PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh GXe3300N Borderless Printing Solution

teknokat
29-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I bought the above printer a couple of weeks ago as I'm just starting to get to grips with all this sublimation malarkey! Anyway when I was pressing the medium size place mats & ipad covers from BMS I realised their was little to no room for error when pressing them and with the ipad covers I always got a part of the cover still having a white border due to the printer insisting on leaving a white border round the image no matter how big I made the image. Anyway after searching Google and getting told this printer did not do borderless printing I played with the settings and found a solution so I thought I'd share it with other users of this printer in case they too had the same issue. Anyway rambling over onto the solution.

in the powerdriver settings next to paper size click the '+' button

name the form name anything you want but 'borderless' made sense for me

change units to metric

set the width to 23cm & height to 30cm (i only needed borderless printing in width so you might need to set the height to 32cm if you require borderless printing for the whole A4 sheet)

click add form

click OK to closedown the powerdriver settings and then open the powerdriver settings again and a new paper size will be available called 'borderless'

when you want to print an image make sure the width of the image is at least 21.5cm and ensure you set the paper size to your newly created borderless in the powerdriver settings and it should print to the very edge of the paper.

I'm printing from photoshop so I also unchecked center image and set the top and left position to 0 (zero) and also unchecked scale to fit media

I found by doing this it it printed to the edge which gave me more of a bleed area around the width for the ipad covers so no more white border and more room to manipulate the printed image when printing the medium sized place mats.

I hope this helps someone who was in the same position as me and thanks to everyone for making this such a great forum for beginners like me to start wanting to sublimate anything that moves :biggrin:

Paul
29-06-2011, 06:09 PM
great post ;)

thanks for that!

...and welcome on forum ;P

JSR
29-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Great tip.

Just be a little wary, though. Printers designed for "borderless" have a sponge that runs beneath the carriage for the full width of the printer to "soak up" the ink overspray that's caused by printing borderless. If the Ricoh doesn't have this then any overspray may end up in the wrong place.

John G
29-06-2011, 09:28 PM
It is a good tip but i'd prefer to keep the inside carriage clean as JSR mentioned above

Ian Mc
01-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I'd avoid doing it myself - I've had to clean ink off the belt in my GX7000 in the past. It wasn't an especially fun experience. :/

logobear
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
This is a great tip but I agree that it will give you problems in the future.As soon as you start getting ink in the wrong places everything will be spoilt.For emergency situations you could glue your A4 sheet to a 23cm wide carrier page and let the printer take them both through.

schizowife
11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
ok maybe being a total duh!!!! but i cannot find power driver settings in printing preferences anywhere.

Paul
11-10-2011, 12:54 PM
is not this??
http://www.sawgrassink.com/images/consumer_division/Ricoh_OEM_Print_Pref.png

schizowife
12-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Thankyou Paul, no mine did not look like that as i was using just the driver that came with the ricoh. I have now downoaded the power driver thanks :)

barryslip
12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I've been striggling to get the Ricoh 3300N to print full A4 too, to allow me to print on A4 jigsaws. I can never get it quite right - always a tiny strip of white left on the edge of the jigsaw. It's almost as if the printer can see the edges of the paper even when you try to fool it by selecting a larger paper type.

I contacted Sawgrass yesterday and asked if there was a way around it. They advised that the printer can print "US Legal" paper which is wider and longer than A4 (it measures 8.5" x 14"). So, I cut up a piece of A3 paper to these dimensions and placed it in the paper tray (the tray needs to be extended to fit US Legal paper, but there are 2 plastic lugs on each side allowing you to do this). I opened my A4 template in PhotoShop, dragged the photo in and went to print. In the "Print" screen, I clicked "Page Setup" to open the PowerDriver screen - here I selected Paper Size "Legal". Back in PhotoShop I selected "Centre Image" and de-selected "Scale to fit media".

Hey Presto!!! Out popped a lovely page with an A4 image right in the centre!

OK, it's a whole sheet of A3 required to do this, but the offcuts (used at the start of the process to make a "US Legal" size) are suitable for keyrings and other small items.

