspapers but like i say i dont know everything.

there are people who use images they are not allowed to on their goods on auction sites and alike - they know the risks in general, and if you have a read of a few of the posts here, you will see that people have been taken to court and fined for it.

So if you have just bought your equipment with the hope of putting VW & cartoon characters on it, then you will need to think of a different venture.

JOSI74
09-07-2011, 01:47 AM
thank you for all your comments, after alot of thinking i have gone down the route of having my own licence to produce VW other types of vehicles trucks etc pop stars and cartoon images, so now i can manufacture sell and advertise all of these items and not get into any trouble, its going really well. it was worth the money :)

Matt Quinn
09-07-2011, 08:30 AM
- even if you took a photo of say Elton John in the street - you dont own the right to that image for commercial purposes - Elton John does,

- Actually, if it was in the street you could. It's a public place with no reasonable expectation of privacy.

If you were at a concert, festival, book-signing or whatever that took place on privately owned ground (even though the public are freely admitted) it's a different kettle of fish as 'no comercial photography' is likely to be a condition of entry. - You could be sued for breach of contract. Although you still own the photograph!

As for a one-stop 'catch all' licence - Never heard of such a thing in 32 years working in the media! Packages of images CAN be bought as can group licences for certain things! - Be aware that people have got into serious trouble using 'licenced' material that wasn't properly structured.

- Just because one person re-produced a (say) 'VW logo themselves and owns the copyright to THAT version DOESN'T give them the right to sell-on a licence to use it! - The reason being that their own version was in itself an infringement and it creates a new infringment every time it is reproduced.

I've seen discs of so-called 'copyright free' (there is NO SUCH THING as copyright free!) images that supposedly contain various images that I know for a fact should be licenced - Invariably these seem to be reproductions which are in themselves illegal.

John G
09-07-2011, 09:30 AM
[QUOTE][so now i can manufacture sell and advertise all of these items and not get into any trouble, its going really well. it was worth the money :)/QUOTE]

It will be going well until the letter from VW lands on the doorstep, :biggrin: that is unless you have contacted VW directly, and bought a licence off them. This would be many many thousands and I would think need a solicitor to set it all up making selling printed mugs unfeasible.

As Matt said, these discs saying royalty free are in fact a load of rubbish.:biggrin: good luck :cool:

accdave
09-07-2011, 09:36 AM
People on here are always asking about where to obtain licences for various photo's/drawings. Can you tell us where you got it from and how much they cost.

Stitch Up
09-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Good 'wind-up'. :)

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
i will clarify as much as i know all though others on here know far more than me, you cannot print an image onto something that you dont own the rights to - even if you took a photo of say Elton John in the street - you dont own the right to that image for commercial purposes - Elton John does, whilst you might put the photo in your album, or even on facebook - you cannot use that photo for commercial gain - there must be a way round that when people sell the photo to newspapers but like i say i dont know everything.

there are people who use images they are not allowed to on their goods on auction sites and alike - they know the risks in general, and if you have a read of a few of the posts here, you will see that people have been taken to court and fined for it.

So if you have just bought your equipment with the hope of putting VW & cartoon characters on it, then you will need to think of a different venture.

Your correct that you can't print an image with out permission from the copyright owner for commercial gain, not even for personal gain really. If you take the photograph (in a public place) or draw the artwork then you are the copyright owner and you can do as you wish with it for personal or commercial gain. Even on private land there is very little anyone can do to stop you from selling a photograph as you are still the owner of the copyright even if you weren't allowed to take it, so you could effectively be sued for it.

Kaz
11-08-2011, 04:58 PM
thank you for all your comments, after alot of thinking i have gone down the route of having my own licence to produce VW other types of vehicles trucks etc pop stars and cartoon images, so now i can manufacture sell and advertise all of these items and not get into any trouble, its going really well. it was worth the money :)

I find it strange that you managed to obtain so many different licences in such a short space of time.

Can you let us know where you obtained them from please?

Thanks

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
I find it strange that you managed to obtain so many different licences in such a short space of time.

Thanks

I'd be interested to know aswell. I have only applied for a couple of licenses and the costs were astronomical, I would have to have sold thousands before I could even look at making any profit. They usually take weeks to get back to you aswell.

Matt Quinn
11-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Even on private land there is very little anyone can do to stop you from selling a photograph as you are still the owner of the copyright even if you weren't allowed to take it, so you could effectively be sued for it.

Actually such cases are routinely pursued as either breach of contract or in certain circumstances damages as part of a civil trespass action. And in situations where the suject DOES in legal terms have a reasonable expectation of privacy a whole can of worms can be explored...

Personally I do not for one second believe that JOS174 has the blanket licenses they claim; to obtain these would in my opinion (and professional experience) cost several tens of thousands of pounds- and it seems an absolutely ridiculous thing to say!

