PDA

View Full Version : Glass Etching

jennywren
27-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry I know this topic has been on the forum before but i could not find it, does any one do it and where is the best place to buy it from, I have found couple of sites, but they seem to offer everything else as well, which always makes me nervous, would like to hear from some one that does it.

Mugsman
27-06-2011, 08:33 PM
ive just started doing it and also Fredster does it .
best place to buy stuff already done ?

jennywren
27-06-2011, 08:53 PM
sorry but where is the best place to buy, and how do you find it, what do you recommend.

Justin
27-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Will move this into Misc. Printing section :-)

Bob700
27-06-2011, 10:26 PM
I would have thought pressing a few more keys on the computer to give you the address details would'nt have been so difficult Jenny

fredster
27-06-2011, 10:50 PM
ive been doing it a while what do you want to know?

jennywren
27-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Sorry I must be thick or something do you mean I should have used the advance search, I did do but came up with nothing, I did trawl through loads of of threads, but could find the thread that was done before, not sure if your being rude or I've misunderstand what you mean. I did find a couple of sites for glass etching but was asking for further on advice on if anyone did this and was a worth a punt, and if they could recommend anything. If I have unwittingly offend you sorry. I genuinely did not understand what Mugsman thread meant. This is in reply toBob700

fredster
27-06-2011, 11:04 PM
so youre looking into starting this for yourself jen?

R.Prints
28-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I do basic etching just using a Craft Robo to cut vinyl, then once stuck onto glass etc use Armour Etch Cream to get result. Normally no problems, just make sure the cream doesn't run onto unprotected surface. Good Luck. This link should take you to the supplier I used.
http://hobby.uk.com/glass-craft/glass-etching/glass-etching-cream-90ml.html

JSR
28-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks to Ray for answering Jenny's question. I've been interested in this also - since Home2Gifts sold some of the stuff - but I didn't think it could be as easy as they made out so I didn't explore further.

Looks like the same site does a £15 "starter kit". Might be worth getting that just to see if it's worth exploring further.

John G
28-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi R.Prints - I've never done this before but am interested - do you find the etch cream melts the edges of the vinyl or gets underneath and how long do you leave it on for.

Cheers John

jennywren
28-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the information, i have been looking at a few videos and seems you can cream or sandblast, which would you recommed

Reg
28-06-2011, 03:25 PM
I used to have a blasting business and did a bit of etching as a sideline but since the business went I have bought some etching cream and personally I think that the blasting gives a better finish.

fredster
28-06-2011, 04:23 PM
i use a small compressor and dedicated airbrush to blast the etching..again using robocutter to cut sign vinyl.
i did try the etching cream but i got better results with the airbrush method allbeit its a long process with such a small bottle of compound material..youre forever refilling it.
Have a look on ebay at the airbrush method ..not too expensive and you can also then do airbrushing with tshirt inks :)

GoldRapt
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
I used to have a blasting business

I would love to know everything about that blasting business you had, I own a couple of pots and a PAB gun. Any chance of you "Revealing all" in a PM please? :)

jennywren
08-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I do basic etching just using a Craft Robo to cut vinyl, then once stuck onto glass etc use Armour Etch Cream to get result. Normally no problems, just make sure the cream doesn't run onto unprotected surface. Good Luck. This link should take you to the supplier I used.
http://hobby.uk.com/glass-craft/glass-etching/glass-etching-cream-90ml.html

had a look at the link, i think it would be best if I brought a small kit, with it all together, it also mentions stencils, but could not find them on the sites, sorry to be a pain in the butt

Reg
08-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Goldrapt PM sent Reg

R.Prints
09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Sorry for long waite for responce John. When applying the vinyl you just need to make sure glass is clean and dry, then rub well around edge so no chance of bleeding under edge. Better off covering around required area to mimimize chance off damage. As for better results using different equip that's the same with any process, but for a sideline I find the cream gives good enough results for what I need. Always leave cream on as long as you can to getter better results I find.
Hope that might help someone make their mind up, Good Luck.

pitkin2020
11-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I use the cream aswell, great for small bits you want etching. For anything really large we just use vinyl that looks like its been etched. The cream is really easy to use like ray said just make a stencil with a vinyl cutter and apply the cream. After a while wash the cream off and remove the vinyl.