I hope that this is helpful to other Ricoh owners!

schizowife
12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Woohoo, thanks Barry, not tried it yet but i'll give it a go!!! See this site is just great for people helping out if they can:smile:

whitesquizzel
07-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks could prove most useful!

whitesquizzel
07-12-2011, 11:14 PM
I have just bought a new Ricoh 330 to replace (well until I have some patience to sort it) a very tempramental and liney Epson 1400. The printer so far is great but I was a little disappointed to find the ricoh added this "border" to everything as I had got it to do placemats and jigsaws as well as the mugs and coasters etc. I have read the options suggested and the one here works but how much damage am I likely to do to my nice new printer if I print in this way ? I have looked into the legal paper size option but I dont seem to be able to adjust the tray to make it fit and dont want to force it and break a new printer.

whitesquizzel
07-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Hi,

I bought the above printer a couple of weeks ago as I'm just starting to get to grips with all this sublimation malarkey! Anyway when I was pressing the medium size place mats & ipad covers from BMS I realised their was little to no room for error when pressing them and with the ipad covers I always got a part of the cover still having a white border due to the printer insisting on leaving a white border round the image no matter how big I made the image. Anyway after searching Google and getting told this printer did not do borderless printing I played with the settings and found a solution so I thought I'd share it with other users of this printer in case they too had the same issue. Anyway rambling over onto the solution.

in the powerdriver settings next to paper size click the '+' button

name the form name anything you want but 'borderless' made sense for me

change units to metric

set the width to 23cm & height to 30cm (i only needed borderless printing in width so you might need to set the height to 32cm if you require borderless printing for the whole A4 sheet)

click add form

click OK to closedown the powerdriver settings and then open the powerdriver settings again and a new paper size will be available called 'borderless'

when you want to print an image make sure the width of the image is at least 21.5cm and ensure you set the paper size to your newly created borderless in the powerdriver settings and it should print to the very edge of the paper.

I'm printing from photoshop so I also unchecked center image and set the top and left position to 0 (zero) and also unchecked scale to fit media

I found by doing this it it printed to the edge which gave me more of a bleed area around the width for the ipad covers so no more white border and more room to manipulate the printed image when printing the medium sized place mats.

I hope this helps someone who was in the same position as me and thanks to everyone for making this such a great forum for beginners like me to start wanting to sublimate anything that moves :biggrin:

Hi thanks for this I have tried it and it works well but am a little concerned about damaging my new printer looking at some of the other comments regarding this method - I would be interested to know how much you use this method and if you think it has created any problems for you thanks :-)

schizowife
07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
I've just had some A3 paper delivered and when i've got time i'm going to cut a sheet or 2 down to A4 legal and try that option as i'm worried about excess ink covering the insides of my printer using the a4 and the borderless settings!! I know the a3 is more expensive and you end up with more waste paper but i'd rather that than damage the Ricoh! I'll wait a while and see how others fair with it first, they're braver than me :wink:

whitesquizzel
07-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I've got the A3 paper as used it on my Epson and have just cut down a sheet but cant seem to get it to fit in the tray without forcing out part of the paper holding mechanism which I am not keen to do incase it breaks - will be interesting to see how you get on with it as maybe its just something I am not doing right - I would prefer this method as have loads of A3 to use up but have had to do a couple using the other method as urgent orders that have been waiting since my Epson went off the rails so am just hoping it hasnt doomed my new printer as well!
I wonder if BMS or someone can buy in the Trupix paper in the A3 legal size to save cutting it down - perhaps if its available in the American market ? Would be a lot less hassle!

JSR
07-12-2011, 11:51 PM
cant seem to get it to fit in the tray without forcing out part of the paper holding mechanism which I am not keen to do incase it breaks - will be interesting to see how you get on with it as maybe its just something I am not doing right
I don't know if it helps you guys, but there's a Conde video on YouTube that introduces this printer and at around the 83s mark, they show how to adjust the tray for legal size paper:

http://youtu.be/mRKm44wso6w?t=1m23s

Skip forward to around 1m 23s for the paper tray bit. Alternatively, click here to go straight to it: http://youtu.be/mRKm44wso6w?t=1m23s

Hope this helps.

teknokat
08-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Hi thanks for this I have tried it and it works well but am a little concerned about damaging my new printer looking at some of the other comments regarding this method - I would be interested to know how much you use this method and if you think it has created any problems for you thanks :-)

I only use this method for printing Ipad sleeves and have only printed around 20-30 so far but I never had a problem with any of them and have printed a few hundred mouse mats since with 'normal' print settings and everything was fine afterwards. If your stuck for printing a large item every now and again then my solution should be fine, if your planning on printing a few hundred using these settings then you might want to consider getting an A3 printer instead but then again it might still be fine with my solution.

whitesquizzel
08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't know if it helps you guys, but there's a Conde video on YouTube that introduces this printer and at around the 83s mark, they show how to adjust the tray for legal size paper:

http://youtu.be/mRKm44wso6w?t=1m23s

Skip forward to around 1m 23s for the paper tray bit. Alternatively, click here to go straight to it: http://youtu.be/mRKm44wso6w?t=1m23s

Hope this helps.

