PDA

View Full Version : Advice on first mug printing set up please!

SciArtImages
12-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi all,
I am looking to buy myself some kit to start printing mugs from some of my designs, and would appreciate any advice or tips. I have already trawled the forum and so hopefully I have gained some info already.

So what I am thinking of buying is:
Halogen oven (The reason I am veering towards a halogen oven is that I would like to print as close to the handle as possible, and I will not be doing one-offs so will be able to fill the oven.);
80mm mug wraps (from thetransferpress - the clamps on these look fairly easy to use hot?);
Ricoh GXe3300 A4 printer (as I will likely be leaving it idle for some time between batches);
European RN coated mugs;
Trupix paper;
Heat tape;
Mug packaging.
Any thoughts on these would be appreciated - and also is there anything else I have forgotten that I would need to get started? I'd rather get everything I need to start with.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Neil.

John G
12-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Just had a look at your site - some fantastic images there!

I think you've got a good shopping list, i'd be tempted to buy double the amount of clamps needed so when the first batch are taken out the oven, the next batch are already clamped and ready to pop in. I've never used a mug oven, so don't have any advise on that, but there might be a few on this forum that have. If you don't already have design software i'd recommend Coreldraw or Photoshop as you'll need to crop your images to fit the mug. I'd also consider a flat bed press so you would be able to do t'shirts or even coasters to compliment the mugs.

Good luck with your sublimation - I think your images will look brilliant on a mug, coaster or even a t'shirt.

Cheers John

SciArtImages
12-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for your reply John.
I am trying (!) to just buy the essentials to start with, so if I get on well with the oven I will buy an extra set of clamps - good idea. I already use Photoshop so that base is covered. I think the flat bed press will have to wait to see how I get on with the mugs. Thanks for your kind comments about my images - viewing things through a microscope certainly gives some unusual images - all nature's work!
Neil.

Lee
12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi Neil - I ve just checked out your site and I have to agree, I think youve got some great images! Im sure you will do well with the mugs ;-)