PDA

View Full Version : JP12 Heat Press

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi,

After getting great results almost straight away using the mug press I purchased last week I have decided to buy some other sub items such as jigsaws, coasters etc to see if I can do other items with the flatbed heat press I already have, its great for pressing t-shirts and babygrows with clothing vinyl I use but not sure its going to be ideal for the these other sorts of items.

The heat press I have is the JP12:-

Is it possible to press items such as mousemats, coasters and jigsaws etc with this budget heat press or am I going to have big problems?

Thanks

James

Paul
17-07-2011, 02:04 PM
it is possible but this is manual press so you need to make sure your temperature is set spot on. if you master that then i can not see any problems ;)

I think its only A4 (correct me if iam wrong) so you limited here. but again. 99% of my work is no biger then A4 any way :P

Justin
17-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Had one of these for a short while but didn't get on so well with it for above (temp) reasons. Seemed ok for coasters etc. No good for clothing. Mine seemed to have dead spots on the platen.

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Well I have the Ricoh 3300 so the A4 size is not a problem as thats what im limited to anyway.

The press does have a temp gauge on the top but im not sure how accurate it is as its not digital its a little speed dial type gauge. Id love to buy a new one to go with my other new equipment but funds are running low at the moment, im hoping to get 18k inheritence soon so will definatly be upgrading soon.

What kind of press do you use? or can you suggest I look at if I do buy one soon? Obviously to need an industrial factory press but something of good quality and good price, I could search all day on websites but theres no better information than from someone that uses them personally

Paul
17-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I got now A4 too as my large press broken down after over 4 years. bought this as needed to finish little order for club. but my is digital and costed me £115. If i would be you then I would buy best you can afford. It will last you long time and heat temperature will be consistent.

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Best I can afford is probably good advice, when my items get here ill have a go with the JP12 and see how I get on, once the house is sold ill maybe look into a George Knight as they seem to have some good quality stuff

Paul
17-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I think George Knight got life time warranty too hor heat platen ;)

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Have they really? Thats value for money, im on their website at the moment having a browse, ill have a look to see if I can see anything about warranty, they look like strong pieces of kit, not too bad a prive either

Justin
17-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Adkins or Stahls if you've got the money would be hard to beat. I have one of the older Adkins which I prefer but would very much like to try the Stahls auto release.

Xpres for Adkins, Target Transfers for Stahls.

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Cheers Justin, just checking them out, they look like good quality, Adkins do a nice one for about £500 which is good, when I first searched atkins in google it came up with ebay, I typed in heat press and couldnt believe my luck when I saw the prices £150+ then I remembered "Buy Cheap, Buy Twice" lol

Andrew
17-07-2011, 03:23 PM
We've got both GeoKnight and Adkins. As for GeoKnight having a lifetime platen warranty, ours turned up with a sizeable scratch on the surface and basically they washed their hands of it as we didn't notice it before trying the press out. Also find it not as consistent as the Adkins. Adkins was great and far superior imo.

Justin
17-07-2011, 03:28 PM
If it's the one I saw on eBay then don't bother. Buy new if you have the money. Go for an A3 press, most of the time you won't need it but it gives you the future proof flexability. Target Transfers actually hire some of the presses out, might be a short term option to see how you get on with it. I use a swing away which is better particularly for Tee's but a good quality clam is perfectly ok. The Stahls auto release is a clam but they've moved on a lot over the years and heat is now applied evenly across the blank as you lower the platen. The clam will save a lot of room. Adkins swing presses take a load of desk/room space!

James Fulwood
17-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Well thats not so good then, the build quality of the Adkins looks good, ive found the Adkins Clam Press 28 x 38cm for £495 which seems reasonable

James Fulwood
20-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Received my printables today, again very happy with what ive received, ive been having a little play and am pleased to say that even with my poor heat press I have had fantastic results, today ive printed coasters, jigsaws, aprons, mousemats and cushions and ive had great results with them.

I did make one mistake, when pressing my first 2 coasters I forgot to take off the protective film he he, you live you learn :)