Thanks - very helpful!

whitesquizzel
08-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I only use this method for printing Ipad sleeves and have only printed around 20-30 so far but I never had a problem with any of them and have printed a few hundred mouse mats since with 'normal' print settings and everything was fine afterwards. If your stuck for printing a large item every now and again then my solution should be fine, if your planning on printing a few hundred using these settings then you might want to consider getting an A3 printer instead but then again it might still be fine with my solution.

Thanks - I have an A3 Epson which is tempramental and liney but I hope to get it working again at some point when I have the patience! I bought the A4 Ricoh as couldnt stretch to the A3 version until I have made a few more pennies and needed a backup to the Epson which I cannot rely on. As soon as I have the funds will probably invest in the A3 version with the bypass tray that allows upscale to A3 plus. In the meantime I just wanted to do a few placemats and puzzles etc for xmas so sounds as if either your method (which I have already tried) or the A4 Legal paper size will be good options to tide me over.
Thanks for your help!

barryslip
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Hi again!

I'm having 100% success rate with this so far. I cut an A3 sheet down to 12.5" x 8.4". By cutting down to 12.5" that leaves enough paper for one mug wrap! The 8.4" width allows it to sit in the tray without squashing.

Printing from Photoshop, I select paper type "Legal", untick "Centre image" and put "0" in the "Left Position" field.

It will be printed at the top end of the paper (first edge out) with about 1.5cm left at the bottom (last edge out).

Hope that helps a little more....

whitesquizzel
15-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Hi All

Just a little update on this topic for those of you printing medium size placemats and dont want to cut down A3 paper all the time - I ordered some "Letter" size Trupix paper from the Transfer Press which is 8.5"x11" and printing to this using Powerdriver and selecting Letter size is working well for the medium size placemats even with the Ricoh adding its white border - its still quite precise but there is a small bleed and so far the all the ones I have done have not come out with any white on them.
This should save me having to cut down A3 sheets and also removes the worry of "Overspray" if you remove the border.
Obviously I have only tried this so far on medium placemats so I am not sure how this will work on the Jigsaws / mousemats etc due to the shorter height but definately seems a good option for me on the placemats.
Am hoping that someone will start bringing in the "Legal" size paper which seems to be available in the US as this would be another good option I think.
Anyway hoping the above is of interest to all the Ricoh A4 printer owners :-)

Traynor26
21-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

just to chuck my 2 penniths worth in with this one :-)

I have found a supplier out here in Germany that i get A4+ from, i use this in my Ricoh to print the iPad pouches, and most importantly i can now do the Net Book pouches from BMS.

Just thought id share, Merry Xmas

Lee

http://www.printequipment.de/html/en/article-1-TXPF_.RI_.-TXPF_.RI_.-100000000090103000000090103005000090.html

barryslip
22-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks Lee!

I'll have a search online later, but does anyone know of UK suppliers who stock A4+ ?

Barry

schizowife
22-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Don't think there is Barry, and i have searched!! Maybe a few of our suppliers will read this thread and see that there may be enough interest to get some in stock:rolleyes:

Traynor26
23-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Again,

if there is enough interested, im happy to put an order in at my end and then post to people back there?

Not out to make any money on this, but not looking to loose any either lol

Give me a shout, im paying about €19 for 110 sheets (Plus 19% Mswt (VAT) and delivery to me, then to you etc)

Happy to work out some maths once i know how many people want some.

Lee

barryslip
23-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Lee

I've just been in contact with your supplier and they've quoted me this...

"The price for one pack with 110 sheets is 19,90 €.
The delivery costs for one pack are approx. 16,30 €."

Delivery seems a bit pricey, so I've just emailed back for delivery prices of 5, 10, 20 and 50 packs.

Watch this space...

Traynor26
23-12-2011, 11:12 AM
Ah Nice on Barry :-)

for orders over €150 i get free delivery to my door here in Germany, and i have just weighed one box and it would cost me £3.71 to post a pack back to you guys in the UK. (We have access to a British Post Office out here on camp)

Would be good if a UK supplier could get on board.....Cough Cough Martin :-)