PDA

View Full Version : B1100 won't turn on????

smitch6
27-06-2011, 09:56 AM
typical why do things always go wrong when you get an order??????

i just went to turn my epsom B1100 on to print an order out and it won't power on at all?????

yes i changed the fuse in the plug for one i know is good :)

anyone got any ideas pls ????????

Matt Quinn
27-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm assuming the machine has an internal power supply? i.e. the mains lead plugs straight in to it?

1) Try another mains lead (preferably off something known to work) - Or try the printer's lead on something else.

2) Test the socket by plugging something else in to it

Failing that it's an internal issue - possibly as simple as a fuse - but you need the help of somone who knows a bit about electronic repairs; fuses generally fail for a reason.

IF the machine has an external Power supply try and borrow one from somewhere and substitute that.

smitch6
27-06-2011, 10:25 AM
tried both them things :(
dif lead and tested the socket it's a bog standard twin wired lead the type that we used to use on cassette players (i'm showing my age now lol)

gstk
27-06-2011, 11:19 AM
with the power lead out - hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then try. If still no luck plug the lead back in and hold the on button down and the paper feed at the same time. Sometimes works and doesnt cost anything to try.

smitch6
27-06-2011, 11:25 AM
tried that :(
just tried connecting to the printer utility to see if there's anything there at all and it doesn't connect to that either so there's defo no power in the unit

i am hoping it's an internal fuse somewhere but how on earth do you get into these things lol

R.Prints
27-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Got myself a B1100 recently so nothing I can tell you, but am interested in what you find out for future incase I end up with same problem. Good luck.

smitch6
27-06-2011, 12:30 PM
i managed to get it stripped out lol bits everywhere (they don't make these things easy do they? )
i have found the internal fuse thats ok and i touched a bit on the board and it gave me 1 hell of a shock so it's holding the power within the transformer thing lol (and yes it was unplugged :P )

i've checked the board for connectivity etc and dry joints and everything seems ok so i reckon it's on the other board which is the low voltage side which has loads of terminals and connectors etc on

so anyone wanna buy an epson B1100 in bits for spares? :(
even got a near enough full bulk feed system for it

Paul
27-06-2011, 12:37 PM
why do you want to sell ink with it? would not be any more sense to connect to your new printer?? You can get brand new one here (http://www.digital-fusion.co.uk/Inu_products/INU_ProdDetailsL9.asp?ref=19258882) for under £150. you can sell oryginal carts and it will cost you even less ;) so you get brand new printer with 12mc warranty...

smitch6
27-06-2011, 12:44 PM
but as soon as you install sub system the warranty is void :(

Paul
27-06-2011, 12:51 PM
only if you tell them ;) if you return printer with oryginal carts instaled it should not make any diference. fair play if heads are knockered but i am preety sure that type of ink has nothing to do with power system :)

edit:

any way... where did you bought your ink from??? if you use sawgrass then they may be able to help you as you use suported ink and printer :D

JSR
27-06-2011, 01:11 PM
but as soon as you install sub system the warranty is void :(

Only if the fault is caused by the ink. It sounds like your printer was shorting out somewhere. If that had nothing to do with the ink, they couldn't use ink as an excuse to not fix it.

However, since you've disassembled it, you've voided the warranty anyway so it's a bit of a moot point.

As Paul says - keep the ink. Stick the rest on ebay for nothing+delivery stating it's for spares and see what you get for it. Some idiot will buy it! :biggrin::biggrin:

smitch6
27-06-2011, 01:26 PM
i bought it second hand anyway so there was no warranty with it
it's been a great machine up until this morning :(
i'm now putting it all back together who knows it may work lol

gorgall2
27-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Good luck

Gordon

Paul
27-06-2011, 01:57 PM
As Paul says - keep the ink. Stick the rest on ebay for nothing+delivery stating it's for spares and see what you get for it. Some idiot will buy it! :biggrin::biggrin:

I did not mean to sell for spares on ebay. I said to sell oryginal ink ;)

Matt Quinn
27-06-2011, 02:00 PM
i have found the internal fuse thats ok and i touched a bit on the board and it gave me 1 hell of a shock so it's holding the power within the transformer thing lol (and yes it was unplugged :P )

Aye... <sigh> that'll happen... :smile: I discovered this at the age of about 11or 12 when someone gave me an old telly to play with. - A Rank A774 - Which I DID get working... :smile:

It's possibly a switch-mode power supply rather than a transformer. You got a belt because the capacitors were charged. BUT... At the risk of sounding patronisisng (not my intention) there was a reason I didn't suggest opening it up... :rolleyes:

I take it you checked the internal fuse with a meter rather than just visually? They often don't actually look 'blown'.

Also, there may be more than one of them...

TO investigate this further you would really need to know what voltages should be where; and possible be able to do board-level replacements. Dry joints often aren't as obvious on this type of equipment as they were in the era of discreet components (i.e. cassette recorders ;-) - Yes; I'm that old too!) and really a hunt for them involves reflowing specific areas...

Life being toooooo short...

Personally I'd buy another identical printer and keep that one for mechanical spares.

smitch6
27-06-2011, 02:05 PM
yes i did check with a meter :)

i've just stuck it all back together and as always i have a screw spare :~ rofl i wonder why that always happens????

and nope it still doesn't work
oh well i noticed someone on here is selling a ricoh set up and someone else wants the press so i've pm'd him with an offer although i can't actually afford anything at the minute due to losing my job and as where we live is part of the job i'm having to move as well and we're off on holiday in 4 weeks rofl

things never happen when you have loads in the bank do they?

smitch6
27-06-2011, 02:08 PM
and to top it off...............
i took the ink system out obviously while i stripped the printer and put it all one the same level on the draining board....
bad move lol so now i have full tanks of most colours apart from the black which has decided to drain itself all over the draining board and down the plug
anything else happen today??????

i have to mend my outboard today but am wondering if i should wait until tomorrow lol

Matt Quinn
27-06-2011, 02:12 PM
things never happen when you have loads in the bank do they?

Dunno:biggrin: that's one of the things than never happens! ;-)

JSR
27-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I did not mean to sell for spares on ebay. I said to sell oryginal ink ;)

Your bit was "keep the ink". I should have separated the other bit into another paragraph. I didn't mean to imply that you said to put it on ebay. Sorry! :redface:

Paul
27-06-2011, 04:49 PM
:) nevermind :)

smitch6
28-06-2011, 08:41 AM
well i have decided to take Paul's advice (i must be mad rofl)
i did think about getting the ricoh for sale on here and did pm them asking for a price but they haven't replied yet, and as i'm in a hurry i needed to know yesterday really.

plus i also thought i have the bulk feed and ink already for the epson and i know the printer it's all set up on my mac and i know it works really well.
so i have just ordered a new b1100 :( £150 near enough :~ ouch

thats some of my holiday spending money gone now and i only had 250 put aside lol

so hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow as it's next day delivery and i can then fulfil the order and get it out in a reasonable time scale

i'll chuck the other one on flebay spares or repairs as someone may know whats wrong or need heads or something :)

Paul
28-06-2011, 10:44 AM
my advice??? Blimey! You must be mad in did! lol :)

smitch6
29-06-2011, 06:26 PM
there's always a problem when you live in the country
amazing how when you order something and pay for next day delivery and you really, really need it that day does the stupid van miraculously breakdown just 10 miles from here, and they won't let you go to the van to collect your parcel as it's against their policy lol

and the depot happens to be about 30 miles away :~

good old city link strikes again