PDA

View Full Version : finally Died - Geo Knight press

mrs maggot
31-07-2011, 07:09 PM
a stange thing happened the other day, turned on my fave heat press, and it got to 130 then went 125, 122, 113 and all the way down to 40 - so i think i need a new heat element, so one of my jobs this week is to get hold of them, and see what they will charge to fix it, i love my press, but will be using my generic chinese one for a while until its mended, main difference is, the chinese ones dont open up as wide as the geo knight, so i tend to burn my hands more

will let you know how i fare with customer services and costs etc, as will hopefully be of help to others

Ian M
31-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Hope you get it sorted Laura & in the meantime how about using some oven gloves.

jennywren
31-07-2011, 10:28 PM
God how awful I love my Geo Knight press, I would be interested in how you get on. Hopde you keep us posted

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 03:09 PM
well, fantastic response from them, email sent to US company, they sent it on to their UK representatives, RASmart, Cheshire, email from them asking me to confirm model and give them diagnosis, the parts are instock and service offered as follows:

Hi Laura,

The element itself costs £55.00, we recommend sending the press to us to replace as you have to flatten the platen as the torque bolts are retightened.

We charge £35 for the labour and £25 for post back to you.
You can change the element yourself and I can send you the platen tensioning instructions if you like?
Post for the element to you would be £8.00

my electrician says he will change it for me, its PAT testing time again, so i can get that done at the same time, but so far the response from them has been great and non less than i had hoped for,

Ian M
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Laura, that is fantastic response. Even if they did the work it's still pretty cheap in my opnion to know you will have a press that will last quite a few more years.

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 03:40 PM
yep thats what i thought, tbh, im debating a trip up to see them, and see if they will do it at the same time, one of the arms is a bit techie at times, but it is over 7 years old, never missed a beat, until now

Ian M
02-08-2011, 04:46 PM
yep thats what i thought, tbh, im debating a trip up to see them, and see if they will do it at the same time, one of the arms is a bit techie at times, but it is over 7 years old, never missed a beat, until now

Good thinking Laura. One of my arms is a bit techie at times & I'm older than 7 years old. Biggrin:

mrs maggot
02-08-2011, 04:53 PM
lol, yep i wonder if they could do my knees while im up there, two ops and still knackered lol

mrs maggot
11-08-2011, 11:24 AM
well, the parts will be here tomorrow, i have been using a replacement generic chinese press, and today after badly burning my hand, i have ordered the new bits. i forget how much wider the geoknight opens, so am so use to putting t shirt under with plenty of hand space, did same with a XXL t shirt on the chinese press and OUCH is all i can say.

draig
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Are you the original owner of the press Laura? Check your Warranty in the instruction book, mine states a Lifetime warranty on the Heat Element.

"If the press becomes defective during the Limited Warranty period of One Year for the entire press, Three Years for the control, or the Lifetime of the Heating Element, Geo.Knight & Co. reserves the right to recall the defective press to the factory for repairs, if on site component replacement is deemed noyt possible by Geo. Knight & Co. A return authorization must be granted by Geo. Knight & Co prior to its return".

Sharon

mrs maggot
11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
No unfortuantely i am not i bought it when it was about 5 years old and i have had it for nearly 4 years, i am not complaining about the price or the service they have offered, i must say when i look for a new press, i am staying with them

TGal
16-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I was just about to ask advice on which heat press to buy but I think this thread may have answered my question. I have an unbranded one which finally gave up the ghost today. I'd read that the Geo Knight ones were good but I was hoping for a less pricey option - maybe it will be worth it in the long term. I was looking at the DK20S but it is a bit beyond budget - Does anyone have experience of the DK16 or DK20?

mrs maggot
17-08-2011, 09:05 AM
i have a DK20 - and would not settle for anything less, however the company above do have some lovely italian presses in which are slightly cheaper, its the opening thats important on a clam shell, you will notice with g knight they lift right up so you can easily position things without getting burnt

mgibbs
18-08-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a DK16 and am happy with it.

Mark