PDA

View Full Version : Photo onto a cake

Justin
23-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Does anyone print using the edible inks? Customer has asked for a cake to be printed with a photo (may make a mess of the press!)

phoenixalpha
23-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Its incredibly easy - I do it all the time - edible ink & canon printer with icing paper - fab reproduction - ok it's not gonna be as clear as a mug for example but it's pretty good and a heckuva lot better than the local tesco/asda etc.

Just like printing with a normal printer except on to icing.

Justin
23-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Is it something that you could do and post to me? Not sure how feasible that would be, if so please PM me with costs :-)

phoenixalpha
23-06-2011, 08:04 PM
What size and shape of cake?

bms
23-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Does anyone print using the edible inks? Customer has asked for a cake to be printed with a photo (may make a mess of the press!)

You'd be very surprised to know of how many people do sublimation printing AND edible printing. There's a huge number doing them separately but a lot that do both!

Justin
23-06-2011, 09:43 PM
What size and shape of cake?

They're making a cake 8"x8". They've ordered the rice paper for some strange reason, I've said there's no need. Let me know the max. dimensions and price, I'll see if they're interested :-)

JSR
24-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Don't you have to abide by some food standards regulation if you're selling edible foodstuffs like this?

bms
24-06-2011, 07:43 AM
All our edible inks and papers are EU approved. After that it's down to next part of the production chain, schools, bakery companies, etc for them to adhere to the appropriate hygiene standards.

JSR
24-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Do you provide documentation to this effect?

And do we (the people that do the printing) need to follow certain regulations?

I ask becaus I've long been interested in your edible inks, but I've always presumed that anyone dealing with foodstuffs would need to follow some regulations from the Food Standards Agency or whatever it's called.

After all, even if you do provide documentation for the inks, I wouldn't want to be buying a printed cake from someone who's assembled it in some oily garage with dirty printers and rust.

Where do we stand on all that?

bms
24-06-2011, 10:40 PM
We have the documentation online. Certificates and edible ink ingredients - all in the edible ink section or type certificate in the search box. As for the end user we have no control over that - it is their responsibility to act in accordance with the prevailing legislation (just as dyesubbers act in accordance with copyright - the same applies to cake printing plus hygene).

Justin
24-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Sterilising print heads? Canon have a big disclaimer on their website saying they don't suggest using the inks but I guess they would as they don't make any money from them!

^Phoenixalpha - PM me with prices when you get 5 mins, cheers :-)

JSR
24-06-2011, 11:17 PM
As for the end user we have no control over that - it is their responsibility to act in accordance with the prevailing legislation (just as dyesubbers act in accordance with copyright - the same applies to cake printing plus hygene).
Hmm, I wonder how many people actually do?

It's not knowing the regulations that's prevented me buying into this from you, even though I've always wanted to do it. Given what we know about dye-subbing, there are doubtless a whole bunch of people out there who just "do it on the cheap" and buy the inks and sell regardless of the regulations.

The difference between "dye subbers and copyright" and "edible inkers and hygiene" is that infringing copyright won't kill anyone.

bms
25-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Sterilising print heads? Canon have a big disclaimer on their website saying they don't suggest using the inks but I guess they would as they don't make any money from them!

Naturally. Canon don't recommend using any inks apart from Canon inks! Same applies to all the other printer manufacturers for exactly that reason.

The difference between "dye subbers and copyright" and "edible inkers and hygiene" is that infringing copyright won't kill anyone.

Sorry, I meant copyright applies to dye subbers as well as edible printer(er)s . I used to know a family that produced sandwiches for selling of the back of a van around business and they had to ensure general good hygiene conditions, such as clean areas, gloves for handling food stuffs etc. I think common sense prevails in this area, but I know from some of the larger food companies that Trading Standards keep a watchful eye on ingredients and I'm sure there is official red tape somewhere.

smitch6
25-06-2011, 08:16 AM
i think like all food preparers you'd need a basic food hygiene certificate
(although you can get them on-line and they are legal for around £25 :~)

Stitch Up
25-06-2011, 10:12 AM
i think like all food preparers you'd need a basic food hygiene certificate
(although you can get them on-line and they are legal for around £25 :~)

If you got a good printer you could do it 'Del-Boy' style and print your own certificate. I am joking okay :)

Justin
25-06-2011, 09:17 PM
This customer has now turned round to me and said they ordered off eBay, took delivery today. I'm bloody fuming. I won't apologise for wasting anyones time as it isn't my fault ;-) Made for an interesting discussion that I think could do with further thought.

AdamB
25-06-2011, 10:31 PM
This customer has now turned round to me and said they ordered off eBay, took delivery today. I'm bloody fuming.

I had something like that a few weeks ago Justin, a group wanted a specific t-shirt that required me to bring in some extra stuff to do it, they wanted 4 or 5 in total - it was worth getting in the stuff so I could see it work etc. Then after getting it all in only one of the group came back and said that the others didn't want it (but she did) and I have since found out that the others purchased what they wanted from ebay ................ with hen/stag/event t-shirts etc now I always take a deposit to cover the stuff coming in and then they clear the rest on completion.

Justin
25-06-2011, 10:42 PM
At least it was just time I wasted on this one, not money.