PDA

View Full Version : I'm fuming! (just wanted to get it off my chest) .....

AdamB
11-07-2011, 01:41 PM
So,
as all (may) know we sell personalised gifts and garments plus children's clothes, accessories and fancy dress in our shop.

At Christmas time we had a lady that had bought a Thomas coat and fetched it back into us 6 weeks later as she said there was a problem with it. After asking her what she had done she said she had washed it on a full cycle and then put it into the dryer. Yes, you guessed it the label said not to put the coat in the dryer and especially not to put it on a high spin cycle.

By not following the label - the problem occurred.

We explained that there's not a lot we could do as the fault was hers, but as an act of goodwill we would give her 50% off another coat if she wished to purchase a replacment.

This wasn't good enough, she left and has never been back in.

We often see her out on the street talking to other people, but today I happened to be close by and was amazed when I over heard her telling people that 'we wouldn't change her coat - we were rude - and she would never shop again in our shop'. She told the lady who had just purchased a fancy dress costume to check the labels and the other woman that was with her said that she had bought 'tons' of stuff from us and NEVER had a problem!

It happened so fast and when I was seen and regognised the unhappy lady walked away giving me no chance to ask if there was a problem .....

..... but she passes daily on her daily walk around the charity shops so I may just ask her what her problem is and ask her if she has a solicitor as I don't take too lightly to slander!

Opinions guys please ................ what would you do (I ask this as I don't know how long this has been happening and how many customers we could have had but haven't after she has spoke to them).

Paul
11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
no win situation iam affraid... Is so dificult and it takes so much time to gain respect and good name. but so little to loss it all and only because some silly cow that can not read :(
I would do what you just mentioned. Ask her if she got solicitor coz what she just said is not true and she know that....

AdamB
11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Tell me about it Paul ............... we have taken a long time to build our reputation and customers see this when they shop with us, whether it's a mug or clothing.

To think that someone 'could' be try to ruin this makes my blood boil!

logobear
11-07-2011, 02:35 PM
People like that quickly get reputations as batty old coots......Their words have little value!

AdamB
11-07-2011, 02:45 PM
People like that quickly get reputations as batty old coots......Their words have little value!

That's funny mate, because she has that reputation now and I'm sure that her words have little impact on anyone she has spoken to ................ but, it does make you think when you see someone glance over and walk past if they have been poisoned!

Matt Quinn
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
~Theoretically there may exist the possibility of an action under the defamation act - in reality I can't imagine any Solicitor would advise you to proceed - Though there may be some that would draft a warning letter... Raising an action would probably cost you £10K+ which you may not be able to recover even if you win (she may well not have that sort of money). A lawyer's letter will be £100-£200 - You'd probably need to prove damage to your business...

Life truly is too short to stuff mushrooms! - If she starts to become a real problem maybe consider the lawyer's letter. Don't 'engage' her as there is a danger of your being charged with a breach of the peace if she becomes 'fretful' - You might be acting perfectly reasonably BUT if she's nuts and you wind her up - well...

Likewise; if she is hanging around the shop slandering you; and you can find witnesses (or other evidence) to that effect - you might be rendered 'fearful and alarmed'. - Call the Police and cite the fact that she is behaving in a manner that might cause a breach of the peace.

Best advice though might be to smile sweetly and just keep on walking... Death, taxes and nutters seem to inevitable things you will encounter in life!

Ian M
11-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Adam, I agree with everything Matt says but, I would be tempted at firing a solicitors letter at her if you had her address. I had a similar thing many years ago where someone wrote something not very accurate about me in a car club magazine. I had a word with a friend who is a solicitor & he sent the club a letter & it scared them so much I got a written apology from the club & they also printed one in their next club magazine.

Ian

AdamB
11-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Matt: as always, very in depth and a valued way of putting things in focus - thank you.

Ian: A letter .............. I have had to send the missis home as she was frothing at the mouth! Still, I hope that now she 'knows' that we know what she is doing it may cease - if not we'll see where it takes us! Thank you for the reply mate - appreciated.

mrs maggot
11-07-2011, 03:57 PM
how about a little anocdote story on a sheet of A4 in the shop window, about people who dont read washing labels, and the terror of the tumble dryer - this would hopefully bring a smile to peoples faces, and many of them might know the person in passing who it may or may not have been about, something along the lines of not being able to offer a full laundering service, but should anyone not be able to read the washing instructions you will happily advise them BEFORE they put it in the machine

AdamB
11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
how about a little anocdote story on a sheet of A4 in the shop window, about people who dont read washing labels, and the terror of the tumble dryer - this would hopefully bring a smile to peoples faces, and many of them might know the person in passing who it may or may not have been about, something along the lines of not being able to offer a full laundering service, but should anyone not be able to read the washing instructions you will happily advise them BEFORE they put it in the machine

Like it Laura!

accdave
11-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Was my first thought when I read the opeing post, but I was going to suggest an A1 poster with her photo on warning people to read the labels :)

Matt Quinn
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Was my first thought when I read the opeing post, but I was going to suggest an A1 poster with her photo on warning people to read the labels :)

Public 'advice' perhaps isn't a bad idea... However - 'Naming and Shaming' tactics are EXTREMELY risky! Making it personally directed against an individual could not only cause your integrity and maturity to be called into question but could result in a libel being uttered!

Stitch Up
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Swallow it and move on. Hurts I know but next time you see her, just give her a smile and maybe a wave too, it'll screw her up!

Justin
11-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Maybe a bit late but.....give her a full refund or swap the coat. How much was the coat compared to the loss of business you get from her telling everyone she comes into contact with not to go near you?

I remember when I left college I worked for a well known Jewellers. A lady came in shouting one day and the shop was packed. Folk started to leave due to embarrassment. She was insisting we replace a faulty watch. It was a manufacturer we didn't even deal with, in fact we thought it was bought in Spain! The Manager asked her how much it was worth and gave her the £50 she demanded. Just one sale lost that day could have covered the £50.

Don't get me wrong, you were perfectly right to do what you did but sometimes, maybe just sometime, just have to swallow our pride and do the wrong thing for the right end result!

Matt Quinn
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I remember when I left college I worked for a well known Jewellers. A lady came in shouting one day and the shop was packed. Folk started to leave due to embarrassment. She was insisting we replace a faulty watch. It was a manufacturer we didn't even deal with, in fact we thought it was bought in Spain! The Manager asked her how much it was worth and gave her the £50 she demanded. Just one sale lost that day could have covered the £50.

That was a well-known con in the 80's - And if you fold for it you'll be targeted again and again. Had I been your manager I'd have asked her to leave and if she refused called the police in front of her.

I seriously doubt if there's a business in the land that doesn't have someone bad-mouthing it. But you need to stick to your guns... Be fair, be reasonable. But right is right. If you fold to this woman she'll start dining out on it and you'll have every dodgy Muppet in town trying to pull fast ones.

Justin
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Completley agree but at that precise moment it was better to pay her off never to be seen again. I think her friend had told her she'd bought it as a gift form us when in reality it was an El Cheapo from Spain! lol.

Bob700
11-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Laurs's idea is good, I think that's what I would do