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Actually such cases are routinely pursued as either breach of contract or in certain circumstances damages as part of a civil trespass action. And in situations where the suject DOES in legal terms have a reasonable expectation of privacy a whole can of worms can be explored...

Personally I do not for one second believe that JOS174 has the blanket licenses they claim; to obtain these would in my opinion (and professional experience) cost several tens of thousands of pounds- and it seems an absolutely ridiculous thing to say!

Thats why I added you could be sued for it or a civil claim for trespass aswell, although the tresspass is unlikely if you were there with a ticket or invitation, breach of contract would also be a toughie unless it was clearly stated on your ticket/invitation. Its only ever likely to happen with a celebrity though. Out in the street you can snap and sell what ever you like in reality. Each case would have to be looked at in its individual case. Taking of photo of elton whilst in his home is going to be different to taking one at a concert where they have stipulated no cameras. Although in reality the price you got the photo of elton at home would outweigh the court case cost lol.

I do agree JOS174 is unlikely to have got a blanket license like they claim, especially in the time frame they have mentioned. If they have then its not for major marks like disney/VW as they want to know everything about your business before they will even talk to you, even then they still want more information lol

Paul
11-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Thanks

lol!!! that's good windup too :)

Matt Quinn
11-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Thats why I added you could be sued for it or a civil claim for trespass aswell, although the tresspass is unlikely if you were there with a ticket or invitation, breach of contract would also be a toughie unless it was clearly stated on your ticket/invitation. Its only ever likely to happen with a celebrity though. Out in the street you can snap and sell what ever you like in reality. Each case would have to be looked at in its individual case. Taking of photo of elton whilst in his home is going to be different to taking one at a concert where they have stipulated no cameras. Although in reality the price you got the photo of elton at home would outweigh the court case cost lol.

I do agree JOS174 is unlikely to have got a blanket license like they claim, especially in the time frame they have mentioned. If they have then its not for major marks like disney/VW as they want to know everything about your business before they will even talk to you, even then they still want more information lol

Summat must have went wrong and the end of your post got snipped mate...

Trust me; I actually lecture in this subject... Media Law... You'd be astonished how 'nailed down' a lot of things are.

Breach of contract isn't remotely tough to chase; and IS routinely used. On a ticket all they need to do is print something loose saying the entry is subject to the company's standard terms and conditions and include the restrictions there. These days usually buried on a website somewhere.

Even without a written contract - shopping malls for instance; the public are generally allowed in without tickets or any formalities. But you'll find that when you enter the venue you also enter into a contract that says you accept the conditions of entry. Quite often what appear to be public streets turn out to be private ground...

Even some press invites are very restrictive let alone tickets; in professional circles 'rights grabs' are becoming an additonal issue. I turned down invites to 'T in the park' this year because basically though I could have filmed what I liked I'd have needed to hand the footage over to the promoters for now't much more than a credit and a friendly wave!

- NOT being a college kid desperate for the exposure I laughed quite loudly in their faces...

And personally; I'd not like to discover what journey Sir Reg's lawyers would take me down. You hear all these daft stories about 'Paps' growing rich on mega-payouts from the redtops - having held a UK press card for some 32 years now I personally know no-one who in reality is in that position. You only make real money out of repeat licencing of 'hot' images over a period of time... And usually when you hear these big numbers being quoted for images they're either coming from utter fantasists or grossy over-stated.

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I'm not disputing that breach of contract isn't hard to chase what I am saying is that unless its some big celebrity or the promoter has most avenues tied up its rarely chased as its rarely worth it for the average Joe.

Anyway this is off topic now and personally it doesn't effect my copyright as I don't tog stroppy over paid celebs so I don't have very many people trying to claim ownership over my copyright lol.

Matt Quinn
11-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm not disputing that breach of contract isn't hard to chase what I am saying is that unless its some big celebrity or the promoter has most avenues tied up its rarely chased as its rarely worth it for the average Joe.

Anyway this is off topic now and personally it doesn't effect my copyright as I don't tog stroppy over paid celebs so I don't have very many people trying to claim ownership over my copyright lol.

Well it's not far off topic - And one of the healthy things about this forum is that topics evolve and expand to give readers a broad perspective.

One of the things I often have to shake out of the minds of students is that promoters and rights holders won't bother with them because they're small fry - Fact is that as artefacts become easier to produce and distribute promoters and rights holders are becoming ever-more litigeous. And quite often 'Joe Average' is an easy target to make an example of.

And they do, I assure you, routinely utilise many different aspects of the law to secure their rights. It's not diffiuclt or expensive for them as invariably they present people with a watertight case that, being undefendable, won't get as far as the court.

There is a huge danger in things that are half-understood... I don't think these things actuall affects any serious-minded person here as this forum tends to be inhabited by people who pursue very high levels of professionalism.

Let's call it a hypothetical discussion for the benefit of those who don't dare take part in it... :wink:

Lee
13-08-2011, 10:03 PM
soooo anyway.............has anyone heard from JOS174?